"Big" camp/utility folder

entoptics

Enlightened
Any good options out there for a big *** pocket knife for camping? My fellow CPFers tend to see through the BS out there, so I figured Id ask here rather than a blade forum of some kind.

If they made the Ontario Rat 1 in a 4 blade with a pounding pommel, Id have one in a second.

If what I want doesn't exist, I'll probably just buy a RAT 1.

Budget is a VERY FIRM $50. Less is much better, and I'm hoping to spend in the $30 range.

Uses: food prep, kindling baton, scraper, carver, pryer, digger. Anything from slicing tators to digging in soft dirt.

Requirements:

1) ? 5 closed, ~4 blade, thinnish, light weightish. Clipped in a pocket or inside the waste band wont be obnoxious. Not EDC by any means.

2) Reasonably strong lock. Capable of infrequently battoning through 2 wood.

3) Reasonably tough, non-brittle, steel (pry, poke, etc).

4) No serrations or funky blade shapes.

5) Doesn't need to be fast, but 1 handed opening/closing is a must.

Something in a 1095 like steel would be good. Stainless is irrelevant and I sharpen frequently, so infinite edge retention isn't a big deal. On the other hand I don't want something that is so soft it won't cut rope after a couple days in the field. I'd rather have something I can sharpen than something that stays sharp forever but requires an act of congress to put the edge back.

Any ideas? Im upgrading my summer work/play kit at the moment, so price is a top priority (billions of other $30 expenditures add up). I have a little extra income and need to do it soon while the gettings good, but Im also just starting my retirement account which is gonna cost me at least 2 knives and a flashlight per month for the next 30 years.

Balancing priorities. You know how it works...

adnj

Enlightened
Re: "Big" camp/utility folder

I have a ZT0200 that does all of that but the $50 budget is not gonna work. I think the your RAT1 folder is about the best option.

Kueh

Newly Enlightened

Any good options out there for a big *** pocket knife for camping? My fellow CPFers tend to see through the BS out there, so I figured Id ask here rather than a blade forum of some kind.

Budget is a VERY FIRM $50. Less is much better, and I'm hoping to spend in the $30 range.

Uses: food prep, kindling baton, scraper, carver, pryer, digger. Anything from slicing tators to digging in soft dirt.
Balancing priorities. You know how it works...
\

It seems a lot to ask from one knife, imo. But safety wise, I'd recommend a 4" Mora knife. Yes, these are fixed blades, but much safer. They are generally cheap enough that you could get two or maybe three knives for $50.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened

If you want a knife for all that stuff then consider a fixed blade.

I would never batton with my folders, I just think it shocks the frame too much.

Myself I use a Bernie Garland Bushcrafter, or a BG Little Whittler (which I handled myself) as a necker if I don't need the heavier Bushcrafter (I also have a Gransfors SFA :)) and for food stuff and kill prep I have a Fallkniven TK4. This is way over the budget you set of course.

I seriously suggest that you buy a Mora fixed blade and live with that a while. Even maybe one of the stainless ones but I prefer the carbon steel ones myself for general maintenance.

A Mora will be half to 1/3rd the budget you mention and if it's good enough for Mors Kochanski then.. well, nuff said :)

RBR

Enlightened

Last edited: