Buckpuck versus Powerpuck [1000ma] differences?

Illum

Flashaholic
Hello...

The 1000ma powerpuck happened to be the same price as a 1000ma buckpuck [D-N model]. I don't need a dimming device and driving 3 XPGs on a 12V battery

I bought two buckpucks thinking one could be kept as a spare in case the first one overheated of whatever, and it did overheat. Operating the LEDs as a semi-outdoor fixture it burnt out sometime around the third hour. LED is fine, power supply is fine, inline cap is fine, the buckpuck isn't :(

My question is, since space is not at a premium, would the powerpuck aid in heatsinking [as in the mounting bracket being thermally connected to the chip] or would it burn up just the same. By the way, I still haven't figured out why it overheated, aren't these drivers thermally protected?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recovered the following data from Google's cache manually.
Please post any errors and corrections in a new post below.
-
The format is:
Date, time, old postcount#, poster;
post data
-
I will try to fix the CPF links in the next 2 weeks or until I give up in frustration. Can not do that and verify with CPF down.

-----

02-04-2011 07:08 PM #2 purduephotog

Illum Hello... The 1000ma powerpuck happened to be the same price as a 1000ma buckpuck [D-N model said:
. I don't need a dimming device and driving 3 XPGs on a 12V battery

I bought two buckpucks thinking one could be kept as a spare in case the first one overheated of whatever, and it did overheat. Operating the LEDs as a semi-outdoor fixture it burnt out sometime around the third hour. LED is fine, power supply is fine, inline cap is fine, the buckpuck isn't

My question is, since space is not at a premium, would the powerpuck aid in heatsinking [as in the mounting bracket being thermally connected to the chip] or would it burn up just the same. By the way, I still haven't figured out why it overheated, aren't these drivers thermally protected?
Odd.

3x3.5v = 10.5v - which isn't quite 2.0V overhead as recommended by the buckpuck datasheet, but I'm sure Vin is different.

Burning out over 3 hours is a bit fast though. Now I've got some boostpuck that has run for hours just fine- but that's a different beast. I thought the units themselves had a thermal protection circuit to turn them off if they overheated.

-----

02-04-2011 08:46 PM #3 Illum

I installed the 3x XPG star as an overhead leave-on-for-the-night yard light, the wire travel length to the buckpuck was about 10 feet, plus another 4 feet to a 12V switcher supply. XPG's vf is 3.3V at 1000ma I have 350ma buckpucks running around the house and they are doing wonderfully driving 3-up chains at 12V. I wonder if the overheating was caused by an enclosed container
Last edited by Illum; 02-04-2011 at 09:08 PM.