Playing with QTCs / Fun with QTC / Merged

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quantum Tunneling Composites, which will only be referred to as QTCs from now on, are small rubber-like pads that conduct electricity, varying its resistance based on how much it is compressed. When static, they provide infinite resistance. As pressure is applied it conducts with lesser and lesser resistance until they reach very little or no resistance. I have not tried measuring this. They can handle up to about 10A of current, though no voltage rating was given for that figure. They come in 3mm X 3mm X 1mm squares that look like small patches of rubber bicycle inner tubing that has been cut into tiny squares.

The Kuku 38DD light uses a QTC to offer infinitely variable brightness levels. I believe there are other lights that use QTCs in them as well.

I really prefer multi-mode lights over single-mode lights because I believe that multi-mode lights are more practical because you can vary the brightness based on the need.

I purchased 100 pieces of QTCs to experiment with and they arrived earlier this past week (please don't PM me asking to sell you any as I fully expect to use all of them and may even need to order more down the road). At first I tried taking the tailcaps off of a few flashlights, putting a QTC on the negative end of the battery, then placing a screwdriver across the bare aluminum of the flashlight contact, pressing down on the QTC to see if I can vary the light's output. For the most part, I was able to vary the output from quite a few of my lights so I know that most of them will work with a QTC mod.

The one light that I have that currently has a QTC in it is a SS Quark Preon ReVO. I removed the rear spring and replaced it with a small piece of aluminum that I turned on my lathe. I reinstalled the rubber retaining ring/spring and dropped a QTC into the body tube, making sure that it sat in the middle, on top of the aluminum piece. I then dropped a battery in the body tube and screwed down the head. What I have now is a light that will come on gently (as opposed to just instantaneously turning on) that I can turn down to moonlight mode or less as needed. I can still turn the light on/off/on to switch modes and I get them, but, I can then slowly loosen the head and the light will dim down. Really cool. It's not perfect as the rubber ring on the negative end of the body and the rubber ring on the head have some torque from the twisting action and this usually means that the light will settle into a brighter or dimmer output after a few seconds, depending on which direction the head was twisted to get to the desired output. Still, it's really nice to be able to use this light in a moonlight mode that makes my Quark 123 Tactical on moonlight mode seem bright. I can get full brightness for whichever mode I'm in by simply tightening the head. The thing is that the circuit board on the light is fighting me when trying to set a low mode and it won't fire the circuit until it's got enough lack of resistance to get about 80% of the power needed to get the normal low mode so it will always start off brighter than I need it to be and needs to be turned down from there. It's been mentioned that the greater stiffness of the QTC setup may eventually lead to a damaged circuit board on the head of my ReVO, and this is duly noted, but, so far so good.

I have a Streamlight BatonLite that I've modified with a Sandwich Shop Mad Max Lite driver and SSC P4 U-bin LED powered by 2 AAA batteries. I removed the tailcap contact assembly and pulled the spring away from the metal washer that makes contact with the end of the body tube to turn on the light. I placed a QTC in between the spring and the washer and reassembled the light. This setup is much easier to set a super low output mode than the ReVO. I can slowly twist the tailcap until the light turns on so dimly that I can barely see any hotspot at all at 3 feet in a completely dark room. From there I can ramp it up to full brightness. I do, occasionally, get a weird quirk where the light will dim before getting brighter, however. I'm not sure why this is. I do worry about rubbing through the QTC because the twisting action is causing the QTC to rub against the end of the body tube.

Other lights that I have tried the QTC on and have acknowledged that it works with them:

Anything direct-drive

Rebel MagLED 2D and 3D

Nite Ize 1-Watt and large dome PR flange drop-ins

Nite Ize 3-LED Mini-Mag drop-in

Sandwich Shop Mad Max Plus and Lite drivers

DatiLED's toroid Joule Thief

ThruNite 3-9V XM-L P60 drop-in

Dereelight SST-50 P60 drop-in pill

SureFire L1 (current version)

SureFire KL4 (120 lumen version)

Quark 123 Tactical

Quark MiNi 123

Quark Preon ReVO

In all cases, I tested by placing the QTC at the tail cap and shorting to the QTC and then applying pressure to the QTC and then observing whether or not I can vary the brightness or not and if it is a smooth transition.

