Olympia Products
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Default Re: Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Just checked a fenix tip. Works fine, but the one from Xeno looks like a better idea for some tasks.
    On occasion, I'll use a diffuser to work inside a dark cabinet, running wire or setting hardware, slides, etc.

Default Re: Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    No worries. light distribution is radial, i.e. to the sides. less light pervades the top of the diffuser (its tip). Excellently bright and highly recommended. The Fenix diffusers have a different light distribution, e.g. real candle-like or directional through the tip, so the Fenix and Xeno diffusers dont form a redundant system.

No heat issues feared. Dont worry. the material is thick, solid, and made for this purpose.
    dont you trust the Chinese engineers? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thanks for comparing the Xeno diffuser to the Fenix one. I know I had read around CPF that the Fenix filter(s) fit, as well, but I wasn't sure at all if they were worth it. I appreciate your feedback in this thread, man.

I'll stick with my Xeno diffuser then!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedeske View Post
    Just checked a fenix tip. Works fine, but the one from Xeno looks like a better idea for some tasks.
    On occasion, I'll use a diffuser to work inside a dark cabinet, running wire or setting hardware, slides, etc.
    for the Xeno E03 i do recommend from the large set of Fenix diffusers and tips and caps and lenses and add-ons and etc the following two items:
    + the Xeno diffuser (okay, this is not by Fenix lol!),
    it's great for serious application, like scanning a table full of documents (it actually has much similarity to a PC's scanner!). the radial diffusion of the light ensures that the radial light output is surprisingly high so that you can use it for close-up work jobs at a table, incl. reading books.
    + the transparent Fenix diffuser tip
    this product could replace the Fenix diffuser lens. Since it's transparent most of the light goes through the tip of the cone which gives you a forward-directed diffused beam(!). a typical application of it is when you need diffused light ahead of you in the direction where you walk, e.g. indoors, basements, cellars, corners. Compared to the Xeno diffuser, i would call this beam uni-directional. Excellent diffuser when you move or walk with the torch in a restricted area where you dont need a hotspot and when a hotspot is 'wasted resources': indoors you dont need throw or want an extreme bright center spot.
    + the white Fenix diffuser tip
    this product diffuses light into all directions and thus the light intensity at any point in space is low. With this diffuser you cannot do any serious work or reading books or walking through rooms. The only sensible application of this diffuser is lighting up a small chamber (room) evenly in tailstand candle-like mode. However, since 21.5mm lights are usually not bright enough, the effect of lighting up a whole room is minimal, and you cant be serious with it with THIS diffuser. in fact, the Xeno diffuser does a little better job in this application. While the total light output is the same, the Xeno's radial distribution (evenly in the room) is more useful to the eye because of the higher intensity at your point in space. To cut it short, the white Fenix diffuser tip is inferior to the other 2 diffusers with regard to serious applications, and therefore i cant recommend its purchase or application.

There are more Fenix diffusers (e.g. the cap and lenses and traffic cones) which fit the Xeno head, but the above 2 diffusers cover already most possible serious applications like close-up work jobs or walking through rooms.
    Last edited by shelm; 02-23-2012 at 04:55 AM.

the white Fenix diffuser tip ... in fact, the Xeno diffuser does a little better job in this application. While the total light output is the same, the Xeno's radial distribution (evenly in the room) is more useful to the eye because of the higher intensity at your point in space. To cut it short, the white Fenix diffuser tip is inferior to the other 2 diffusers with regard to serious applications, and therefore i cant recommend its purchase or application.
    I would agree with this assessment. I am not a big fan of the flip-up Fenix lens diffuser/filter, or the large white diffuser wand.

For a good diffused beam for walking outdoors at night (or lighting up the back yard, etc.), I like a proper diffuser right-over the lens (e.g. the screw-on diffusers that replace bezel rings on a number of Eagletac lights). Olight sells a decent diffuser in a rubber cap that will fit over most lights, but it may not be as snug as you might like (depending on the make and model).

The Xeno white diffuser wand does a better job than the Fenix wand (which I find still lets too much light out the round tip of the wand). The Xeno wand seems to give a more even glow, and is good for use as a wide-source illumination tool for close-up work.

