Fenix Outfitters
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

Default Re: Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

I get low voltage flash on max too quickly. But I use it on minimum most of the time.

Default Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

Well I will begin testing tomorrow night,

This is going to be my first Surefire headlamp,

I do like the rechargeable version they have out now but I need a headlamp with long term storage battery life, aka CR123 that can live in the truck for weeks at a time.
    Last edited by Greenbean; 04-06-2016 at 01:38 AM.

The tint is not warm but seems to be a real neutral white and gets warmer in the peripherals.
    Last edited by Greenbean; 05-05-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    Here it is,

I am really wanting to know if it's at least the updated version w/out the light stripe across the nose and such.
    The tint is not warm but seems to be a real neutral white and gets warmer in the peripherals.
    The photo with the price is just to see the model number and such.
    Closest thing to a white wall to illustrate the beam profile is the fridge.

This appears to be the first gen version, not the most recent version.

Default Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

Thanks, I figured it was first Gen but how do I confirm it has the better beam profile?

I have been searching and searching the Internet for comparison photos and can't seem to confirm anything.
    Last edited by Greenbean; 05-05-2016 at 05:21 AM.

I think they all have artifacts. It's an XRE LED behind a clear optic. That line at the bottom is the prism effect people describe. It's a bright line on your nose. My late generation one has it a bit too. The glass frosting spray fixed my beam issues and gives me a nice smooth flood.

Hmmm,

10-4,

Guess the test later tonight will see what comes of it.

I did a rather poor job (old norland?) but the coin slot on the new minimus is a good fit for a 2x12mm trit.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1460273363.422668.jpg

Neat idea!

I have the newer version and it has the 'prism' effect. At first I didn't notice it but now it's quite pronounced and seemed to get worse with use. Of all the minor issues with the minimus it is the most annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by cland72 View Post
    The more I use my Minimus Vision, the more I get the feeling the battery is draining a lot faster than it should. Do any of you feel like the battery is going dead long before you think it should?

Example: I replaced the battery and used the light for about 20 minutes. Next time I pulled it out of my bag, I turned it up to full brightness and it gave me the low battery warning flash. This all occurred within the last 3 months. I use USA made CR123 cells.
    Thought I read somewhere doing some research on the internet that some of the models of the headlamp were prone to rather thought I read somewhere doing some research on the internet that some of the models of the headlamp for prone to rather high parasitic drain, one user always loosens his battery compartment before putting it in his glove box.
    Recently I have been using fresh SureFire CR123's with this light, and I'm starting to suspect that mine behaves like this as well.

Thought I read somewhere doing some research on the internet that some of the models of the headlamp were prone to rather thought I read somewhere doing some research on the internet that some of the models of the headlamp for prone to rather high parasitic drain, one user always loosens his battery compartment before putting it in his glove box.

Might be what's going on,

IDK about the first generation but on the newer models with the knurling this won't work. The moment the battery cap makes contact with the body there is a connection so short of removing the battery you'll get a little drain. There is no lock out feature.
    Last edited by P_A_S_1; 04-15-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Yes PAS1 that was my thinking as well.

Flashaholic

I just checked the Minimus headlamps I put in my cars and truck about a year and a half ago, all flat. I put a new cell in with electrical tape on the positive end. Not the most convenient approach, but the cell won't be flat. There is a 6P in the glove box too so if I need light fast, that's not an issue.
    Looking for something, use a handheld. Actually doing something, you need a headlamp.

Yup, have checked the fresh cell that went in a few months back, and get the low-voltage indication on it as well.
    So now that this behavior has been verified on my relatively-recent-production Minimus Vision, I admit that I'm a little disappointed.
    Guess I'll have to use some sort of non-conductive insert in mine as well as Mrs. Kestrels'.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011