Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Regarding the "glow cap", what do you mean by "charged up"?
    I know the glowing rings in the head are very bright but only for about 5 minutes.

Default Re: Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave View Post
    I use Eneloops exclusively with my 3 E03's, It compares favorably in brightness to other single AA lights on Nimh and all the levels are usable. I use Med (~40-60 lm) the most followed by low (~4lm) and then max the least.

The Xeno E03 on 14500 is great for showing off but the lack of a real low and med are usability killers. Nobody would design a light with those levels on purpose, its more like "hey it didn't blow up so let's sell it as a feature!" Its better than those Fenix where you loose all lower modes, but its not as good as a proper buck driver like on the Quarks.
    Hi. I will probably receive my light in the mail today. I had no intention of buying this light before reading all these threads. But it soon became sort of addictive. I liked that it is a quality light and seemingly worth more than it's price point. What is the attraction of flashlights to 'us guys?' However, without the ability to use the 14500 battery and achieve super-brite, I doubt if I was a buyer. I was interested in purchasing the Eagleatac P20C2 or the Jetbeam PC25. Now what do I do? And yesterday I found a light for around only $400 with a range of 1000' and shines 2200 lumens. Ha! Maybe I'll just use my lil Xeno and tell myself IT IS ENUF!

patrick -

Default Re: Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Quote Originally Posted by MojaveMoon07 View Post
    After the conclusion of your evaluation, may I ask if you could post also your impression of the tint ?
    I will post the data next week (off on holidays now), but I can tell you the beam tint is virtually identical to my original XP-G R5 Neutral E03 (i.e. a nice pleasing Neutral).

Note that the sample E03-2 I tested was from the first batch of XM-L lights, and uses a T6 Neutral white. Can't comment on the more recent T5 Neutrals.

FYI, I'm going to be on holidays the next few days without internet access, so will check back in on all my threads on Monday.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 07-14-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Fenix LD60.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

I have just tested a XM-L-based E03 (Neutral T6, loaned from eala), comparison results added to the end of the review, and summarized below:

Note: Original E03 is the XP-G Neutral R5 version.

In summary, the new XM-L version has a broader and less defined hotspot, making the light seem "floodier" (i.e. less throw).

On standard batteries, max output has increased somewhat (for equivalent runtime), but you may not notice the difference given the floodier beam. At lower levels, output and runtime are equvalent between the XP-G and XM-L versions.

On 14500, output has increased at ALL levels. The Hi level is now insanely bright, and not something I would recommend running the light at (i.e. heat will be an issue, potentially damaging the light or the battery). The Med level on the XM-L is now slightly brighter than the Hi of the original XP-G version, and the Lo on the XM-L is slightly brighter than the Lo of XP-G verison (with again equvalent runtime). So, basically, you gain a very temporary "burst" Hi mode on this new XL-L version, but loose the old Med mode.

Hope that helps!

Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Fenix LD60.

Enlightened

nice update selfbuilt...have a question here. can we swap reflectors of on the xpg and xml?
    i have the cool white xml and was thinking of putting in the xpg reflector to give the light more throw.
    D10, EOS A3, DBS Aspheric V3, TK 41, TK40 and my reliable FJ40....love them all.

Quote Originally Posted by amraspalantir View Post
    nice update selfbuilt...have a question here. can we swap reflectors of on the xpg and xml?
    i have the cool white xml and was thinking of putting in the xpg reflector to give the light more throw.
    Wouldn't make a difference - the reflectors look to be about the same. The throw limitation with XM-L comes from the much larger die size. To focus all that light to tight hotspot requires a much larger reflector, compared to XP-G.

Flashaholic*

Nice job! Can't wait to get it back in my grubby hands.

eala

Flashaholic*

It that correct, that the xm-l has a lower low mode (on Eneloops)?