Fenix does make an interesting lantern-style clip-on diffuser. That one is pretty neat, as it turns any appropriately sized AA light into a quasi-lantern like pattern.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: ZeroHour XD.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

This really helps me a lot. Thanks for the feedback guys! Can't wait to get one.

Last edited by Fulaeetoy; 02-23-2012 at 08:48 AM.

*FOR* i found out, my long term observation, that the Xeno E03 gets dimmer and dimmer after long term usage and at one point the light would begin to flicker, which is more easily observed with Eneloops than with 14500. The flickering is, obviously, not a problem of the driver but of a dodgy contact in the tailcap and the cheap switch.

Why the contact begins to get dodgy .. i dunno.

So i disassembled the tailcap .. very nice construction (CAD) , just the used parts like the loose thin spring (why not a thicker spring?) and the cheap switch (spare switch), and the black plastic (why not aluminum?) *are* cheap. and cleaned the threads, surfaces, contact points etc with a Q-tip and alcohol.

Actually i was a little shocked to see that the tailcap was quite dirty (manufacturing debris and other stuff) so i thought that cleaning everything would help. I reassembled everything with a good feeling and .. no improvement! The light was maybe(?) brighter but the dodgy contact was still there, somewhere: the light was still flickering. maybe a little less, maybe not. but it was still a little flickery and annoying enough!

Then i disassembled the tailcap again, and now i knew that it had to be the clicky (after testing the spare clicky -- which was the proof. no more flickering!) and not the manufacturing debris or dirty threads. Yes the clicky itself (and that's why we got a spare one!!) *is* the problem. So i went to the garage, fetched the WD-20 (or was it WD-40 lol?) and bathed the plasticky clicky in it. As bathing container i employed the plastic cap of a plastic water bottle. Pure WD-??, undiluted. Bathing and pressing the clicky 100x so that the WD-?? would penetrate the interior of the cheapo clicky.. which it did (mini air bubbles exiting .. good sign!).

Then i reassembled everything (without drying/cleaning the clicky) 'as is' and .. tarah the light functions as new: full brightness (yay!!), and no more flickering. Problem solved. For now. Until the clicky gets flickery again after a few weeks.

Well, we still get flickering when we press the switch veeery slowly, e.g. the light is on Hi (full press) and we change to Lo (half press) veeeery slowly. It's the physical mechanism (called contact resistance) inside the cheap clicky which causes a "dodgy contact" when we slowly/slightly half-press the switch: there is nothing we could do about it (since it's mechanics/physics) unless we bath the clicky in Deoxit Gold (or other "lubes" which enhance electrical connections).. but Deoxit Gold isnt liquid enough and it would hardly penetrate the clicky thru the slits.

The best way to avoid flickering is by tapping the switch fast and decidedly, and this will work with a maintained old switch (WD-??, or Deoxit Gold-like lube) or with the provided brand-new switch.

Again, why the contact (inside the cheap clicky) begins to get dodgy .. i dunno. the clicky (spare clicky) itself is a closed unit and how would dust or debris penetrate thru its side slits? i assume it's rather due to wear and tear and oxidation of the inner clicky contact points, plus maybe some dust.

People complained about the cheap feeling switch and the cheap materials (spring, black plastic) used. I dont mind the cheap feel. More do i mind the flickering which will/would reoccur after some time of normal usage, and if you dont use Deoxit Gold-like stuff, the flickering will occur after a while. The switch doesnt fail, but the light flickers. Or try the following: On Hi-mode (Eneloops) slightly quarter-press the switch *without* changing modes (to Lo-mode). The light begins to flicker! Why? Because you are creating yourself a dodgy contact inside the clicky switch. Conclusion: dont do it, you're gonna annoy yourself!

The annoying problem was/is that the light itself begins to flicker after a while, and not because of you fooling around with the switch (quarter-presses, ..).

And that's presumably exactly the reason why Xeno included a spare clicky. Not because the clicky could break (please, how?? -- the Xeno is like a tank, and the tailcap construction (CAD) is like a tank too) but because the light begins to flicker after a while (AND GETS DIMMER!). Change the clicky and you get back full brightness and the flickering is gone.

Hope this info helps!