Lights that don't seem to like having the resistance changed at the tailcap:

Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 head

Sandwich Shop Shark Buck 2A

SureFire G2X Pro (ramps up but only comes on in low mode, will not switch to high no matter what)

In the case of the Solarforce MPP-1 and the SS Shark Buck 2A, they are either on or off and didn't really dim when applying pressure to the QTC.

I'll post pictures of this stuff later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun with QTC

I just got some QTC and have had some fun, this composite is amazing.
I modded an EZ123 by using a smaller foam donut to hold the QTC in.

And here is a video comparing the EZ123-QTC to my V10R-Ti.
The EZ12-QTC is on the left, it goes lower than the V10R-Ti but as can be seen it is not as smooth throughout ramping up or down. Excuse the shaking it was cold out.:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8a8KXJxkkw

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fun with QTC

Nice Video...had to watch the fish-slapping also :thumbsup:

I've been using QTCs in a few Peaks for a little over a week now and it totally changes the usefulness of the lights.
I don't have a meter, but I suspect they do suppress the max output a bit.

Last edited:

MikeE

Newly Enlightened

HI, I also have been experimenting with peaks and am excited! I just woke up with a vision of a QTC mounted on a Malkoff MD2 retaining ring. IT WORKS! An infinitely variable Malkoff. But I need to design something to prevent friction damage as I tighten the head to adjust levels. Anybody get them to work in anything else yet? They do have some resistance ,so they must be dimmer,but I don't think I can tell for sure just by looking. The trade off is a few lumens for total control and so far I'm thinking it's well worth it. This is coming from someone who likes bright lights. I'm sure the moonmode guys are going to feel the same way.

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Playing with QTCs

I'll post pictures of this stuff later.

Well, did you? I'm fascinated by this new technology and am very curious to see pics and even videos of your mods in action. If you find the time, please do show us, because I'm seriously considering using this material for a forward clicky switch with infinite brightness. The data sheet lists the compression life cycle (depending on the source) as either 1,000,000 or >1,000,000... I imagine no normal clicky would withstand a million presses... Anyway... old thread... I know... pics now please!!! :D

Shao

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
Looking forward to more of your findings. I'm really excited about the possibilities available with QTC...

Zendude

Enlightened

Hey BH, sorry I'm late to your funtime. ;p

Couple questions: Did you remove the spring? How did you secure the qtc? Conductive adhesive? Or is the doughnut is holding it in place?

@dealgrabber: I had planned on putting some in an E01 but the problem is it only turns on when the head is tightened down all the way. You wouldn't be able to increase or decrease pressure on the pill.:shrug:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

So did you just put the QTC in between the contacts of the head and battery? And the concept is that the more you twist, the more the QTC is compressed, and thus more current is let through? Maybe if it was sandwiched between two metal plates that would allow for a smoother adjustment?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

Hi Beamhead ,

I'm expecting my QTC material tomorrow (monday)...

I have HI expectations of this working WELL in my twistie Fenix LD15 AA ,
which is a 2 level light ... but it starts on Hi .... so it should work.

I explained all the details in Smarkum's QTC thread on MP .

If you have a Fenix LD15 ....... you should give it a go .

Other than Peaks , do you know of any other good "battery crusher" candidates ?
Does the EZAA and EZ123 have a battery spring ? I don't own them .

Thanks / TMG

~

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

The EZ series have a small spring on the PCB for 2 level operation which IMHO make the QTC work better, there is no spring in the body.
I have also used it in Fenix P1CE's not the D , the first I put in the foam ring in the body and it works fine but the pill falls out on battery change so I got a Caig Circuit writer pen at ratshack and "glued" it in place and so far it holds, I tried the same trick on the positive contact but the twisting force pulls the pill loose, an Arc foam ring on the positive contact works great.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~

It worked OK in the Fenix LD15 ............

But I'm kinda worried about "parasitic drain" .

I'll be testing for that for a few days.

~

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like a nice replacement for the Fire~Fly 2-stage switch (same functionality as the switch in the Malkoff 2-stage ring).

Edit: Might work similarly for other twistys that have a spring at the bottom. I'm curious about the direct-drive JIL lights.

Edit [2]: Come to think of it, y'all are focused on the wrong end. Try replacing the spring on just about any tailcap: momentary on (or off) plus variable output.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

This stuff really looks cool! Can't wait 'til mine shows up later this week! :naughty:

I'm excited that it works in the MD2! Have to think of a way to protect it from damage from twisting. :thinking: