HDS Systems
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

Default Re: Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

Might not be the place to ask but.........looks like no changes to the Maximus and Maximus vision? Anyone have the Maximus vision? Thanks.

Flashaholic

It seems like all the 100 Lumen Minimus and 75 lumen Minimus Vision headlamps have been flushed from the retail system. Anyone have an idea when we'll be able to buy the new reflector models, 300 lumen Minimus and ??? Lumen Minimus Vision? I hope these aren't a victim of "Surefire" months (or years) or worse yet vaporware. Even though I hardly ever use my Vision on high, I want the new higher output version.

Step one of twelve, "Yes, I am a Flashaholic."
    Looking for something, use a handheld. Actually doing something, you need a headlamp.

Default Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

Well. I got one of the last minimus vision headlamps in Canada. Nice deal. I echo what everyone has said. Beam artifacts, extra light on the edge that can be distracting with glasses. I added a bit of super lube to smooth the knob action but I could always adjust the output one - handed. I really just wanted a rotary control headlamp. The new version seems nice but is not quite what I wanted.

I did find an effective if somewhat ghetto fix for the beam. A large patch of DC fix covers the optic and smooths out the beam a lot. It's not super pretty and gets in the way of the red filter (that I won't use) but it works.

Edit: the red filter works fine.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1455308294.209076.jpg
    Last edited by gunga; 02-12-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Well. I got one of the last minimus vision headlamps in Canada. Nice deal. I echo what everyone has said. Beam artifacts, extra light on the edge that can be distracting with glasses. I added a bit of super lube to smooth the knob action but I could always adjust the output one - handed. I really just wanted a rotary control headlamp. The new version seems nice but is not quite what I wanted.

I did find an effective if somewhat ghetto fix for the beam. A large patch of DC fix covers the optic and smooths out the beam a lot. It's not super pretty and gets in the way of the red filter (that I won't use) but it works.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1455308294.209076.jpg
    That's amazingly simple! Does it also eliminate the light artifacts/reflection that can hit you on your nose?

edited to add: I've never used my red filter, either. I find that with how dim the white light will go, you really don't need a filter for reducing output.

I don't think it's totally eliminated but it's much milder and not really distracting.

Awesome, I'll have to try it this weekend.

Also note, the red filter still works fine.

Note. A user earlier in this thread used a glass frosting spray for the same effect. I think it would work well but don't feel like buying that just for this headlamp. I'd probably want to practice on something else first.

Well. The DC fix is ghetto, and will not be durable in field use (where it won't be needed as much anyways), but it functions well. Smooth beam, no distracting prism effect. Probably cuts output, not great for Max output but great for sub lumen lows. The best solution doesn't exist. If the red filter was available as clear, DC fix could be used on that. That would be the best "solution". I may try the glass frosting spray but it's permanent and toxic. We'll see.

Flashaholic*

Dont worry gunga, when you get your new ZL the Surefire will likely get permanently shelved or sold. At least if you like it as much as I like mine. I have used and tried quite a few headlamps and nothing even comes close to this one imo. Its perfect for my uses anyway.
    Last edited by Tachead; 02-13-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Yes. I know. I just really wanted a rotary control headlamp. No one else sells those.

Flashaholic*

Yes. I know. I just really wanted a rotary control headlamp. No one else sells those.
    Yeah there is a shortage of rotary control headlamps for sure. At least the ZL has a lot of different brightness levels though and with the programmability you can set it up anyway you want. It may be the next best thing to a rotary or infinitely variable sliding switch like on the Nitecore HC90. And, the button has a very nice feel too.

What is the lens made of? Any one try scuffing it up with steel wool or fine sandpaper? I think that could work.

Edit : tried it. The surface is quite hard. Results were meh. I only scuffed the top area. I need to do the entire dome. Not feasible. So now polishing out the scuffs and using DC fix.
    Last edited by gunga; 02-13-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Well. The DC fix works well but I'm sure it cuts output and the surface is a bit soft and floppy. Just a bit too ghetto for me and my most expensive headlamp. I bit the bullet and used some frosted glass spray. It wasn't perfect:

- I ended up with a few q-tip lint bits.
    - it was tough to get into the deep crevices around the lens (I probably put more than needed and rushed it a tad).
    - I'm sure I did nothing good to my lungs (the stuff, like most spray paint, is toxic).

