No skill sharpening system suggestions

AaronG

Enlightened
I have no sharpening experience at all and no eye for angles. With that in mind what would you suggest? I would like to sharpen full size kitchen knives as well as small folders.

I was originally looking at a chef's choice electric but my Dad was telling me that electric sharpeners eat knives. I've seen a lot of posts about the spyderco sharp maker. Is the sharp maker a good newbie system? Some of my knives have a recurve so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

predator86

Newly Enlightened
Re: No skill sharpening sysytem suggestions

Look into the Lansky sharping systems. For around $30 you can get a simple sharping kit that puts a nice edge on anything.

Meganoggin

Enlightened

Sharpmaker! They are easy to use and get my knives really very sharp. If you are trying to get a really dull knife back to propper sharp, it will take a long time, unless you buy the diamond rods to go with the sharpmaker.

Once you have your knives sharp, the sharpmaker will keep them shaving sharp with just a few passes.

The sharpmaker is ideal for recurves (any rod system will sharpen a recurve).

You also get a good video instruction dvd with the sharpmaker.

I hope this helps - any other questions, fire away!

GunnarGG

Enlightened

There are probably several good systems but regarding the Sharpmaker a agree with Meganoggin.
I use mine for my small folders, Moraknives and all my kitchen knives.
I'm not very trained but it's easy to get really sharp result.
The diamond rods has saved me a lot of time and work when I have sharpened a knife for the first time and wanted to get a more narrow (30 degree) back bevel.
Then it's quick and easy to get and keep a sharp 40 degree edge with the rods that come with the sharpmaker.

I did also get the superfine rods but don't see any use of them. I get a finer edge but no improvement in cutting ability.
You get a really sharp and fine edge with the original fine stones anyway.

357mag1

Enlightened

It isn't cheap but Chef's Choice "Edge Select 120" will have your knives shaving sharp in less than 5 minutes. I got my next door neighbor one as he couldn't sharpen a knife to save his life. Now all his buddies think he is some kind of sharpening wizard. I use one for kitchen knives and cheap carry knives. My high quality knives get sharpened by hand only because the with the Edge Select it is hard to get every little piece of the blade. I always touch them up on a ceramic steel to get that razor edge.

The biggest trick to understand about sharpening is the too edges need to meet or you will never get a sharp knife. Sounds simple but I have sharpened many knives for people who couldn't get them sharp and the edges never were ground down to meet.

AaronG

Enlightened

Thanks guys. I ended up getting a sharp maker. So far I've had mixed results. I guess I need to work on my technique. I seem to have trouble near the end of the blade. Part of the problem is that the rods have a bit of play in the holder.

Meganoggin

Enlightened

Thanks guys. I ended up getting a sharp maker. So far I've had mixed results. I guess I need to work on my technique. I seem to have trouble near the end of the blade. Part of the problem is that the rods have a bit of play in the holder.

It sounds like you are usung too much pressure. You have to let the abrasive rod do the work, also make sure you are usung the right angle, I tried to sharpen all my knives at the 30 degree slot, that's sharper right? Wrong! Most of my knives have a 40 degree grind, as soon as I changed I could feel the rods bite. Once you feel it you will know.

Slow and smooth, is the way to start.

I hope this helps - cheers - Pete.

p.s. Don't start with S30V, try an easier steel first to get your technique.

brewcity59

Newly Enlightened

have to agree with Meganoggin -- Slow and steady with the Sharpmaker. Technique and patience are crucial. I know Sal makes it look easy on the video, but if you keep things lined up and take your time, you'll do fine. Try it out for a while with some of your "junk" knives first. You'll be amazed at the results on the softer steels.

FYI -- If possible, try not to let your knives get "dull". By that I mean, touch up the edges more frequently, rather than waiting until they are unusable. Also, I have had great success with the DMT diafolds diamond sharpeners. They are outstanding if you can keep your angles correct.

Good luck!

Ping Pong

Newly Enlightened

As easy as the Sharpmaker is, there is a learning curve. Don't despair, you will get better at it in time. While you're at it, why not try out an Arkansas soft stone. Freehand sharpening can be learned, even by lunkheads like myself.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I seem to have trouble with the right side of the blade on my Sharpmaker and I'm right handed. I don't know if I'm tilting the blade more on that side or what the problem is. I know, it sounds silly but I cannot correct the problem.

It does do a great job at touching up my knives to keep them shaving sharp.

Ping Pong

Newly Enlightened

Just take it slow and really watch blade flatness as you draw it across the stone. I've gotten better at this and can now go a little faster. It's all about muscle memory and the more you do it, the better you'll get.

AaronG

Enlightened

thanks guys. I seem to have the problem on one side as well. I don't really see how I could go any lighter but I'll give it a try. The softer steels are definitely easier. The S30V is a PITA! I always seem to leave a bit of a burr on one side. I'll keep working at it though. Eventually I think I'l get a system that can fix up really dull knives and change the angle without too much time and effort.

kland1234

Newly Enlightened

Kudos for the recommendation for the Sharpmaker. I have bought 2-3 similar priced sharpeners over the years and have been able to get satisfactory results, but none of them would get my knives back to factory sharp or shaving sharp. Well, even without watching the DVD yet, I instantly got my folders back to shaving sharp with no problem! Even my 30 year old carbon steel pocket knife. It won't stay sharp long but it sure dressed up nice. Very easy tool to use and very effective. Highly recommended! Again I have not watched the video yet, but I do want to throw a question out to you who are more experienced. I had great luck on small folders, but when trying the same 40 degree angle an my thin blade kitchen paring knives they didn't seem to get sharpened as well?

Meganoggin

Enlightened

Take a magic marker and make a mark on the edge grind, the do a couple of gentle passes on the sharpmaker - take a look at the mark, this should let you see if you are sharpening at the right angle. Most good quality kitchen knives will be sharper than 40 degrees, so try the other slots.

The magic marker trick is very useful and can save a lot of frustration. Dont forget that the brown stones do nearly all the work, so if it hasn't got an edge after the brown stones, the white ones won't do it.

kland1234

Newly Enlightened

Take a magic marker and make a mark on the edge grind, the do a couple of gentle passes on the sharpmaker - take a look at the mark, this should let you see if you are sharpening at the right angle. Most good quality kitchen knives will be sharper than 40 degrees, so try the other slots.

The magic marker trick is very useful and can save a lot of frustration. Dont forget that the brown stones do nearly all the work, so if it hasn't got an edge after the brown stones, the white ones won't do it.
Now that is one great idea! I will give that a try and it seems like a good idea for a first pass on any knife. Cheers!

Meganoggin

Enlightened

No worries - another Tip: clean the rods with abrasive bleach cleaner (the old fashioned scrubbing powder) before each sharpening session. Try it - it works!

Quest4fire

Enlightened

I use a Master Grade commercial knife sharpener. It does not have stones but uses wheels (Drum-shaped) which have a sanding belt over a sponge-like rubber material. This causes the sharpening surface to conform to the knife edge and put a smooth, even edge that is razor sharp in only a few passes. A guy used it in a commercial to sharpen a piece of sheet metal in only a few passes and sliced a sheet of paper into confetti!
If you don't happen to have your fancy, high-dollar sharpener handy though (Camping for instance) you have to do it the old fashioned way. That takes practice, no way around it, to improve your technique. World renowned knife maker outlines his method for sharpening knives here about 2/3's of the way down a long web page.

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try the Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool Sharpener.
Work great.