Talk about consistency on eneloops, just look at the 1 minute difference in medium run-times.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
    It that correct, that the xm-l has a lower low mode (on Eneloops)?
    It's not a big difference, only 4 vs 5 estimated lumens. It could simply be individual light variability, and not due to the emtter per se.

Flashaholic

Thanks for taking the time to do an update. Just got my Neutral xml on Monday. It sure does get hot fast on High.
    Deus Vult

Quote Originally Posted by Tuikku View Post
    Maybe manufacturer will make those low-modes better for next editions. I´m sure many will skip this because of that
    absolutely right.

* Low is definitely not low enough. 20 lumen loiw is considered "Ultra Low"? Come on...

* Runtime on low is pathetic. 20 hours on a AA Eneloop? I can get more than 20 hours on a AAA light with ease.

* The M/L/H UI is not what people want. The poll I did a year or so ago proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt with a 9.4 to 1 difference to the M/L/H crowd.

If those areas were addressed I'd reconsider.

this is becoming a problem that is gonna flatten my pockets, lol great review, had my eyes on this one also

Broke Re: Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

I know that feeling I hope to get one of the remaining blue neutral white XM-Ls. I know its a bit more than the $30 mentioned earlier but Ive become very impressed with my recent XM-L purchases
    Last edited by tsask; 07-30-2011 at 09:15 PM.

just got my cool white black from hkeqipmenet on ebay. got here in less than 2 weeks.

WOW this thing is bright on 14500's. It lights up my whole yard! I'm going to buy more!

I love these lights, I have 2 and will most likely order another. I have really been enjoying the warm tint. Just for fun yesterday I took out the XM-L pill and put it in an old Mini Mag. It got pretty hot so the fun ended quickly and back into Xeno it went.
    Last edited by Lightdadark; 08-01-2011 at 08:28 PM.

I have just received my warm white from hkequipment. If I am going to buy another one, I will get a cool white instead. Yellow tint is just not my type.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoBox View Post
    just got my cool white black from hkeqipmenet on ebay. got here in less than 2 weeks.

WOW this thing is bright on 14500's. It lights up my whole yard! I'm going to buy more!
    Neutral Blue from HKequipment here. ~2 wk delivery time as well.
    Wife loved it with some duracell AAs the first night. Her eyes popped out last night with some 'disposable' 14500s from Batteries Plus down the street. It's simply unreal how much output this little light has.

Flashaholic*

Thanks for all information about this light!

I recently ordered two Xeno E03 XM-L from Tactical HD. One in blue and the other in red, but both in warm white tint. Only 4 hours after the payment I received info that the order is shipped!
    It will be very interesting to try out this light. I am tempted to get a few 14500 cells with charger. Even if the light is too small for more than short while use at high mode with 14500 it would still be fun to experience it...
    Of course I will share my opinion later.

Best autumn greeting!

Flashaholic*

Today I received the two XM-L E03s. Short personal impression:

These are really nice lights, feel like quality products. The red option has an aggressive knurling like the black model in the first post of this thread, while the blue has a less aggressive knurling more in the design of the knurling of Fenix TK10, but it feels more aggressive than Fenix TK10.
    Both lights have glowing rings between the reflector and lens. But the red colored model has a glowing pushbutton while the blue has a black with knurling pattern.

The tint of warm really is very warm, which I like, especially for outdoor use. But I wonder about if the neutral would be better for allround use.
    The wide hotspot with XM-L emitter is very good for short and mid distance use.

Usually I prefer low-mid-high order rather than mid-low-high but this isn't a big issue.

I measured the percentual brightness values (using as well alkaline and Eneloop AA) with the light meter and ceiling bounce test. In the small room I used the lux values are following:

Low: ca 4
    Ultra low: 0,4
    High: ca 12

It's instantly obvious even with eye estimation that the ultra low really is MUCH dimmer than 20lm! According to the lightmeter around 1/30 of the high mode, which should be around 3-5lm. While the stated 20lm hardly can be defined as ultra low, the actual brightness is much closer to it.

