arc d

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
with an arc body, turned down to be nice and shiney, for no other reason that...well...to be nice and shiney, i decided that i should put it somewhere i could use it, because it was impossible to turn on with one hand, and i've wanted to try alternative arc mods anyway. i decided that i should go ahead and put that useless arc to work.

i had some nice pictures during the production of this light, but the camera got sick, and the pics were deleted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

roth_1d_arc_aaa_5.jpg

roth_1d_arc_aaa_4.jpg

roth_1d_arc_aaa_2.jpg

here is the head. the pink stuff is nailpolish i *cough* borrowed *cough* from my sister. this ensures that the large positive nipple of the dcell battery does not ground out on the crimped area of the arc head. the foam was obviously removed. i also enlarged the solder dot a bit to insure good contact (the dcells i'm using have a concave surface in the nipple)

to make the negative connection to the led, i bored a hole in the endcap of a dcell maglite, and made it *just* wide enough to firmly press the arc head (it was turned down previously), and after the head was inserted, i potted the inside of the dcell cap with titanium epoxy, ensuring a good waterseal, and keeping the battery frompushing the arc back out.
roth_1d_arc_aaa_1.jpg

here is the head again, you can see that the dcell pushes up tight against it.
roth_1d_arc_aaa_8.jpg

here you can see the spring that's used to hold the dcell in suspension and provide firm electrical contact.
roth_1d_arc_aaa_7.jpg

here is the spring inside the light, showing how it makes contact with the body and the dcell
roth_1d_arc_aaa_6.jpg

here it is, next to my mmm and e2e.

i took a dcell maglite, and cut the bottom section off. i used the tailcap with a hole in it to hold the arc head, and i took another endcap and took the threading off, and removed the annodyzing of the body to ensure good electrical contact. i then took another piece, and pressfit it inside the dcell endcap to make connection with the end of the battery. i then took the body and the endcap to the vice and used my superhuman strength to push them together.

the light works the same way as a regular arc now. the mag doesn't use it's threading for electrical connection, but uses a thin strip of bare aluminum on the endcap and the end of the tube, so when they are screwed down to touch each other, the light turns on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE and sweet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Very nice work Roth.
I really like how the Arc head fits in flush with the surface of the body.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yes ticey, i do to. i kind of wish the arc head was a gold color though, as would be a nice accent.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
now try staying awake for a runtime test!
and btw, your pink nail polish is quite cute, no need to be ashamed of that, there are more men that use such things you know ...
... Blue Oyster Bar ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks bernhard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yea..ok...it's my polish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
but the purple, red, blue, green, and sparkally ones are my sisters! honest!

i'll leave the runtime tests to others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i'm content to enjoy this creation as i stumble downstairs to the fridge in the middle of the morning, when i should be long asleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Will will love the runtime.
You will get around 70 hours of GOOD light before you really notice a difference.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
now that does sound nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anybody know where i can get a 1.5v sla for cheap? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth,

That is the second neatest thing I've ever seen. Wow. Cool! You are truly a creative modder.

Wilkey

iddibhai

Enlightened
hmm here's an idea: a cluster of AAAs, installed at various depths, the more you tighten the more heads light up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif or something. yea.

so, ginseng, what's the neatest thing you've ever seen? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good one Roth! Yeah, it would have magical runtimes. It'd be excellent for camping!

E

EchoSierraTwo

Roth your mods are an inspiration. I look foward to you next one. I can't wait to get started.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Roth,

That is the second neatest thing I've ever seen. Wow. Cool! You are truly a creative modder.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

coming from a man who modded a butternut squash, i'm truly honored! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

iddy! i've actually been wanting to do that ever since i got my first arc aaa!
i figured it would use 2d's and around 10 arc heads. they would be arranged in a circular pattern and have a master switch on the body, and the individual arcs would screw in or out, to make them work individually.

thanks tiger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
my next mod is actually pretty close to being done...keep your eyes open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

silverfox, i could probably bore and thread a 1/4-20 hole in the back of the light and use one of those keychain thingies.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roth, I'm already working on my next crazy mod. It's called the "Junkyard Dog"

I should be posting in a week or so. Two if hurricane Isabel is gonna be a beotch.

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sounds good ginny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

junkyard dog huh? hmmm.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Roth,

Your next assignment is to find one of the 1.5V cylindrical cells my father used for the glo plugs of his model airplanes when I was a kid. (Abt 3" dia X 10" tall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Congrads on the sucessful Press fit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i found a vice in the corner of the garage...alot easier than using a hammer, as i've done in the past! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif