What do you guys like for pens? ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
A few years ago my wife let me buy myself a Pelikan M800 fountain pen, a bit of a grail pen for me.

I was considering a Pelikan R600 or R800 rollerball to go along with it, but they're just too much money for me to justify.

This Lamy Swift looks kinda cool.

http://www.lamyusa.com/lamy_rollerball_L331_swift.php

I'd consider another German RB pen, maybe a Kaweco or Lamy if not too expensive.

I think I also kind like these, take Fisher Space Pen refills.

http://amzn.to/easvdQ

http://www.countycomm.com/PEN.htm

What do you guys like for RB pens?

Chris

ewmccraw

Newly Enlightened
A few years ago my wife let me buy myself a Pelikan M800 fountain pen, a bit of a grail pen for me.

I was considering a Pelikan R600 or R800 rollerball to go along with it, but they're just too much money for me to justify.

This Lamy Swift looks kinda cool.

http://www.lamyusa.com/lamy_rollerball_L331_swift.php

I'd consider another German RB pen, maybe a Kaweco or Lamy if not too expensive.

I think I also kind like these, take Fisher Space Pen refills.

http://amzn.to/easvdQ

http://www.countycomm.com/PEN.htm

What do you guys like for RB pens?

Chris

I like this...

100_4599.JPG

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my fisher spacepen, but recently jumped on this project from kickstarter for a high end pen. Hoping it turns out as good as it looks and sounds.

Last edited:

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
My favorite by far is the Pilot G2. Wish I could find a nice host (Surefire, Schrade, Benchmade, etc.) that takes unmodified G2 refills.

RonReagan

Newly Enlightened
I use Cross, Parker, and Waterman for the moment. What I usually did was buy the mont blanc refills (forgot which one) and cut down the top so it would fit inside of the G2 giving a far better writing experience.

tam17

Enlightened
A brushed chrome/red Parker Jotter, running on a stock blue refill. Never failed me or ran out of ink in two years of everyday use.

BCGarrick

Newly Enlightened
I use a bench made pen as well as the TUL line of pens...

Sent from my iPad

Walterk

Enlightened
For two decades; the Pentel pencil. The ''Sharp™ Mechanical Drafting Pencil, 0.9mm'' to be precise.
And when ink is needed any Bic.

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
I have many pens but I have been carrying this Fisher Space Pen every day since 1975. I have other space pens but they never make it out of the house.

SpacePen-on_Jeep.jpg

I guess you could say I am very fond of it. :grin2:

surefire7

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Zebra F-301 compact...they seem to be harder to find lately.

Lucciola

Enlightened
I have used a red Usus Io for a while which was a great pen with unique magnetic opening/closing. Looked good and felt very nice and heavy in the hand. Unfortunately I droped it in the yard at work and before I could retrieve it a 40 ton truck run over it. Bad luck :shrug:.

I also liked the format and mechanism of the space pen shown in the post above which I carried as well for about 2 years. However the refill tended to blot a bit so the writing was not so clean. That's why I didn't replace it when I lost it. :shrug:

So finally I bought myself a Parker Jotter, completely steel and it seems to be the perfect pen for me: Looks good, also in a business environment, great long lasting refill, smooth writing, comfortable in the hand. And for an EDC pen very important: Not too expensive in case I loose it or if it gets run over by a 40 ton truck. :whistle:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Many of the good choices have already been mentioned. I keep a Parker Jotter on my desk, and one in the kitchen. I used to use a G2 at my former job for writing reports. The Schrade tactical pen makes a surprising good EDC pen for normal writing chores. The cap fits on the end of the pen with a nice friction fit, and stays in place. It's one of the most comfortable pens I've used for writing, and has been my main EDC pen for over a year now. Still going strong on the same refill despite heavy use. Even owned the original style clicky Space pen. Not sure what happened to it. Back then, Fisher refills weren't nearly as good as they are now. Felt like writing with a piece of chalk. I'd buy it again for a good price.

I have an engraved Pelican 800 ballpoint. Excellent pen. Very comfortable. But yeah, paying that much for a shell is hard to justify. I'm glad I own it. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the fountain pen version. I have a less expensive Pelikan RB. A bit too thin. Pelikan makes the best rollerball refills in the industry. (I used to work as a high-end pen salesman a few years ago.) One trick is to buy a less expensive Waterman RB, and then use Pelikan refills in it. They take the same shape refills. Only minor thing is, Pelikan's are just a tad longer. The tip will protrude out a bit more in the Waterman. But not a great deal more. You can still write with the Waterman and cap it too.

OCD

Enlightened
This is my EDC pen (and one of my lights). I'm not sure what brand it is as it is a promotional pen that my company has (it has our logo etched on the other side.) It has decent heft to it (I believe it is stainless) and takes Parker refills.

Every now and then I go back to one of my several Parker Jotters, but always end up coming back to this one. I guess I just really like how it matches my SST Maratac AAA!

I've been carrying this one for around 10 yrs now. I have 2 more new ones just like it in the event I loose this one. Except the twist mechanisms are very stiff on the new ones. I guess they will break in if and when I ever use them.

pen.jpg

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've started EDC'ing a Parker Urban Stainless Steel. Feels nice and solid. It should hold up to spending weekends in the pocket with my keys (shirt pocket during the week). I'm not fussy about which refills I use. Usually I'm signing a geocache log, or filling out a job sheet for work, so as long as ink comes out of it, it's ok for my needs.

I love the look of this pen, and picked the SS, hoping it'll hold up to some abuse.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
Zebra F-701. It's a good-looking, sturdy, all-stainless pen with a knurled grip. I don't see it as a "tactical" pen, though it could be used in a pinch. It goes through airport inspection and federal building entrances without a second glance. As a pen, it's just the right size, shape and weight for me.

I've carried one every day for a couple of years and finally had to change the refill. It looks as good as the day I first clipped it to my pocket. Pen and refills are inexpensive and available at Walmart.

At amazon.com

All my best,
Dirty Bob

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC pen in my pocket 24/7 is a Zebra F-301 COMPACT, the little one that stores inside the cap. I loved the Fisher space "bullet" pens for awhile until I realized that every single one of them would leak, so when I went to use it, a big linty ball of ink would splotch onto the paper. The Zebras ALWAYS work and a great bang for the buck. They're like 4 or 5 bucks for a 2-pack so it's no big shakes if you lose it.

For a full-size pen, I love the Parker IM Rollerball. I have mine clipped to my shirt right now. Handy, smooth writer and cool lookin'.