Fenix TK50 Review

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had posted the same review as followings dated on Jan. 11, but it was disappeared Feb. 7.
Asked adimistrator why it was disappeared and to recover it.
He replied there was an apparent glitch while sorting through spam. Unfortunately the thread
is unrecoverable.
( http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=309229 )

Thanks to AnAppleSnail(CPFer), I could saved the review only. He catched the file by googling.
Thanks again AnAppleSnail.
Anyway I've spent much time in posting again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Original review)

TK50 uses two 1.5v D-sized alkarine or Ni-MH batteries. I think it's the first Fenix flashlight
which is powered by D-cell batteries.
tk501.jpg

tk502.jpg

Included in the plastic hard case are TK50, lanyard, extra o-rings, warranty card and user's manual,
two alkarine batteries.
tk503.jpg

Looks pretty nice and big light, and well-HA III anodized as a whole. Knurling is not very aggressive, but not slippery.
tk504.jpg

The head has some fins to improve cooling and has dual side button switches make not only rapid
mode change but brightness change.
The side button switch on the right is power switch and the left one is a switch for selecting brightness
levels. There are two modes(general flashing mode). When the light is in the general mode, a single
press on the left button can select 4 brightness levels in the order of Turbe --> Low --> Med. -->High
--> Cycle.

When the light is in the flashing mode, a single press on the left button can transfer in the order of
Strobe --> SOS --> Warning Flashing --> Cycle. When turns on the light, it'll enter into the general
mode. The fast double press on the power switch can select the desired mode.
tk505.jpg

The battery tube knurling shape is quite same as TK45.
tk506.jpg

TK50 is split into three parts without using tools. The side button switches both have a good
feel and give the ease of operation.
tk507.jpg

The light has an wide deep smooth reflector with a very well centered Cree XP-G R5 LED
at the bottom.
tk508.jpg

The square-cut threads at the head are excellent.
tk509.jpg

The contact spring in the head is covered by a small gold colored cap which moves inside.
Therefore the flat-top D-cells can't work.
tk5010.jpg

The rear part of the head can be opened with a small tool.
tk5011.jpg

There are the circuit contact spring when opening the black colored plastic cover.
This structure avoids circuit damaging from reverse connection of battery. Nice design!
tk5012.jpg

Screw threads are not anodized at the battery tube connect to head.
tk5013.jpg

The straight thin furrow shapes on the inside of the large rectangular pattern look classy.
tk5014.jpg

Screw threads are anodized at the battery tube connect to tail cap. The thickness of the battery
tube is considerably thick and this may exert high impact resistance durability.
tk5015.jpg

The square-cut threads are anodized at the tail cap for lock-out.
tk5016.jpg

Without any fixation device, the spring of the tail cap are integrated using elasticity of the spring
only. It's a simple and reliable way.
tk5017.jpg

The tail allows tail standing and has two holes for mounting the lanyard.
tk5018.jpg

The net weight of TK50 is around 288g.
tk5019.jpg

The weight including batteries is 575g.

The following pictures are white door beamshots.
- About 50cm from the white door
- Turbo brightness (ANSI 255 lumens)
tk5020.jpg

ISO200, F2.8, 1/125sec.
tk5021.jpg

ISO200, F2.8, 1/250sec.
tk5022.jpg

ISO200, F2.8, 1/400sec.
tk5023.jpg

TK50 with smooth reflector produces a very bright hot spot and brighter widerspill beam than expected as well.
It shows cool white tint.
I've taken Jil-Lite STERN, FARKA F8 v5 lights, to compare to TK50.
(Sorry for not havingbig lights similar to TK50.)
hkm3.JPG

Here are the main specifications of each light.
- STERN : Osram Golden Dragon Plus, Cool White, SMO, 1x18650 li-ion
- FARKA F8 v5 : Cree XP-G R5, Cool White, SMO, 1x18650 li-ion
- TK50 : Cree XP-G R5, Cool White, SMO, 2xD-Cell alkarines
The conditions of the indoor beamshots are
- Distance : about 7m
- Brightness : all maximum
- ISO200, F2.8, 1/4sec
tk5025.jpg

STERN
tk5026.jpg

FARKA F8 v5
tk5027.jpg

TK50
tk5028.jpg

You can be able to find out the beam pattern characteristics of TK50 from the above beamshots.
The conditions of the outdoor beamshots are
- Distance : about 60~65m
- ISO200, F2.8, 1sec.
tk5029.jpg