The tailstanding ability is an advantage, now I have two more lights who also can be used for cosy lighting at the lowest mode at home!

For the price I find these lights are great. Consider to get one or two more with neutral tint.
    I added a TW15 Diffuser Wand as well and this is very well made and works very well!

Regards, Patric
    Last edited by Swedpat; 08-19-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Hi,

I would modify my Xeno 03 with an improved homemade driver , especially to get a 0.1 lumen mode .
    But I really dont know how to unplug the driver from the body :-/
    Some advices ?

The pill just screws right out after you remove the bezel, lens, and reflector.

I dismounted the bezel, the lens, and 0ring but I can't remove the reflector. I pushed from the inside, tried with a tool from outside without success

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Nice review mate, think I will order a XM-L version tonight, wife is going to kill me with all my toys!

It`s so little and so bright, great review!

Flashaholic*

With all my flashlights I use to compare the tints and the color rendition. As usual cool whites wash out colors like green, brown and red. But also blue tinted objects are more difficult to separate with cool whites. I use to compare how I perceive the colors of my Maglites when I shine on them; blue, midnight blue and two different shades of purple. With cool whites all the blue and purple shades look almost the same. With warm white the purple separates significantly from the other bluish-purple and the blue. But not close to what an incan performs. Until now. The Xeno E03 WW makes the purple really look purple like no other warm white LED I have ever tried. Actually it's hard to see difference between it and an incan! Therefore I wonder: is Xeno E03 XM-L a high-CRI light?
    Last edited by Swedpat; 08-26-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    With all my flashlights I use to compare the tints and the color rendition. As usual cool whites wash out colors like green, brown and red. But also blue tinted objects are more difficult to separate with cool whites. I use to compare how I perceive the colors of my Maglites when I shine on them; blue, midnight blue and two different shades of purple. With cool whites all the blue and purple shades look almost the same. With warm white the purple separates significantly from the other bluish-purple and the blue. But not close to what an incan performs. Until now. The Xeno E03 WW makes the purple really look purple like no other warm white LED I have ever tried. Actually it's hard to see difference between it and an incan! Therefore I wonder: is Xeno E03 XM-L a high-CRI light?
    Warm White XM-L's are rated at 80 CRI±2. NW = 75±2. And CW 65±2. When companies refer to a light or LED as being high CRI, that usually means its in the 80-90 CRI range. So the E03 WW XM-L, is just about in that range.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jasonck08 View Post
    Warm White XM-L's are rated at 80 CRI±2. NW = 75±2. And CW 65±2. When companies refer to a light or LED as being high CRI, that usually means its in the 80-90 CRI range. So the E03 WW XM-L, is just about in that range.
    Ok, thanks for that information!

Even if we are teached that the tint has not to do with CRI in itself, actually in this case the CRI is higher with warmer tints.
    Last edited by Swedpat; 08-26-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Ok, thanks for that information!

Even if we are teached that the tint has not to do with CRI in itself, actually in this case the CRI is higher with warmer tints.
    Yea thats not always the case, but with LED's its usually the warmer, the higher the CRI.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonck08 View Post
    How does the warm white XM-L's CRI compare with the XR-E's on the E03 V2 warm white?
    My lights, all AA, neutral or warm: 3 Fenix TK20s; 2 Malkoff M30WFs; 2 Shiningbeam Romisens (5A); Dereelight XP-G R5 (close enough); UK 4AA incan.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland View Post
    How does the warm white XM-L's CRI compare with the XR-E's on the E03 V2 warm white?
    Do you mean XP-E / XP-G's?

Typical CRI of CW and NW XP-G's is 75. Typical CRI for XP-E WW is 80. The T4 WW XM-L is considerably brighter and more efficient than the WW XP-E Q3, which was previously the only WW option for the E03 before the XM-L. The CRI should be about the same, however.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast