Surge (poly) vs. LX (alum)...Heat?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the Brinkmann LX (quite bright) with its 5W lamp. I've noticed it gets noticeably warm when it's on. I figure that heat build up (and how to spread it out or get rid of it) must be an important factor in flashlight design.

So...I see that the PT Surge has a 7.5W lamp but has a Poly body.

Can anyone shed some light
smile.gif
on the topic of how important this is and if it is important...how the Poly based lights deal with this? The brightest Poly based light I have is the UK 4AA AS2. I think it has a 2.1W bulb.

It seems that LEDs are especially vulnerable to heat (unlike incandescents that actually NEED heat to function). I've seen posts where the SL 4AA 7 LED light gets fried when run on Lithiums...apparently due to un-disapated heat.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would seem that the surge is actually around 5 plus watts. Look at brock's web page to find out.

Surge is meant as a diving light, they prolly think that the water will cool it. Me? I have personally used it for 4 hours straight. No sweat. The bezel got HOT but it's not melting...

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Surge bulb is 4.8V @ 1.6A, making it 7.68 watts.
As Nerd mentioned, it is designed as a diving light, probably with the water factored into the cooling of it.

The plastic reflector in those things IMO is a design flaw, as during continuous use it gets hot enough to melt the reflective coating at the centre near the bulb.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine got a lil' wrinkled, but no big deal to me. About an area of 2-4mm surrounding the reflector.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
I've had this happen with every TEC40 I've had too. That wrinkling turns into the coating peeling away. It's my one beef with the Princeton's.

StreamChucker

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. So, the solid aluminum reflector (and body too) may really be pretty necessary for a high wattage light.

Latest posts