Review of Jetbeam TC-R2 and Sunwayman Ti V10R - PHOTO HEAVY!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings!

First weekend in a while that there's been free time - thought I'd take some time to share my thoughts on two very interesting new lights.

I won't attempt to top the beautiful photos in this post - I encourage you to visit and enjoy those photos. Meanwhile, this is a brief, real world review of two lights that are capturing quite a bit of attention - one is a relative newcomer, Sunwayman - and their beautiful Titanium V10R - the other is an old established player, Jetbeam, and their beautiful Titanium TC-R2.

These lights both appeal to me because they include some of my favorite features:

Titanium

Clicky switch

Tail stand

Surefire Titan-like control ring

Ultra low low, with very bright high

I've included some other familiar players as points of reference. So no further delay - I've labeled the lights below - I always find it useful to see lights compared for size so that I can get a good idea of the size of the NEW light...

IMG_4601.JPG

By now you probably know that the Jetbeam is a limited edition offering - sold out almost everywhere - that utilizes their magnetic control ring. In my sphere I measure it as low as .03 lux - that equates to uber low lumen for sure! In a different post I shared the results of my own simulated ANSI test of the Jetbeam - and included temperature ratings and voltage/amperage readings - I'll share it again here:

The first test was with an AW RCR 123 cell

TCR2%20READINGS.jpg

Then, at the request of a fellow CPFer, I also conducted the same test with a Surefire primary and an AW IMR 16340

TC-R2%202.jpg

My opinion is that the results are fantastic - after 10 minutes of run time with the AW RCR, the light was still putting out almost 290 lumen. Jetbeam rates it as 310 ANSI - when you consider what we can perceive with our eyes, the 20 lumen disparity is arguably un-noticeable.

So of course, the same test needed to be run on the Sunwayman, but no primaries were used in this test. Sunwayman rates their light at 210 lumen, but they don't specify ANSI. As you can see, with the AW RCR123 it would stand up to the ANSI scrutiny...

V10R%20heat%20and%20run%20test.jpg

The Sunwayman is about 5/8 inch shorter than the Jetbeam - that lower mass translated into one hot light! At the end of the RCR test, it was too hot to hold.

As you probably know, the Jetbeam uses a Cree XPG S2 emitter (left), while the Sunwayman uses an XPG R5 (right):

IMG_4603.JPG

Jetbeam left - Sunwayman right

IMG_4606.JPG

In my opinion the Jetbeam has a SLIGHTLY better beam overall. I think the Sunwayman (henceforth SWM) is slightly outgunned by the S2 emitter. This morning moving about early the not as low as the JB was noticeable, but interestingly, the low level of the SWM was pretty much on target for the level I use. Its still VERY low, but the JB is significantly lower.

Outdoors on my pre-dawn dog walk, I had lots of time to compare. The JB is a 'better' beam to me - its extra brightness comes, on close examination, from a larger spot and more spill. The SWM has a 'Haiku like' spot/spill, but just not quite as much 'oomph' out to the edges.

To me, the REAL strength of the SWM is in the construction and design. Minimalist tank of titanium - noticeably better control ring - more usable size (for me) - an amazing example of the manufacturer possibly copying the best parts of a McGizmo and Surefire. Part of the reduced length comes obviously from a smaller body - the smaller body comes from having about half the threads of the JB. But they are solid, deep titanium threads, and when screwed together, the SWM feels like a 'chunk' of solid ti, while the JB is a bit 'loosy'.

IMG_4609.JPG

Jetbeam has inner threads on the body/outer on the head...

IMG_4610.JPG

While the Sunwayman is opposite

IMG_4611.JPG

UPDATE!

Many of you are concerned with how low will it go (you know who you are....:nana:), so Ive added the photo below. Its self explanatory. Im going to keep trying to get a better photo but for now this one will do (hopefully.)

IMG_4635.JPG

In yet another post, a member asked about how the beam size and shape compared between the two lights. I decided to take it a step further and compare a number of lights. I created a scale (crude) on a piece of poster board - hopefully you can see the markings (which indicate INCHES) and get an idea of the size of each beam. White balance was manually locked, and the first set of photos the camera was set manually with 1/100 shutter, ISO100, and f7.1. The camera was about a meter from the board, and I held the lights with the bezel even with the end of the lens, and tried to aim the light so that the beam was centered on the 'cross-hairs.'

UPDATE 1/9/2011 - I've added SUBJECTIVE assessments of the diameter of the spots. Again, this is subjective and may appear different on your monitor. Basically, if I could see the number, that's the number I used - your assessment may be different. If you take exception, please feel free to express your opinion, but also please be mindful that everyone may see this differently. My goal here (while obviously I have too much time on my hands :)) is to provide more data for your consideration.

For your consideration:

Summary chart - using the V10R as control, Ive charted the relative difference of each lights spot or spill as related to the V10R

100%20shutter%20comparison.jpg

12 inches diameter - hotspot 5 inches

IMG_4613.JPG

15 inches diameter - hotspot 5 inches

IMG_4614.JPG

12 inches diameter - hotspot 4 inches

IMG_4615.JPG

9 inches diameter - hotspot 4 inches

IMG_4616.JPG

13 inches diameter - hotspot 6 inches

IMG_4617.JPG

17 inches diameter - hotspot 11 inches

IMG_4618.JPG

12 inches diameter - hotspot 4 inches

IMG_4619.JPG

11 inches diameter - hotspot 6 inches

IMG_4620.JPG

10 inches diameter - hotspot 5 inches

IMG_4621.JPG

11 inches diameter - hotspot 4 inches

IMG_4622.JPG

7 inches diameter - hotspot 3 inches

IMG_4623.JPG

The next set of photos are with a 1/30 shutter speed -- you can view this series of photos in an animated format HERE

30%20shutter%20comparison.jpg

21 inches diameter - hotspot 8 inches

IMG_4624.JPG

23 inches diameter - hotspot 9 inches

IMG_4625.JPG

25 inches diameter - hotspot 8 inches

IMG_4626.JPG

21 inches diameter - hotspot 8 inches

IMG_4627.JPG

22 inches diameter - hotspot 10 inches

IMG_4628.JPG

24 inches diameter - hotspot 14 inches

IMG_4629.JPG

17 inches diameter - hotspot 1 -11 inches center spot - 4 inches

IMG_4630.JPG

20 inches diameter - hotspot 9 inches

IMG_4631.JPG

14 inches diameter - hotspot 8 inches

IMG_4632.JPG

16 inches diameter - hotspot 7 inches

IMG_4633.JPG

12 inches diameter - hotspot 5 inches

IMG_4634.JPG

So which is the better? Hard to say....they are both quite good, and tremendous values. If you want a more ornate device - and a bit more brightness, then the Jetbeam is a great choice. If you want a smaller size, a bit more understated design, and a rock solid control ring, then the Sunwayman won't disappoint. Heck, do what any flashaholic would do - buy 'em both!

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Great review, i just got my tcr2 and love it..did you test to see if the battery drains on standby mode?

justlux

Newly Enlightened
Do you know what the lux is on high on the Sunwayman V10R please?

Thanks,

Jessica

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i remember this thread. lots of great stuff here that was lost.

thanks for another insightful review!

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I have yet to find a photo of the clip on the Sunwayman... I hear it doesn't match the light... Also, anybody tried to sand/polish it to get it to match the light?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Does anyone know the specs of the screws that hold the clip on the tcr2?
Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2