Removing 17640 label bad?

Z

z_tjmcmahon

I have a Quark Turbo 123x2 which I am now using an AW 17640 cell in. However when the label was on the battery it was too tight in the light. It couldn't move and it wouldn't reliably switch modes. I went ahead and cut the wrapper/label off of the outside of the battery and now it works perfectly.

So question being, is there a potential downside to doing this? Does the wrapper provide any kind of insulation or protection to the battery?

Thanks for your help guys.

-T

thospress

Newly Enlightened
I have a Quark Turbo 123x2 which I am now using an AW 17640 cell in. However when the label was on the battery it was too tight in the light. It couldn't move and it wouldn't reliably switch modes. I went ahead and cut the wrapper/label off of the outside of the battery and now it works perfectly.

So question being, is there a potential downside to doing this? Does the wrapper provide any kind of insulation or protection to the battery?

I have done exactly the same thing without any problems whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
This is one of the "z_" threads that were salvaged after the forum crash that year, the post#1's were restored but it was not able to do the same with the subsequent replies.

I have removed the silver AW label from some oversized 18650's to fit in a tight bore with no issues.
This of course is different than removing the plastic wrapping to the cell itself, creating an opportunity for short-circuiting and making the cell useless.