Looking for a brighter 60W candelabra base bulb?

Z

z_delightful

Hello all,

I have been looking around but coming up empty so I thought I'd ask the experts.

I just installed a ceiling fan with a single 60W candelabra base (very small 30 fan) but the light output with a 60W incan is pathetic (the package says 610 lumens) and it doesnt light up the room like I need it to.

All of the candelabra base LED bulbs I see online are designed for energy savings. I don't care about energy savings, I need the brightest LED bulb that will fit in a candelabra base and not exceed 60W.

I was going to buy the Ecostar 13w but from some of the reviews on here it seems that it only barely outperforms a 60W incan for 10 times the cost.

Any ideas? I'm willing to spend up to $100 for a single bulb if I have to.

Thanks!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recovered the following data from Google's cache manually.
Please post any errors and corrections in a new post below.
-
The format is:
Date, time, old postcount#, poster;
post data
-
I will try to fix the CPF links in the next 2 weeks or until I give up in frustration. Can not do that and verify with CPF down.

-----

01-18-2011 02:36 PM #2 purduephotog

I have the ecosmart unit that is 18$- it works OK in a single bulb fixtures as all of the light goes 'down' or in the direction of the bulb.

If you don't get enough light out of a 60 watt incandescent bulb no commercial LED bulb will work better. You'll need a splitter.

-----

01-19-2011 08:48 AM #3 delightful

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I don't mind getting a splitter...if it's safe. It's a 60W max fixture, is it ok to run 2 60W bulbs through it?

Alternatively, will a 60W medium base bulb put out more light? I can use a candelabra to medium base adapter if that's the case....even if it's another 100 lumens it might be worth it.

Thanks!

-----

01-20-2011 01:26 PM #4 deadrx7conv

Its a 60w max fixture, usually due to heat issues. So, don't run 2x 60w bulbs. But, you can run 2x LED or CFL bulbs since they'll use about <14w each for a total of <28w and should increase the light output.

Using the candelabra to medium base adapter will give you plenty of choices. But, the adapter adds length and I find that most of my enclosed fixtures have an issue with certain bulbs that are too long. If its an open fixture, and you don't mind the bulb sticking out, get the adapter. With the adapter, if there is room, you can use a CFL bulb from 16w-25w and that should easily give you a ton of light.

I have a cool white Evolux bulb. Its definitely brighter than an 60w incan.
http://www.earthled.com/evolux-led-light-bulb.html

Another option is an LVD bulb. A 15w or 23w LVD bulb will easily through more lumen than a 60w incan. But, the LVD bulbs tend to be a little bigger than normal.
http://www.lvdbulbs.com/lvdbulbs.htm
http://www.gladiatorlighting.com/products/15W-SELF-BALLASTED-INDUCTION-BULB-120V-65K.html
http://www.lightbulbsurplus.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_377

Its also best to pick a fixture/fan that is big enough to do the job. You'll be chasing your tail trying to improve the one you have.
Last edited by deadrx7conv; 01-20-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person doing it.

-----

02-06-2011 05:02 PM #5 gof
Unenlightened
Re: Looking for a brighter 60W candelabra base bulb?
Don't forget, you can also select a halogen filled incan bulb that will give you a significantly higher lumen rating at the same wattage. Get a clear bulb without any frosting, or adjusted CRI (like a Reveal or "daylight" bulb). The cost for a halogen filled bulb will be higher (perhaps 2x). Avoid "rough service" or fan bulbs as often they are lower lumens (from what I've perused in stores). I think some are just "commercial" 130V bulb which end up at lower wattage when run at 120V (and much lower lumen level).

-----

02-06-2011 05:16 PM #6 srfreddy

Uhm.... Halgoens also put out way too much heat.

-----

02-07-2011 01:49 PM #7 Fritz HID

if your looking for lumens and heat is an issue, you can always look for a self ballasted, up to 60w HID bulb, (i.e. merc vapor or metal halide, the latter would be best for color). these lamps take a few mins to reach full light output, and do have a filament so light is instantaneous and will still provide light on hot re-strikes.
quod is said " permissum illic exsisto lux lucis " quod illic eram , quod is eram bonus!

-----

02-07-2011 02:49 PM #8 emilyw

Here's a xenon candelabra bulb at Pegasus Lighting - 60 watts for 960 lumens. I don't know if you're going to find an LED with that much light output - they are extremely energy efficient, but the technology's still evolving. Good luck. If all else fails, you can always try adding recessed cans to your room or even floor lamps for the easiest solution.

-----

02-07-2011 08:37 PM #9 gof

srfreddy said:
Uhm.... Halgoens also put out way too much heat.
I don't think a halogen 60W bulb is going to throw any more heat out than a regular incan. In fact, since they are more efficient in putting out lumens, the amount of thermal dissipation to the fixture should be less since more of the energy is going out as visable light. I didn't see anywhere the OP was concerned about heat, only in getting the max lumens possible from the fixture.

-----

02-07-2011 10:24 PM #10 Fritz HID

halogen bulbs have a 13-22% heat/watt increase over standard incd.
quod is said " permissum illic exsisto lux lucis " quod illic eram , quod is eram bonus!

-----

02-08-2011 04:14 PM #11 VegasF6

My first suggestion would be to change it out to a fan with a light kit you like. Ideally a 4 bulb unit. Have you tried CFL yet? Home depot for instance has a ecosmart 14 watt candelabra base cfl. It claims 900 lumens.

-----

02-17-2011 09:09 PM #12 oldwesty4ever

No halogen incandescents are not that much hotter than incandescents. I have used many halogen energy savers, a 72w halogen being as bright as a 100w incandescent is as hot as a 75w incandescent.

naz

Newly Enlightened
I have a fan light with 4 candelabra base CFL 60 watt equivalent bulbs behind a yellow stained-glass housing and it is still not putting out enough light. It originally was wired for two incandescent candelabra bulbs which was feeble indeed. The CFLs were ok at first but I think they are getting old -- CFLs don't last long on a dimmer switch. Don't use mini-halogens -- in the confined light space they will heat up and explode!
au.gif
I was thinking of converting my fan-light to LEDs and here are my thoughts on the subject. I would forget about trying to find LEDs already made into candelabra base bulbs -- the only ones I found put out a puny amount of light. You can buy bright LED strips with stick-on backs (try http://www.superbrightleds.com). These are 12 volt powered so you also need to buy a 12 volt AC converter. Then what I was thinking of doing was to remove the candelabra sockets, stick the LED strips on the inside of the housing so that they shine downwards, and wire the 12 volt converter between the LED strips and the fan/light switch. You will need to be able to use a soldering iron to do this right and the strips might end up costing $50 or more but the light will not have to warm up and should last a long time. If the LEDs are behind frosted glass or something you will not see the strips but just the light.