Control Shot
tk5030.jpg

STERN (FARKA is excluded because STERN is brighter than FARKA.)
tk5031.jpg

TK50
tk5032.jpg

STERN(Up), TK50(Down)

(Original review)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE : Jan. 17, 2011
I've taken an Wolf Eyes NIGHT-HUNTER to compare to TK50 as well.
Here are the main specifications of each light.
- NIGHT HUNTER : Cree XP-G R5, Cool White, OP with Aspherical Lens, 1x18650 li-ion
- TK50 : Cree XP-G R5, Cool White, SMO, 2xD-Cell alkarines
tk5033.jpg

The conditions of the outdoor beamshots are
- Distance : about 60~65m
- ISO200, F2.8, 1sec
tk5034.jpg

Control Shot
tk5035.jpg

NIGHT-HUNTER
tk5036.jpg

TK50

tk5037.jpg

TK50(Up), NIGHT HUNTER(Down)
tk5038.jpg

It's amazing.
UPDATE : Jan. 25, 2011
At present Fenix dosen't make the diffuser for TK50 and I thought where would I get it.
But I realized that I don't need to buy or make it because the plastic hard case came with TK50
may be a good diffuser. OK let's see it.
tk5039.jpg

It's OK to insert TK50 into the case.
tk5040.jpg

The case is well suited to TK50.
tk5041.jpg

Looking down on the head of TK50.
tk5042.jpg

Turn on the light. Still bright.
Now let's see in the small room. The beamshot conditions are
- Brightness : High Turbo
- ISO200, F2.8, 1/2sec
tk5043.jpg

Control shot (It's black as styx that I can't see anything in the room.)
tk5044.jpg

High level without diffuser
tk5045.jpg

High level with diffuser
tk5046.jpg

Turbo level without diffuser
tk5047.jpg

Turbo level with diffuser
tk5048.jpg

The plastic case is not only a good for keeping the light but a diffuser.

(Original review)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE : Feb. 11, 2011
I'd introduce the other review from www.ohled.com for TK50. The reviewer is kojs1901.
He compared TK50 with the followings :
- Fenix TK30, MC-E, 2x18650
- Tiablo A10, Cree R2, 1x18650
- Dereelight DBS with Optic Lens, Cree R2, 1x18650
tk5049.jpg

From left to right, TK50, TK30, A10, DBS with Optic lens
tk5050.jpg

Control Shot
tk5051.jpg

Tiablo A10
tk5052.jpg

DBS with Optic lens
tk5053.jpg

TK50
tk5054.jpg

TK30
He said that although not exactly expresssed by the pictures due to a resolution adjustment, DBS has the most
brightest hot spot with no spill beam and A10 has a tight hot spot with negligible spill beam. However TK50 has
not only a tight hot spot but also an harmonious spill beam as you can see.
I'd introduce an intersting beamshots for TK50, Suterfire C10, and Skylay 1JC8.

The spec. of the lights are
- Suterfire C10, Cree Q5, 1x18650
- Skylay 1JC8, Cree Q5, 1x18650
tk5055.jpg

Beamshot condtions :
- Auto shot mode, 1 sec, F2.8
tk5056.jpg

Control Shot
tk5057.jpg

Skylay 1JC8
tk5058.jpg

Suterfire C10
tk5059.jpg

TK50
tk5060.jpg

From the top Skylay 1JC8, Suterfire C10, TK50
tk5061.jpg

He said that C2 has more hotspot due to the cool white tint in the near distance.
In the long distance, TK50 never fall behind C2 because of a larger, wider reflector, beam pattern of a low color
temperature and harmonious spill beam.

In my view, TK50 is not a thrower only showing tight hoptspot with negligible spill beam, and it has an harmonious
bright spill beam too.
UPDATE : Apr. 10, 2011
I received D-cell adapters(converters). They are 2xAA to D-sized battery converter cases.
62176030.jpg

84165609.jpg

45594078.jpg

They make the light weigh a lot less and I think this is a great buy for anyone who wants to convert
there D cell electronics to a AA source batteries.

Last edited:

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Yes but look at the bright side, your very well done review was saved and re posted. I'm sure you'll get more replies in time.

Acid87

Enlightened
Great review of an interesting light.
All that needs to be added is a Solarforce MPP-1?
Great and practical review. Also great idea with the box as diffuser!

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
Great review! I have this light and I have to say it's pretty amazing for only 255 lumens. As a matter of fact, it throws as well as my TK35, although it doesn't have as big a spot. (my flashlight lingo isn't up to snuff) That said, I highly recommend it anyone needing excellent throw without a huge flood effect.

Fluffy Ops

Newly Enlightened
Great review! I'm sorry that you lost some replies during the crash, at least you still have this review. However, I think I got the loose end of the deal: I lost my entire account :(

Anyways, I love your vivid close-ups. BTW you might want to double-check some of your pictures because some do not seem to show. Maybe the link does not exist anymore.

357mag1

Enlightened
I'm running my TK50 on 8 Eneloops using a custom adapter from "mdocod". If you catch him at the right time he will build these connectors special order. Quality is topnotch but it may seem silly to drop $50 on an adapter to use in an $80 light. I just haven't found any D cells that work as well as my Eneloops.

I tried using Energizer Lithium AAs and the extra voltage doesn't allow the modes to work properly. Everything is fine on High and Turbo but Med and Low are the same brightness as High. Basically turning the TK50 into a two mode light. It would be okay if you wanted the longest runtime on Turbo or High.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes but look at the bright side, your very well done review was saved and re posted. I'm sure you'll get more replies in time.

Thanks Thefo.

Great review! I have this light and I have to say it's pretty amazing for only 255 lumens. As a matter of fact, it throws as well as my TK35, although it doesn't have as big a spot. (my flashlight lingo isn't up to snuff) That said, I highly recommend it anyone needing excellent throw without a huge flood effect.

You have TK35 is great light. It has bright & big spot beam, and wider spill beam.

Great review!!!
Thanks for sharing your review.

Thanks for your excellent pictures & riviews for surefire too.

Great review! I'm sorry that you lost some replies during the crash, at least you still have this review. However, I think I got the loose end of the deal: I lost my entire account :(

Anyways, I love your vivid close-ups. BTW you might want to double-check some of your pictures because some do not seem to show. Maybe the link does not exist anymore.

I'm sorry that you lost your entire account.
Thanks for your comment and I upload the pictures again. If you can't see the pictures, let me know at any time.

I'm running my TK50 on 8 Eneloops using a custom adapter from "mdocod". If you catch him at the right time he will build these connectors special order. Quality is topnotch but it may seem silly to drop $50 on an adapter to use in an $80 light. I just haven't found any D cells that work as well as my Eneloops.

I tried using Energizer Lithium AAs and the extra voltage doesn't allow the modes to work properly. Everything is fine on High and Turbo but Med and Low are the same brightness as High. Basically turning the TK50 into a two mode light. It would be okay if you wanted the longest runtime on Turbo or High.

You use mdocod's D-cell adapter for 8 AA cells. I envy you.
I experienced the same thing with very fresh two 1.5V Duracell alkarines. The low & med. are the same brighteness during about 5~10 minutes at first.

Last edited:

gate2091

Newly Enlightened
Great review, but wouldn't the case heat up if you were to use it as a diffuser on the high mode? It's a smart idea but i think it would get too hot in there. What do you say? :))

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review, have placed one on order, for work, thanks to your review. Cheers.

Thanks and you will certainly be happy with it.

Great review, but wouldn't the case heat up if you were to use it as a diffuser on the high mode? It's a smart idea but i think it would get too hot in there. What do you say? :))

Thanks for your support.
I prefer to use it as a diffuser on med. brightness because it's not only bright enough but safe for heat treatment.
High is OK for 20~30 minutes as well. I'd rate TK50's heat dissipation highly.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Candle lamp.....Great review...and fantastic photos. I have the TK45 and have had various 'throwers' that I always sold right away for the far reaching..but usually limited use beams, so I struggled to buy this light, but your review helped me give in. I did miss the part in it on my first read where brand new batteries eleminate the lowest level. This is also the case with my light. That being said, I really like the beam. It is pretty flawless for a smoot reflector...has NO R5 donut hole...yet will throw for 200+ (easilly) yards with a beam that is not just a small circle, but a ussable surround and a very bright spill beam. I like it SO MUCH better than my Streamlight Stinger HP led that has a narrower spill, (often off center led) heavy pwm, nicad batt much worse runtime. This is just a great light. I like the fact that regular D cells give such fantastic runtime, though I plan to buy rechargable's soon. I also think I might buy a couple D-AA battery converter tubes and try it with 2 AA lithium Energizers in it. (should lighten the light a bit I would think. Again, thanks for the review...I am glad I bought the light.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the fact that regular D cells give such fantastic runtime, though I plan to buy rechargable's soon. I also think I might buy a couple D-AA battery converter tubes and try it with 2 AA lithium Energizers in it. (should lighten the light a bit I would think. Again, thanks for the review...I am glad I bought the light.

