SunwayLED
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I spent $30,000 in my first 6 Months

Flashaholic

Default Re: I spent $30,000 in my first 6 Months

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    BTW, would love to drive to Alta to see these in person.
    Instead you should invite him to the next Vancouver get together whenever that happens.

Flashaholic*

shado. My God, man. That is one sweet collection. I feel a little weak just looking at the Tanks. Not to mention all the McGizmos.
    I don't care about ho much money you've spent. Are you losing your house? No? Then well played, sir. Well played.

congrads, great collection.
    i'd be afraid to guess what you'll spend this year, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RedForest UK View Post
    Don't you ever find that the more you buy the less you appreciate what you have? Then you become more and more focused on getting the next thing, which only ever turns out to be what you wanted for a shorter and shorter time period.

I would recommend getting some cheaper but still good quality lights and using them, bash them around a bit, take them places you will need and appreciate them. The more you use something the more you will appreciate it and the happier you will feel.

I'd also recommend trying modding some lights yourself, the satisfaction of using something you made yourself and know you can trust through personal experience is often much greater than just recieving something with little relative investment in it (I'm talking time and effort, not money here).

I honestly think these are what you need to find a 'grail' light, in fact you probably already have many capable of being it.
    +1! The biggest satisfaction I get is from modding/building. Just buying lights to let them sit on a shelf falls flat for me. The process of building and modding is its own reward. I get a lot of pleasure from modding and improving lights for as little as possible. And if it gets beat upon or lost, I'm not out that much.

If I had this many lights, my wife would A) put me in the psych hospital or B) Call A&E and put me on Hoarders! C) Both

My grail light? Had to build it! Was never happy with production lights or the few customs I had when I was still working, especially when those customs had all the same or inferior electronics I could do myself for a fraction of the cost.

I'm compassionate by nature and if I had this kind of money, I wouldn't have it long. I'd probably be giving it away to others less fortunate that need it. (but deserve it!)

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richpalm View Post
    +1! The biggest satisfaction I get is from modding/building. Just buying lights to let them sit on a shelf falls flat for me. The process of building and modding is its own reward. I get a lot of pleasure from modding and improving lights for as little as possible. And if it gets beat upon or lost, I'm not out that much.

If I had this many lights, my wife would A) put me in the psych hospital or B) Call A&E and put me on Hoarders! C) Both

My grail light? Had to build it! Was never happy with production lights or the few customs I had when I was still working, especially when those customs had all the same or inferior electronics I could do myself for a fraction of the cost.

I'm compassionate by nature and if I had this kind of money, I wouldn't have it long. I'd probably be giving it away to others less fortunate that need it. (but deserve it!)

Rich
    i can relate, +10000

I think this collection shows just how much an addiction (any addiction) can drive you. That is way too many lights for you to use but yet, I bet you still don't have enough? The money is no issue- I'm sure nothing important was sacrificed for this collection, bills were paid, holidays were taken etc. Some people have more disposable money than others, so what? I'm very certain that there are high end earners with cocaine addictions to this amount, and what do they have to show for it? This would be a "one off" collection and is something unique- the finest of a particular art? More power to you, enjoy. For me, I get pleasure from buying modded flashlights by guys who tinker in their back sheds or garage, and turn a cheap 150 lumens light into a 1000 lumens monster that eats IMRs! Either way, we get our kicks.....

wow stunning collection

Unenlightened

Party Re: I spent $30,000 in my first 6 Months

So cool , good collection

Just simply amazing!!! Love the gatlight and spy 007!!!

Unenlightened

I'm really diggin the holsters for the lights is that one on the left Gator or some other thick scaled animal?

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    I'm really diggin the holsters for the lights is that one on the left Gator or some other thick scaled animal?
    It's either Gator or Croc?
    My Lights_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Very nice collection. I like the damascus one also. Do I see a stingray case?

Glen

I spent at least half that much but learned to practice "catch and release" and my wife is "OK" with that concept as the mail lady drops off new packages daily. Amazed to see some of my "old friends" in your collection. Guess we share similar taste for the finer things life has to offer! AWESOME collection Todd!
    Karl H. Riedel III. Realtor and a WHOLE lot more!

