Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I spent $30,000 in my first 6 Months

Default Re: I spent $30,000 in my first 6 Months

Every light can be made modern with a LED upgrade. That's what I generally do and believe in - a light needs to be useful for me.

Shado doesn't mod his lights and I know he isn't interested in purchasing lights that have been modded - even if in still mint condition. That is commendable - and what a true collector does. If he does decide to open up a museum I will be right there in line.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    ... he isn't interested in purchasing lights that have been modded - even if in still mint condition. That is commendable ...
    +1

A while back someone purchased a mint Ti PD-S & wanted me to mill a bunch of trit slots. I replied with a detailed email & suggested this would certainly devalue the light. There's not much that can be done to improve a Picasso.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

And some lights hold their value...look at a lot of the older Surefires. You can go on the MP and still find vintage SFs going for close to the same price they fetched when brand new, if not more.

Something tells me all those Spys will still be worth plenty, even years from now.

I just spent 316,255 Lira this month. Got just 1 light.Does this count?If that 30,000 is US, more power to ya friend.

I'm guessing that Shado is finding that it's becoming increasingly difficult to add new lights to the collection. Other than clean sheet built-from-scratch full out customs there are few (if any) lights missing. This would be a cool "problem" to have ... contact PhotonFanatic & start by saying that the desired light is a one off unlike any he's built before. Distinctive yet tasteful. No price limit so Fred gets to do all the things he's never done.

May not be the grail light but it would be stunning
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

Wow!

Unenlightened

You guys are crazy..I think I am at $3K or so in the past 5 or 6 years and i think my purchases are excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscoobs View Post
    You guys are crazy..I think I am at $3K or so in the past 5 or 6 years and i think my purchases are excessive.
    That all depends on whom you ask ...

Significant others usually vote yes.

Most friends vote yes.

Co workers certainly vote yes.

That means nothing other than those three groups cannot be relied upon for a sound opinion

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    That all depends on whom you ask ...

Significant others usually vote yes.

Most friends vote yes.

Co workers certainly vote yes.

That means nothing other than those three groups cannot be relied upon for a sound opinion
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Lights sit quietly on the mantle and don't complain, or get jealous if you bring home a new one.

Anyone who collects girls is a man who didn't think things through.
    You mean...a happy man with a thinking problem?
    Last edited by Silgt; 08-07-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    WTB --> any vintage, cross-hair logo Surefire, SW01 tailcap; Ku's SWM V-series 18500 tubes; PM me if you have a SPY007 XM-L2 SWGG for trade!

No. A man with the jitters, shakes, and a nervous condition who'll likely die at least a decade earlier than he otherwise would have.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    You are so right, back to ON topic please. - Norm

2nd warning in 3..2..1..

C. G.
    Don't worry about your health, it's only temporary.

I was thinking of posting what my approx annual expenses are on this hobby, but then I realized that it wasn't worth it because lots of people with opinions would tell me their thoughts on how I should be spending my money and how frivolous some of my expenses may be - especially since I've got others hobbies which may be even more frivolous. Ah well....... we all know how the saying about opinions goes......

^ I know that's exactly how I felt...
    WTB --> any vintage, cross-hair logo Surefire, SW01 tailcap; Ku's SWM V-series 18500 tubes; PM me if you have a SPY007 XM-L2 SWGG for trade!

One of the lessons I learned in kindergarten: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

C. G.
    Don't worry about your health, it's only temporary.

I was thinking of posting what my approx annual expenses are on this hobby, but then I realized that it wasn't worth it because lots of people with opinions would tell me their thoughts on how I should be spending my money and how frivolous some of my expenses may be - especially since I've got others hobbies which may be even more frivolous. Ah well....... we all know how the saying about opinions goes......
    Sad that people have to get involved with your life, isn't it?

As far as I'm concerned, more power to ya if you have it

I don't see the problem with spending $30K on a hobby if you can afford it. On the other hand, starting a new thread just to mention how much money you just spent and listing all the fancy stuff you spent it on strikes me as kind of tacky.

I mean, I could start a thread in The Cafe about how my stereo's worth twice what my car is, but I'd sound like a jerk.
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT View Post
    I don't see the problem with spending $30K on a hobby if you can afford it. On the other hand, starting a new thread just to mention how much money you just spent and listing all the fancy stuff you spent it on strikes me as kind of tacky.