In any case, I'm happy with the results. It was about $11 here ($8 usd) and gives me the results in want. It cuts output a bit I'm sure, so Max output is reduced, but then again I wanted this for min output, a silent switch and ramping output. The beam is nice and smooth (though still square). There is still some light coming down on the nose potentially but so far it's not bothering me (I'll need to do more testing to see).

So here's a pic.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1455604490.928825.jpg

Highly recommend if you want a smooth beam and lower low. Don't bother if you're happy with the current beam profile or want max output of course.

This is old tech (cree XRE?) so the new version is intriguing.

The new minimus is 300 lumens, has 12 programmable levels on the dial, uses a push button switch and has the same reflector as the titan I believe. I don't know what levels are available or if a neutral or high cri version is planned. The new version doesn't fit my needs but could be far superior for many users.
    Last edited by gunga; 02-15-2016 at 11:41 PM.

[...]The new minimus is 300 lumens, has 12 programmable levels on the dial, uses a push button switch and has the same reflector as the titan I believe. I don't know what levels are available or if a neutral or high cri version is planned. The new version doesn't fit my needs but could be far superior for many users.
    Ye gods I didn't know it was that different. If they've moved away from the older rotary UI I confess to having no interest in the new model.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Ye gods I didn't know it was that different. If they've moved away from the older rotary UI I confess to having no interest in the new model.
    Ditto.

Yep. There is a button on the side. The rotary provides 12 levels. I think they are programmable but am unsure. I really like the old interface, so that's why I got it. I put a glow sticker on the dial and have a large trit coming for the battery cap. Pimping my headlamp...

Small update. So usage has been great so far. The frost spray works well. Also, the lowest level is about the same as a zebralight h600fc on second lowest setting. Advertised as 0.05 lumens. Outstanding.

I was just looking at B & H...they have the 100 lumen Minimus in stock? Thought they were history?

I have a question regarding which model of the Minimus was first?

The smoother aka "G2 ish tail cap look" knobs with no tether on the battery door, or the more aggressive knurling that had the tether on the smaller battery lid.

The knurled one with the tether is the later generation.

OK cool thanks,

I have my first Minimus coming and it has the G2/G3 looking battery "tube" style to it.

It's new but I am curious what my verdict is going to be...

May end up being a catch and release...

It's hidden in this thread, but there have been numerous improvements. This is the only rotary control headlamp that exists and it works for what I want. A keeper!

Here's post #52. Keep reading back. I think they changed the design late 2011?

---
    The latest revision of the Minimus has addressed the body tension issue by replacing the two static tension pins with larger pins that have a small set screw in each pin to allow user adjustment of the tension to compensate for wear/manufacturing tolerances, the artifact issue has been eliminated by modifying the refector housing, excessive light knob tension has been adressed with internal seal changes, and the knob lengthened to improve grip. Additionally, a battery cap lanyard has been added to prevent knob dropping/loss.

Seems I might be looking at an earlier generation,

This is a picture,

Yep. That's pre 2011

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1459786553.156558.jpg

Here's my minimus vision with frosty spray to fix beam artifacts.

The more I use my Minimus Vision, the more I get the feeling the battery is draining a lot faster than it should. Do any of you feel like the battery is going dead long before you think it should?

Example: I replaced the battery and used the light for about 20 minutes. Next time I pulled it out of my bag, I turned it up to full brightness and it gave me the low battery warning flash. This all occurred within the last 3 months. I use USA made CR123 cells.

Thought I read somewhere doing some research on the internet that some of the models of the headlamp were prone to rather thought I read somewhere doing some research on the internet that some of the models of the headlamp for prone to rather high parasitic drain, one user always loosens his battery compartment before putting it in his glove box.

Might be what's going on,

I'd love to score a vision model....

Looks great!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast