Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

Default Re: Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

I'm about to buy a Minimus, but I'm not sure if I should get a normal Minimus or a Vision. Is there an easy answer?

I'd say Minimus if you don't care about tint or if brightness is more important. Get the Vision if tint is more important to you.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cland72 View Post
    I'd say Minimus if you don't care about tint or if brightness is more important. Get the Vision if tint is more important to you.
    I have a few additional question, I'm no flashaholic so I have to make a few things clear to myself before I make my choice. The Vision is by no means a HCRI version of the normal Minimus right? It just has a warmer tint.

And I have a HDS Systems EDC (current gen) and a SureFire 6P with a Malkoff M61L HCRI drop-in, to which one does the Minimus Vision compere in warmth?

Quote Originally Posted by nullface View Post
    I have a few additional question, I'm no flashaholic so I have to make a few things clear to myself before I make my choice. The Vision is by no means a HCRI version of the normal Minimus right? It just has a warmer tint.

And I have a HDS Systems EDC (current gen) and a SureFire 6P with a Malkoff M61L HCRI drop-in, to which one does the Minimus Vision compere in warmth?
    The Minimus Vision has a warm tint but it is cooler in tint compared to both Malkoff and HDS. Not exactly sure what color temperature it is but I would likely say it borders around the ballpark of 3500K to 3800K.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    The Minimus Vision has a warm tint but it is cooler in tint compared to both Malkoff and HDS. Not exactly sure what color temperature it is but I would likely say it borders around the ballpark of 3500K to 3800K.
    Wow is the Vision even cooler than the HDS (none HCRI)?

Wow is the Vision even cooler than the HDS (none HCRI)?
    I was referring to the HCRI version of the current generation of HDS lights, and since you did not mention, I assumed you are referring to the HCRI version. The older HCRI HDS lights using the SSC P4 has a slightly cooler tint which is quite similar to the Minimus Vision.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Enlightened

I find headlamps really useful around the house:
    1) Midnight snacking - great for avoiding waking up the house and still gives you two free hands - one for the plate, one for the glass.
    2) Power outages. In the last two years, we've been without power for a total of 4 weeks. Headlamps that were both efficient (for long life) and bright were a huge help.
    3) Home repairs - much easier to have a headlamp aimed where you need it than to have a wife or child aim a light (as they complain "are you done yet").

Quote Originally Posted by Bucur View Post
    WOW! EDC'ing any headlamp, let alone a big one like the Maximus, is way beyond me. My hat off to the flashaholic (if not headlampaholic) in you. I EDC my Klarus Mi X6 SS and I am considering EDC'ing a 1 X CR123 flashlight like the Niteye 10 TIC but the Maximus is way too inconvenient for me to EDC.

As I admitted earlier, I don't "need" more than 80 lumens on my headlamp. I just "want" this; w/o doing SAR or caving. I now realize that keeping this 500 lumen headlamp in my car would be harmful for its fixed Li-Ion battery and I am desperately trying to find another use for it. I wish having it on my person, at all times, was an alternative for me, though.
    Anyone have a number for Flashaholics Anonymous? I hear they have a really good 12 lumen program...

I'm about to buy a Minimus, but I'm not sure if I should get a normal Minimus or a Vision. Is there an easy answer?
    They're close enough in brightness that I would choose based on the tint alone. Finding a store that has both to compare side by side would be your best option.

Was in the same boat and end up with the Vision, I never dial pass 50%.
    For use in house or night hike, 30-40 lumens is more then enough.

I see the atoms free and fine, That bubble like a sparkling wine;I see the songs Electrons sing, Jumping from ring to outer ring;
    -Lister, The Physicist

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT View Post
    Cons:
    -Needs a strap going across the top. It's heavy enough that I have to have the headband uncomfortably tight to keep it from creeping down my face. Forget jogging or anything rough.
    -Lots of artifacts in the beam, although that doesn't bother me in actual use
    -Ditto for a blue hotspot and greenish spill

-Not as bright as the rating would lead me to believe.
    Just as an FYI, I have had great results using this on flashlight lenses and today I mustered the nerve to apply it to my Minimus Vision. Mask of the surrounding area and give the lens a light coat or two of this.......http://www.houzz.com/photos/2620253/...-housekeeping-

While it will make it more floody, it also makes the beam pattern great IMO totally eliminating the two issues in bold.

Unenlightened

Never been impressed with sure fire head lamps. Not enough output for the price. Love their weapon lights and LEDs, own 7 total. 2 x300s, 2 ed2 defenders, lx2 lumamax, g2, px2 fury. Would be curious to see the sure fire Maximus in a comparison to the fenix hp15

Odd thing about my Minimus, never noticed the light 'halo' effect many complain about until I actually looked for it. To me it didn't seem that bad however recently I've noticed it's really pronounced. Is it possible to get worse with time?

Quote Originally Posted by RNDDUDE View Post
    The latest revision of the Minimus has addressed the body tension issue by replacing the two static tension pins with larger pins that have a small set screw in each pin to allow user adjustment of the tension to compensate for wear/manufacturing tolerances
    Can anyone tell me what size hex these tiny little set screws are, I have tried both a 1/20th (SAE) and 1.5mm (metric) wrench to no avail... I need to tighten this as the housing turns badly when turning my light on or off.
    ---
    "Our aim is to eradicate, eliminate, and get rid of all forms of redundancy..."

My minimus vision didn't have enough friction to keep the unit from turning when turning the light off or on. I called surefire and the two adjustment Allen screws behind the velcro pad are 0.035 inch in case anyone needs to adjust tension.

