New look for my Preon 2 Titanium

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my Preon 2 Titanium for a few weeks now. When I ordered it, I wasn't too crazy about the shiny look of the light. I much prefer the matte of the other Preon offerings, but in my experience, the anodizing always wears off at some point on aluminum. Plus, I like the fact that titanium is tougher than steel, but a fraction of the weight, so I got the titanium knowing that it would soon get all scratched up (I USE my lights, not one shelf queen in my collection).

After a couple of days clipped in my right front pants pocket, my Preon became scratched like I knew it would. I figured I'd just live with it since I love the light so much. BUT, it did look horrible! Then I got to thinking I could probably glass bead blast or sand blast my Preon to give it the matte look I wanted. So that's what I did yesterday and today.

Yesterday, I first tried just glass bead blasting it to see what it would look like and it just made the gloss turn foggy, almost like the surface had gotten cold and someone breathed on it. That isnt what I wanted, so I then sand blasted it. That left the surface way too dull, but DID improve the grip immensely!! :thumbsup: That wasnt the look I wanted either. So after carrying it today in the sand blasted state, I thought What if I glass bead blasted it now after sand blasting it?. So tonight, thats what I did. Photos below are through the whole process minus the glass bead blasted only step.

In the photos, the tail cap is covered with heat shrink tubing so when I need to bite-hold my light, it's much easier on the teeth. I didn't blast the tail cap, since it's always going to be covered anyway. I left the clip the way it was for a nice contrast.

My scratched up light with a pristine Preon 1 body.

Preon2_01_rs.jpg

Sand blasted only on the Preon 2, with sand blasting over glass bead blasting on the Preon 1 body.

Preon2_04_rs.jpg

The following 3 photos are of glass bead blasting over sand blasting to polish it up and give it a nice sheen. Turned out EXACTLY like I wanted it to.

Preon2_07_rs.jpg

Preon2_08_rs.jpg

Preon2_09_rs.jpg

uknewbie

Banned
That looks awesome, much better.

Did you pay someone to do it or do it yourself?

I have a Ray S20 in stainless steel which comes with a matte finish, sand blasted and I think it is a great finish. Does not show fingerprints or scratches, fantastic.

:thumbsup:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
they should come out with a satin finish Ti Preon 2 that would be awesome

According to 47s, they are.

"As the polished models start to sell out, they will be replaced with their satin finish brethren. So in a way, the polished are a bit of a limited offering now - once they run out, the next batches will be satin.

This transition also includes our titanium Preons (and the Preon Ti-Black)."

I've been waiting for a while now....

mrlysle

Enlightened
That thing looks incredible srvctec! Maybe you should offer the service for others who might want blasting done to some of their lights. I for one can think of a couple I would send to you to have worked on. Awesome look!

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I did something similar with my County Comm titanium Embassy Pen, though I stopped at the sandblasted stage, as I was happy with the texture and know it will wear well. Now I plan to get a Preon 2 and do the same. I'm glad to know it will turn out so well. What did you use to protect the lens when sandblasting?
Here's a pic of my pen
2011-07-28_16-34-40_822.jpg