It's my pleasure and thanks. woodrow
Congratuate on your getting the light.
I'm using two 1.2v Eneloop Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries in a D-cell converter and highly pleased.
84165609.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
Never tempted on this one before reading the review.

I'm amazed you can substitute 6 or even 12 volts of AA for 3 volts of D? This must void the warranty. If I'm going to spend $80 for a Fenix I want the warranty. If the alkalines leak I think Duracell backs it up with their own warranty?

I'd be curious what the regulation looks like with alkalines?

How long will it take for the parasitic drain to drain alkalines? I'm not interested in yet another charger and battery type. The only way this flashlight makes sense for me personally is as a garage light with cheap alkalines and it is very likely that my wife or I will forget to lock it out.

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
Candle lamp.....Great review...and fantastic photos. I have the TK45 and have had various 'throwers' that I always sold right away for the far reaching..but usually limited use beams, so I struggled to buy this light, but your review helped me give in. I did miss the part in it on my first read where brand new batteries eleminate the lowest level. This is also the case with my light. That being said, I really like the beam. It is pretty flawless for a smoot reflector...has NO R5 donut hole...yet will throw for 200+ (easilly) yards with a beam that is not just a small circle, but a ussable surround and a very bright spill beam. I like it SO MUCH better than my Streamlight Stinger HP led that has a narrower spill, (often off center led) heavy pwm, nicad batt much worse runtime. This is just a great light. I like the fact that regular D cells give such fantastic runtime, though I plan to buy rechargable's soon. I also think I might buy a couple D-AA battery converter tubes and try it with 2 AA lithium Energizers in it. (should lighten the light a bit I would think. Again, thanks for the review...I am glad I bought the light.

Keep in mind if you use the battery converters and Lithium Energizers your light will have the same brightness on low, med and high. Each of those levels will appear to be high. The light does not seem to be able to regulate for the lower levels but does well on high and turbo with the extra voltage supplied by the Energizer lithiums.

357mag1

Enlightened
Never tempted on this one before reading the review.

I'm amazed you can substitute 6 or even 12 volts of AA for 3 volts of D? This must void the warranty. If I'm going to spend $80 for a Fenix I want the warranty. If the alkalines leak I think Duracell backs it up with their own warranty?

I'd be curious what the regulation looks like with alkalines?

How long will it take for the parasitic drain to drain alkalines? I'm not interested in yet another charger and battery type. The only way this flashlight makes sense for me personally is as a garage light with cheap alkalines and it is very likely that my wife or I will forget to lock it out.

The mdocod battery holders I referred to are wired to provide 2.4v so when using 8 Eneloops it is equivalent to having two 8000mah LSD D cells. The light struggles to regulate with two lithium Energizers in series so I'm pretty sure 6 or 8 nimhs in series would burn the driver up. In fact I would be scared to try 3 nimh cells in series.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The mdocod battery holders I referred to are wired to provide 2.4v so when using 8 Eneloops it is equivalent to having two 8000mah LSD D cells. The light struggles to regulate with two lithium Energizers in series so I'm pretty sure 6 or 8 nimhs in series would burn the driver up. In fact I would be scared to try 3 nimh cells in series.

Wouldn't 3 Volts be better? Anyway with your custom holder do all modes work properly?

357mag1

Enlightened
Wouldn't 3 Volts be better? Anyway with your custom holder do all modes work properly?

I might have confused you. Two nimh cells in series are generally referred to as having 2.4v due to single nimh cells averaging 1.2v under load. Indeed if all 8 cells read 1.5v then the resting voltage across the terminals of the holder would be 3 volts.

Yes, all modes work when using the custom holder.

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
It's my pleasure and thanks. woodrow
Congratuate on your getting the light.
I'm using two 1.2v Eneloop Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries in a D-cell converter and highly pleased.
84165609.jpg

What kind of runtimes are you getting with these adaptors using Eneloops? BTW, I just ordered a couple for my TK50.

Latest posts