Improve any push buttton on Automatic Knives, Tip on a great shappener too.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently a patent suit won by Benchmade has eliminated safeties from many brands of Auto knives. To keep their products safe and sale-able some manufactures have taken the release button and sunk it in a counter bored socket. The top of the button is at or below the surface of the handle.

Well, my big thumbs bottom out on the frame before releasing the blade and I must use an instrument or edge of a finger nail to release the blade. Not a handy or fast release into action at all.

A simple solution is to add a drop or two of clear epoxy, preferable a fast setting variety and hang the button so it faces down on top of the actuator button. You might want to roughen the surface of the button for better adherence. The drop will bulge on the top of the button and resemble a western shirt button, and depending on your preference protrude above the edge of the counter bore. I need only press it with a big thumb to actuate it. It is very durable and the trick can be used on cameras, personal electronics, etc.

But to make it safe? I have a lanyard on the knife which is on the non-hinge end of the knives, above the lanyard I have put a large O-ring around the knife. That retains the blade and I need only roll the ring with my thumb off the tip and the knives now has a safety and easy actuation.

:eek:oo: Me? Post on a knife page, boy what a first. I have been so inactive on CPF, didn't die yet and I have a this cute trick to share that ain't in any light forum nor have I seen it surfing the knife forums!

My EDC is a Boker Kalashnikov 74. It uses AUS8 which is supposed to be like 440C, but better holding an edge because it has vanadium in the alloy.:huh2:

(http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml)

The knive blade is like many of the $100+ knives but the knife handle is compact and pocket carriage is adequate. It is much less in cost too, around $50.

Hey, have you seen the Wicked Edge knife sharpener? Google it, a lot of good vids on Youtube.com about the sharpener. Best sharpener I have had in 40 years, worth the big bucks. My knives now are sharper than a razor, more like surgical tools.

NL