Hello - Surefire G2 question

Z

z_GJUK

Hello,

I'm a new member and this looks like a really great forum to be a part of.

I might be asking a few 'stupid' questions to start off with but I picku p things quickly.

I have a Surefire G2 which I've had for a while and recently i bought some rechargeable batteries for it, which appear to burn lamp out on the torch, almost instantly :(

After googling the problem, i wasn't meant to use rechargeable with it :(

Can you get working rechargeable with this torch?

Also, are there any 'good' lamps to get for a G2, better than standard ones perhaps or any LED conversions which are easy to do?

Thanks guys,

Jon

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
One solution is to buy a 7.4v dropin from a vendor on the internet. I have a couple like that. The original Surefire bulb will :poof: on 2 RCR123. Ask me how I know that! There are lots of LED dropins as well. I prefer the natural color rendition of the incandescent bulb. I have one that has a stock surefire incandescent, but I run it on a 17650. It's my creep around the house low-level light. :devil:

jugg2

Enlightened
Look at Lumens Factory bulbs. You can order direct from their website or better yet order from Lighthound! When you order from Lighthound you avoid having to wait for shipment from overseas... And Lumens Factory really backs up their products! If I have ever had a problem with a bulb they always ship a new one out ASAP! Definitely a great company to deal with!

Caleb Wilson

maxndale

Newly Enlightened
Im in the same boat I have a G2 and an old 6P thats been a great workhorse. I purchased a R2 Cree Led bulb to drop in off Ebay for $18.00. I dropped in my G2 and it seems to work well, but inn reading about heat it looks like I could have a problem.

I can put in my 6P if needed. My question is how much more lumens have I gained from putting this in my light?

And I also didn't realize you couldn't use rechargable batteries..

thanks.

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
And I also didn't realize you couldn't use rechargable batteries..

thanks.

The surefire P60 bulb is 6 volts. A cr123a primary is 3 volts x2 =6 volts, a rechargable rcr123 is 3.7 nominal and 4.2 fully charged. So the voltage with 2 rechargable rcr123 is between 7.4 and 8.4 volts that would make a bulb go :poof:

bouncer

Enlightened
Either go the led route or use a surefire p90 for incan, DO NOT use a P91 for your own safety.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, use either a P90 (or equivalent) bulb, or better yet get an LED dropin for that voltage range, I recommend the malkoff M61WL or M61WLL, they're pricey but the best on the market. Low cost imports may work, but most of them run too hot for reliable operation in a plastic light (the led overheats and kills itself).

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
A P90 and two IMR16340's is one of my favorite combos in the G2. My backup work light has an unfrosted Lumens Factory EO-9 in it. I also replace the lexan lens with a hardened mineral glass one on all of my G2's.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interestingly, I did not know that the model is so old, they were brought to my nearest store just a month ago, since then I have become interested Surefire
There are a lot of reasons to like the original incandescent G2. With the availability of high CRI LED drop ins these days, it is easy to get one and use a 16650 Li-Ion rechargeable cell with it. Lumens Factory sells a drop in Neutral White or 90+ CRI, but it is only a single mode ~700 lumen output. Mountain Electronics has their CUXM/CUXP drop in with a Nichia option, and the choice of several different sets of modes. And, of course, there are the Cadillacs of drop ins, the Malkoffs. Somewhat more expensive, but built to last and fantastic customer service.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interestingly, I did not know that the model is so old, they were brought to my nearest store just a month ago, since then I have become interested Surefire

There are also practical benefits to the G2 body as well: not as prone to environmental awkwardness. Unlike aluminum, it won't become uncomfortably hot in the summer, nor uncomfortably cold in winter, or in rainy conditions.

If you like the G2, you might want to snag an extra one, since they're out of formal production by Surefire.

ven

Flashaholic
Agree, enjoying the g2 myself and also late to the party. I kind of did things the other way around, c2,6p etc 1st, then g2 and g2x later on.
Its good to have a light that bounces...................:)

Fed on 16650 fuel, as with other surefire's that have not been bored out.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven, how do you get dependable contact between the lip of the metal sleeve and your drop in? Wrapping wasn't dependable for me, so I've resorted to putting self adhesive copper strips in the socket, one end on the sleeve and the other extending into the socket to make contact with the drop in. Seems to work.

ven

Flashaholic
I cant remember right now tbh, its in work as well. iirc it may have a cut down spring to aid contact...............

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used three separate drop ins in my G2, one from Mountain Electronics, and two from Lumens Factory, and have never had a problem with making good contact. I guess it just depends on the individual drop ins.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ya know? I had been using a Malkoff drop in with no issue what-so-ever in a G2, and the other day I removed to try in a different light. When I put it back it was plaqued with erratic contact. Weird.

I carefully tugged on the spring that fastens to the module and it worked fine. I just thought it odd that after a year + of use with no issue it started acting up.

Those lumens factory P60 style incan replacement modules are fine. I read they darken over time where the SureFire ones do not. But I wanted similar output to the P60 so I bought a Malkoff M61 Warm Low/Low (WLL) for like $40 shipped and it has paid for itself in battery cost. 10 hours of regulated runtime has made it so the cells I put in 18 months ago are still the ones in it as I type this.

For a P61 type output (125 lumens iirc) the WL or neutral tinted NL will give that G2 a bunch of WOW while still running 5+ hours on regular cells. As a bonus Gene builds them to handle RCR123's or those 650 length rechargeables due to allowing a wide range of voltages.
The beam will differ from a narrow spot of the P60 with great spill to a wider spot with very similar spill. Throw is virtually the same with the WLL and the L... well see-ing is believing.

Good choices desert snake and welcome to the site.
It's great to see new members bring back old threads instead of starting new ones. We get a blast from the past and it shows they at least tried to find answers before asking for help. Good job :thumbsup:

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, friends!

Batteries 16650 came, they work fine. But the drop-in Malkoff is still on the road.
I think it's time to use the 16650 with the original lamp, but I read that halogen lamps with low voltage lose
their life time faster, since the temperature is insufficient and tungsten does not precipitate back onto
the spiral in sufficient quantity.

Tell me please, at what voltage should I stop the work and recharge the batteries?