Baby Pin Makes 1,811 Lux

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
It was a very *special* Baby Pin of course, definitely not the same as THIS one.

But before I get to how this lux reading was achieved, let me tell my little story -- first, it uses a different circuit:

fb1c4994.jpg

It's an interim fix that runs surprisingly well on just one 123 (and yes, it is indeed a 123 battery this time, not a CR2!).

Here's a picture of relative sizes as compared with other little lights we already know and love:

fb1c4992.jpg

The stock reflector was really quite mediocre, so an NX-05 was used:

fb1c496c.jpg
fb1c496b.jpg

And it registered a light meter reading of 357. Whoop de doo. TW4 (L4 head on E1 body) made 380. Another big whoop de doo.

But then -- BUT THEN -- I was moving stuff around on my workbench and look what just happened to roll together:

fb1c4986.jpg

I picked up the parts and fiddled with them. Hey, perfect fit:

fb1c4983.jpg
fb1c497c.jpg

The original head was used as a "candle mode stand" alá Minim*g to facilitate pitcher takin'.

And now for the piéce de resistance:

fb1c4975.jpg

I didn't bother with a beamshot as it simply looks like a dimmer Space Needle II, after all it's the same emitter and same reflector, just on 3V regulated vs. 9V direct.

Now wait'll the Real circuit gets here (any day now), the one that slightly overdrives the 5W at 800mah. In the meantime if I could just find a suitable holder for that big reflector...

I am determined to breathe life into my Baby Pin yet (*asbestos gloves not included).

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
be sure not to drop it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
As long as there can be found the right optic holder, both output and proportion-wise, this project may become a reality as far as offering them for sale. With drop-proof reflector, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlie,

You are having too much fun!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just don't get a big head! [Leave that to your lights.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ]

- Don

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Charlie,

Recently humbled inquires how it rides in the pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Larry,

Charlie doesn't pack the potato anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hey Charlie, make sure to produce some of those wonderful thingies in the snmallest version possible with a nice flood beam!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'd be definitely in for one of those mini mini 1x123 5W lights ...
bernhard

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Bernie it's a flood beam now! If I make these for sale maybe I'll just let you buy the proto...

For my purposes I need throw. Funny how whenever you show a light to someone they turn it on (maybe into their eyes first!), then shine it around the area, then immediately (and I mean immediately, while the light is still on) back up and try to shine it at something distant. So other than us knowledgeable CPF'ers, everyone else wants to see "how far this light can reach". That's the test, the bar, their opinion-maker, and if it doesn't light up stuff far away they ultimately say, "Naw, it's not that bright". Funny. Maybe that's how Mag stays at the "top" for so long, they figured out this quirk in the human perception of flashlights.

Given my occupation, everyone at work favors throw. So I usually try to make mods throwers.

And Hey Larry, obviously the big headed version rides "tail down"...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
ah ... thanx Charlie! cool.
now ... don't get me wrong, I do not object to throw, but right now you either have a small flood light or a bigger version with throw. When I want it small like this one I gladly accept flood-only to keep it as small and bright as possible. When I want throw I have to go "bigger reflector" nowadays, which gives me the opportunity to pack more batteries in a bigger body, too.
so ... I think a compromise with a very small light and a big head isn't the best choice, it kills the advantages og both concepts.
should you put a big head on this in the final run, I'll kiss your feet for this proto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bernie
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

p.s.: wash them first!