Fenix HL20 XP-G R5 Mod

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had this HL20 sitting unused, and decided that it would be a good candidate for an XP-G mod.

100_1668.jpg

The obvious first task was opening the head. I like to use a mug warmer to soften the epoxy on most lights, and figured that it should work on the HL20 as well.

100_1742.jpg

The next step is to use my trusty strap wrench to get the head open. It worked after repositioning the strap. I was able to unscrew the head off with my hands once the epoxy seal was broken.

100_1744.jpg

Uh oh... broken wires. The LED is part of the head that I just unscrewed. Is this mod doomed? I am an eternal optimist, so I'm not too worried at this point.

100_1745.jpg

100_1746.jpg

A closeup shot showing the broken wires, and the screw in heatsink.

100_1747.jpg

The screw-in heatsink removed from the head, and the back of the LED board.

100_1748.jpg

All of the parts in the head laid out. The black centering ring fits over the LED, and is centered by the back of the reflector. This should ensure a perfectly centered LED every time. Good design, Fenix.

100_1757.jpg

An even closer view of the heatsink, LED board and centering ring.

100_1755.jpg

A look into the body of the headlamp showing the PCB. I removed some of the solder mask to test whether the positive wire and the pad on the board are connected. They are connected! I made the assumption that the pad on the other side was for the negative LED lead.

100_1758.jpg

After soldering the XP-G onto the existing board, I soldered teflon wires onto the pads that I exposed earlier. A quick connection to the LED board, and it is time for a quick test to verify that the mod is going to work. Success!

100_1760.jpg

The centering ring is in place, ready for installation into the head.

100_1761.jpg

The LED installed in the head, and the heatsink screwed back into place.

100_1762.jpg

Look into the gap between the head and body. See the twisted wires to the

LED? I figure that If I wind the wires counter-clockwise, that when I screw the head on, it will not bind the wires too bad.

100_1763.jpg

OK, the head is threaded back on, now it is time to test the light. It works. And the LED is perfectly focused, as it should be.

100_1765.jpg