Global Financial Crisis? What Global Financial Crisis? You're single handedly keeping the flashlight industry immune to the GFC LOL

Very impressive. Also, if that's your flashlight collection i'd like to see your battery collection

cheers

Wow Shado, awesome collection. I find It fascinating how different each collection is. Each with a different criteria in mind while looking. My collection is a good reflection of me (very random)
    Looking at yours, you have fine tastes, and are all about the details and nuances
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Unenlightened

If I had done that my wife would have killed me .... Nice Collection .... Steven
    Last edited by Norm; 05-29-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Well, I do not feel so guilty for buying that SureFire M6 now!

Then again, I think we may not be in the same tax bracket :-)

I am still thinking hard and long for a 160 Dollar Production Ti light.
    you are one hella of a collector. I collect knives, spend well over 10K on custom knives.
    But 30K on lights is a league on its own. Wonderful collection!!!

I read through this whole thread and I had to comment, I really cannot believe all the negative comments. This collection is beautiful and yes its extreme but if youve done well enough financially in life to be able to do this then more power to ya dude. Lots of people blow this much on cocaine and hookers. And hell, more power to them too! Anybody who doesnt like it can take the life lessons thier mother gave them and .... Write it in their diary. But since nobody asked, I have got to know, what do you do for a career Shado?

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnson34 View Post
    ....since nobody asked, I have got to know, what do you do for a career Shado?
    I would think it obvious, Todd is a museum curator.

Brilliant collection!

......Oops, you've left the security device deactivated on the McGizmo's!

~ Chance

Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 05-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Don't worry about your health, it's only temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnson34 View Post
    I read through this whole thread and I had to comment, I really cannot believe all the negative comments. This collection is beautiful and yes its extreme but if youve done well enough financially in life to be able to do this then more power to ya dude. Lots of people blow this much on cocaine and hookers. And hell, more power to them too! Anybody who doesnt like it can take the life lessons thier mother gave them and .... Write it in their diary. But since nobody asked, I have got to know, what do you do for a career Shado?
    +1 to this... if you are successful enough in life to be able to drop 30k on something you like and not think twice... then more power to you

why 30k on lights? because he can thats why. and why shouldnt he?

nice collection btw

edit: whats in your garage sir :-D lol
    Last edited by jmpaul320; 05-27-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Nice collection! Know what I call $30,000.00 spent on lights? A great start!!!!!!!!
    Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

You could probably light a whole neighborbood with those lights.

To each his own, I guess. Nice collection, though .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's a sickness we all have. What makes all of us talk about lights and read about lights sometimes on a nightly basis??? I bought a light last might and here I am on the forum again, I don't even know what I'm looking for. I really have to find another hobby as this has become a little obsessive! Anybody in my boat? Lol
    My torches: olight sr51, zebralight sc600, fenix tk15, fenix ld10, fenix ld01, fenix e01, led lenser p17,Led lenser p5, led lenser h7, maglite 6d (led conversion) and still waiting for my HDS!

So how many more have you collected in the last year since you posted the pics?

Now I don't feel nearly as guilty about buying all those lights in the last year.

You should start collecting dslr cameras and lenses. Your lights may serve as studio lights . You got beamshots of those 007's? I'm curious how they look.

I really appreciate the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    So how many more have you collected in the last year since you posted the pics?

Now I don't feel nearly as guilty about buying all those lights in the last year.
    I've been collecting knives as of late, but here's a few recent pics of my favourites

SPY 005's

With some of my 007's

Gatlight V1/V2/V3 (SS/Aluminum/Titanium)

Gatlight V1 PILA 168S, I really like this one!

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaul320 View Post
    +1 to this... if you are successful enough in life to be able to drop 30k on something you like and not think twice... then more power to you

why 30k on lights? because he can thats why. and why shouldnt he?

nice collection btw

edit: whats in your garage sir :-D lol
    A Lexus SUV (I live in Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by HaileStorm View Post
    You should start collecting dslr cameras and lenses. Your lights may serve as studio lights . You got beamshots of those 007's? I'm curious how they look.

I posted some SPY 007 beam shots here and here

Thanks
    Todd
    My Lights_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Very nice!

Wow, incredible collection. You have a very understanding wife

Would love to see your knife collection someday.

You know what could be worst? ...not having $30,000 to spend on your lights

Everyone have different priorities and needs, but I wouldn't worry one bit about spending $30,000, I will worry about how quickly I can to make my $3M!

Power to you shado...now if you ever decide to let go of your SPY005, give me a PM
    WTB --> any vintage, cross-hair logo Surefire, SW01 tailcap; Ku's SWM V-series 18500 tubes; PM me if you have a SPY007 XM-L2 SWGG for trade!