Posted using Tapatalk on my HTC Evo
    Chris

NICE!! And in case you have trouble finding said teenie weenie hex drivers: http://amzn.com/B003N9B6BC
    ---
    "Our aim is to eradicate, eliminate, and get rid of all forms of redundancy..."

Thanks, just order 2 pairs to go along with Xtra SP1 charger.

Surefire sells a rechargeable battery kit that would work perfectly for you.
    I see the atoms free and fine, That bubble like a sparkling wine;I see the songs Electrons sing, Jumping from ring to outer ring;
    -Lister, The Physicist

Quote Originally Posted by P_A_S_1 View Post
    Odd thing about my Minimus, never noticed the light 'halo' effect many complain about until I actually looked for it. To me it didn't seem that bad however recently I've noticed it's really pronounced. Is it possible to get worse with time?
    I don't have any data to prove it, but I think it *does* get worse with time... When I got mine out last fall for "headlamp season," it certainly seemed the "halo" rings were far worse... And they land right across my nose/face when I have the headlamp positioned at a comfortable angle for walking...

It's such a shame really - in terms of reliability, construction, and UI, this is my favorite headlamp... enough so that without the rings I would be completely satisfied with it and would probably have no need for another headlamp... However, the artifacts dancing in my eyes and across my peripheral vision ruin it. So sadly, I'm still looking for the perfect headlamp...

Quote Originally Posted by mntnrnnr View Post
    I don't have any data to prove it, but I think it *does* get worse with time... When I got mine out last fall for "headlamp season," it certainly seemed the "halo" rings were far worse... And they land right across my nose/face when I have the headlamp positioned at a comfortable angle for walking...

It's such a shame really - in terms of reliability, construction, and UI, this is my favorite headlamp... enough so that without the rings I would be completely satisfied with it and would probably have no need for another headlamp... However, the artifacts dancing in my eyes and across my peripheral vision ruin it. So sadly, I'm still looking for the perfect headlamp...
    I kind of think so too. When I first got it I looked for these artifacts and barely noticed them, now they're obvious. Odd (and disappointing).

Each of us is different but the fact is if we look for imperfections in something we will usually find them. There is no denying that the artifacts you describe seem to be prevalent in the majority of Surefire's headlamps. However, just like you can't train yourself to ignore them an equal number of people can condition themselves to ignore what you find an irritation. The saddest part is that 'if' the artifacts weren't there the Surefire range of headlamps would be some of the best available on the market. As it stands they have been left to stagnate and the issues of beam artifacts ignored so that the headlamps have become something of a niche market for Surefire which is a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by dougie View Post
    Each of us is different but the fact is if we look for imperfections in something we will usually find them. There is no denying that the artifacts you describe seem to be prevalent in the majority of Surefire's headlamps. However, just like you can't train yourself to ignore them an equal number of people can condition themselves to ignore what you find an irritation. The saddest part is that 'if' the artifacts weren't there the Surefire range of headlamps would be some of the best available on the market. As it stands they have been left to stagnate and the issues of beam artifacts ignored so that the headlamps have become something of a niche market for Surefire which is a real shame.
    I agree with the latter part very much so, just a few tweaks to the Minimus line would make a big difference. Correct the artifacts, allow the battery compartment to 'lock out', and Li-ion compatibility (4.2v rcr123) are pretty simple fixes and would make the light much better.

Quote Originally Posted by dougie View Post
    Good points. I agree. It's disappointing that they obviously put a huge amount of effort and attention into the build quality, engineering, user interface and functionality and they got SO close to a STELLAR product, but still these issues exist (and continue to exist) on a high-end product put out by a company that prides itself on its premium, high-quality products.

I saw that Outdoor Gear Lab did a comparison and ratings on a bunch of headlamps including the Minimus. They rated the Minimus pretty low. Here is the link;

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MarkIAlbert View Post
    I find headlamps really useful around the house:
    1) Midnight snacking - great for avoiding waking up the house and still gives you two free hands - one for the plate, one for the glass.
    Sounds like the best use ever! Might have to borrow that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by P_A_S_1 View Post
    I saw that Outdoor Gear Lab did a comparison and ratings on a bunch of headlamps including the Minimus. They rated the Minimus pretty low. Here is the link;

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews
    Having read the article I note that the two main complaints were battery life and low output when compared to the opposition. Given that the Minimus has been out for quite some time (without revisions) and was pitched at some far more modern products in the comparison it's not surprising that it scored badly for the above two points. However, as a critic pointed out the durability of the Surefire product when compared to the competition wasn't mentioned or tested. If a headlamp can't take an acceptable amount of environmental and physical abuse then to my mind it's worthless. Surefire products are designed to work in environments and to survive abuse that other lights can't. Regrettably, output and performance aren't necessarily worth a dime if you end up with a dead weight on your head instead of a functioning light. As I stated in an earlier post Surefire headlamps are a neglected product line that could, AND should, be so much better than they are. 'If', only Surefire deemed the demand for their products to be worth investing more time and energy on they could blow most of the opposition out of the water. As it stands I believe that Surefire is unlikely to keep making something which is now probably selling in even more limited numbers than when they were first introduced!

This weekend I used my Minimus Vision while working in my attic. Love the flood of this light - excellent for seeing everything in your field of view at the same time. Kep me from hitting my head on a couple of rafters while up there since it lights up my peripheral.
    Chris

I carry the minus vision in my edc bag and use it all the time for work. ( TV/film productions)

Since I got used to using just as much light as necessary. It has lasted me quite a while.

A boost mode for high and longer run times would be welcoming and I would buy it.

But I found the vision 10 times better then the cool minimus versions.

I m very satisfied with my minimum vision too and looking forward for the maximus vision.

Yes. The Minimus Vision still and is my favorite headlamp after all these years.