I mean, I could start a thread in The Cafe about how my stereo's worth twice what my car is, but I'd sound like a jerk.
    I started this thread when my wife informed me how much was spent on my new hobby. Collecting lights is a great hobby, but you can get carried away with it. What I do spend on my hobbies is well within my means and very enjoyable! Like most guys, I like "cool stuff" or as you put it "fancy stuff" and share it with other enthusiasts. Perhaps you feel everyone who posts pictures or lists their collection is tacky or maybe just me? I wish you all the best with your car stereo hobby! I remember when I was 16 and my car stereo was worth more than my car, fortunately times have changed for me
    My Lights_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I for one am not envious. Don't get me wrong, I would LIKE to have what you have but that doesn't mean I begrudge (is this correct) what you have. Mo power to ya

Quote Originally Posted by shado View Post
    I started this thread when my wife informed me how much was spent on my new hobby. Collecting lights is a great hobby, but you can get carried away with it. What I do spend on my hobbies is well within my means and very enjoyable! Like most guys, I like "cool stuff" or as you put it "fancy stuff" and share it with other enthusiasts. Perhaps you feel everyone who posts pictures or lists their collection is tacky or maybe just me? I wish you all the best with your car stereo hobby! I remember when I was 16 and my car stereo was worth more than my car, fortunately times have changed for me
    Posting photos or talking about your stuff is one thing, but applying a dollar amount, especially when it's the topic of the thread, and especially when it's a substantial amount of money to some people is just being ostentatious IMHO. I know people who'll happily tell me about their sailboat, but if they told me it cost them $400,000 right off the bat it'd be rude as hell.

There's a difference between "Check out my new pen" and "I just spent $140 on a pen, here's a pic."

And I'm into 2-channel home audio. Never spent a dime on a car stereo, even when I was a foolish teenager.

I think your last sentence illustrates all the points in this thread though, in a way. You may spend your money on stereos where to someone else their iPhone and the set or ear buds that came with them is all they will ever need. And believe me I've been over on the audiophile forums. If you don't have your speakers wired with the latest oxygen free cable thicker than a set of jumper cables they won't even talk to you.

I am actually just noticing that I think many people may have taken the original context of this thread the wrong way. I always took it to mean holy moly I just totaled it up and I can't believe I spent this much. But, now I see there may be many who have taken it to be someone braggin like - hey, look at me and how much I can spend on lights and stick it in your face. I fully believe it to be the former. I don't believe Todd mean to show off at all.

For example: I thought the picture of the 12+ Spy's was pretty awesome. I did similar with SS E-series light a few years back and it felt great to look at a full collection and be proud of the work that went into collecting them all.

I think your last sentence illustrates all the points in this thread though, in a way. You may spend your money on stereos where to someone else their iPhone and the set or ear buds that came with them is all they will ever need. And believe me I've been over on the audiophile forums. If you don't have your speakers wired with the latest oxygen free cable thicker than a set of jumper cables they won't even talk to you.

I am actually just noticing that I think many people may have taken the original context of this thread the wrong way. I always took it to mean holy moly I just totaled it up and I can't believe I spent this much. But, now I see there may be many who have taken it to be someone braggin like - hey, look at me and how much I can spend on lights and stick it in your face. I fully believe it to be the former. I don't believe Todd mean to show off at all.

For example: I thought the picture of the 12+ Spy's was pretty awesome. I did similar with SS E-series light a few years back and it felt great to look at a full collection and be proud of the work that went into collecting them all.
    Yeah, I'm a little perplexed at what goes on in some audiophile forums.

I'm not saying Shado's trying to brag or show up people on purpose. Just that it might not have been the classiest way to start a thread and I don't think you can fault people for taking it the wrong way. In that way, I mean. I don't agree with the folks saying he should have spent it in some other way, since obviously he's not forcing his family to starve for the sake of flashlights.
    Last edited by ABTOMAT; 08-08-2012 at 05:55 PM.

There's a difference between "Check out my new pen" and "I just spent $140 on a pen, here's a pic."
    I'd just smile and say, "Nice pen."

Then I'd welcome the newbie to the world of pen collecting. Or, I'd ask him who got him the pen as a gift so that he'd never need to use a cheap disposable again.

Honestly, I just didn't get the vibe that Shado made this topic in order to gloat. More along the lines of "Damn! I can't believe I spent that much on this hobby." I understand. All the bills get paid. Money put aside for savings. But it can still be surprising. I once put together a SureFire E1E from spare parts simply because I had an extra E-series head after an E2E modification into an LED light. Bought all the other parts I needed off of the CPF MarketPlace. Figured I'd save a bit of money. When I was done, a bit is exactly what I saved. Literally $1 compared to just buying a brand new E1E. Yup! A dollar! Oh! . . . Kinda wish I hadn't done the math. And checked my results more than once too.

Pricing this hobby can be very surprising. Often surprising enough that a topic about it is not a bad idea.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

This thread has gone way beyond what Shado originally intended I'm sure.

It looks like it's heading downhill with people questioning Shado's original intentions when he started this thread.

Thread Closed - Norm