Why Tigerlight 8" ?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why Tigerlight 8

Nascar...I had a couple TL 8" before, and I think they're a good cheaper alternative to the M6. I love my M6, but sometimes I'm a little hesitent to use it because of the battery issue. Another reason I like the TL is because I can stand it on it's tailcap...so whenever I have a blackout, I can use it like a giant candle and light up my whole room.

The throw and light output is pretty impressive for a light that costs around $100.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
What amount of constant runtime should I expect. Will I get 1-hour without dimming?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray,

TL recommends shutting the light down when it starts to dim so that you do not over drain the batteries [appearantly bad for the batteries]. I have gotten pretty decent run times, although I haven't done any formal test, but I do not think I have gotten an hour. But then again TL says you may have to go through several charge cycles to break the battery into it's full potential [pun intended].

The TL will also out throw the M6 HOLA because of the smooth reflector. TL doesn't advertise their lumen rating, but my guess is that it is in the 250 range.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Ray,

I have no idea why you would want an 8" TigerLight, other than it is a very durable bright light that is fun to use because of the long lasting lamp and the rechargeable batteries. I have the full sized ones and use them all of the time.

Issues involve consistency with lamps, the position of the switch, and the charging time. I have not found those issues a concern, but your mileage may vary.

I get a little over 65 minutes on a full charged battery. The NiMh batteries have a reasonably flat discharge curve, so when the light goes dim, it drops off fast. I was concerned with the hour run time and the long charge time, so I got two of them. Two hours of bright light is just right for my uses.

The most fragile part of my light is the replacement UCL lens on one of them. The plastic lens will not break when dropped on the bezel, but the UCL lens may. I must warn you that a run time test with the UCL lens is OK, but the stock lens will start to melt during the test.

I believe it will hold it's own against the Ultra Stinger, but the M6 will over power it. You will still be able to see the hot spot of the TigerLight in the M6 beam, but the M6 puts out more light. It is best used as a medium range light.

Good luck in your decision.

Tom

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Thanks Tom. I have one on order. Guess I can sell it (again) if I don't like it.

flashlightlens, I don't want the added length of the 11" version and not really interested in the Pepper spray. I've seen too many people handle a constant dose of spray with little to no affect. It only aggravates the situation. I'd much rather use the light to blind someone (if a situation requiring force ever comes along) then cave their skull in with the bezel or body of the light.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
...not really interested in the Pepper spray. I've seen too many people handle a constant dose of spray with little to no affect...

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that a little disturbing for reasons related to my own situation. Are we talking about point blank application of a very high SHU cone or stream, such as Fox 5,300,000 to an individual? I'd really like to know the circumstances if you'd be willing to share.

Thanks,
Brightnorm

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast

NiCd's have a almost constant output voltage until they are just about dead, so when the lamp starts to dim, it means one or more cells are fully discharged. If you continue to operate the light after that point, you are reverse charging one or more cells, and that is the fastest way to kill a NiCd. Most Mobil phones that used NiCd's with say a 6V battery pack, shut off when the voltage got to 5Volts. It mean one cell was fully discharged, and continued discharge would simply damage the battery

chr00t

Newly Enlightened

--=R E C H A R G E A B L E=-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

M6 flashlight is nice. Personally I don't have these but I do not want hassle with CR123A batteries.

UltraStinger flashlight. I would love to have but US has weak in short and medium range. US is great long distance.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still have my original 8" Tigerlight I purchased from Tactical Warehouse some time ago. I like it more than the M6 because it's rechargeable, much cheaper, throws farther and is about the same size as the M6. That's not to take anything away from the M6. It's a great light with a prettier beam but it's difficult for me to lug around something so expensive without worrying about beating it up, but that's just me.

I like it more than my Ultrastinger because the US is too long. It's just too awkward to carry. My TL fits in my coat pocket. The other problem with the US is that my TL not only out-throws it (with the US set at tightest focus), but does so while putting out considerably more surround light. I mean enough to were you can be pointing it at a distant object and still have enough side spill to run and see the ground well enough not to fall into a hole or trip over something. This just isn't possible with the Ultrastinger at it's tightest focus. And if you have to adjust the US beam to emit more side spill, then what's the point? The TL does both (tight hotspot and plenty of surround) at the same time. I must have gotten a pretty good 2nd generation lamp, because the beam is nice and tight. It isn't as pretty as the M6 beam or the US beam though, due to the smooth reflector. But once you get outside and shine this thing around you can't see the imperfections any more any way.