(FOR = FOR our records )
    Last edited by shelm; 03-24-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    I have two WW and two NW. Yes; the WW is VERY warm and I understand what you mean. For some circumstances I find this very warm tint to be nice, however. Especially when I use the lights for cosy lightning at home. Then I get a feeling of candlelight, which can be nice. But I think WW can be good also for example out in the wilderness, with much of green and brown colors. I find color rendition to be very high on my WW options.

First I got the WWs, and because I liked the lights so much I then ordered NW.
    I just want to say: go for the NW! It's totally different than WW, but still WAY from nasty bluish cool tint. My two NW examples have a very white and nice tint.

Regards, Patric
    as a bit of an update, thanks to you I've finally ordered a WW E03. It took a while for me to get around to submitting my order for one because I had been buying other lights, but this will be my FIRST warm white LED purchase ever. I may have to post beamshots to see if it's representative of most WW LEDs, because, as I mentioned, I've never had anything other than CW and NW (NW to a lesser degree).

I love the NW of my MC-E in my Quark RGB and the NW of my XM-L E03s, so hopefully the WW on the XM-L will be nice! thanks everyone, and especially Swedpat!

the NW in my Quark RGB (MC-E) is sooooooooo nice and doesn't even begin to blow out colors. i guess cuz it's a low(er) power emitter or something? I need to compare my NW E03 and NW RGB next to each other though.

edit: warm white in a red body
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Hi selfbuilt I used the URL link from your graph to help someone in deciding what AA lights to get. I gave you credit for the graph if you want me to take it down or anything let me know. Thanks again for doing all this work I find your reviews really help me decide what lights are for me.
    Last edited by ToyTank; 04-21-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyTank View Post
    I selfbuilt I used the URL link from your graph to help someone in deciding what AA lights to get. I gave you credit for the graph if you want me to take it down or anything let me know. Thanks again for doing all this work I find your reviews really help me decide what lights are for me.
    Thanks for letting me know. No problem to use the image with appropriate attribution, but I would also appreciate it if you provide a direct link to the main review at the same time (that way, people can look up the rest of the background and the method I use).

P.S.: The E03 does not use PWM - the light is current-controlled. If there is any sign of "flickering" it is due to a contact, circuit, or switch issue.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 04-20-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: ZeroHour XD.

anyone have a pic of the switch disassembled? i still have yet to have problems with the clicky, but i'm curious how many parts are in the switch

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    anyone have a pic of the switch disassembled? i still have yet to have problems with the clicky, but i'm curious how many parts are in the switch
    check the included accessories, it has a spare switch (clicky)
    sent form my ipohn using Tapatalk

On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.

check the included accessories, it has a spare switch (clicky)
    sent form my ipohn using Tapatalk
    I used a tail boot that I got with my Klarus ST20. The inside of it has slightly more room, so that the silicon is not directly touching/interacting with the clicky. Unfortunately, the boot cover is not GITD, but it does match the light somewhat, albeit a bit slimmer. The extra space in the boot basically keeps me from "flickering" the light whenever I slowly press it. (By the way, this was one of the reasons that I wanted to convert to a forward switch; with a forward, you don't have a change modes in operation feature, which pretty much gets rid of the flickering). Other things you could do is to try and clean up the insides of the clicky switch, but make sure you don't break it.

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    I just took mine apart I should have taken a photo.

The plastic threaded retainer was a bit tough to get out. The holes are to small for the fork I normally use. I used 2 soldering picks in the little holes to thread it out.

There was just the retainer, a spring, and the switch itself. I soaked the switch (not whole tail-cap) In WD40 and clicked it a bunch of times it for now fixed my flickering issue.
    EDC+ is sending me a new switch also which is absolutely top notch service(I wanted to buy a replacement switch, he offered to send me one free and recommended the WD40)

I think the switch was definitively a weak link in this light. I'm sure it was a compromise to reach the low MSRP.

now that ive been an owner for half a year (and the popularity of this cpf thread lead me to buying it!!) here my thoughts. nobody asked for it but i am good.

- i dont mind the flickering issue when the light is ON because i solved the problem with the WD40 bath. tapping the switch in a decided manner helps too: no more flickering! slowly pressing the switch (for what reason please?) will cause flickering .. because *you* are causing then the flickering literally and mechanically. lol
    - the fenix ld20 pocket clip has scratched the red anodization. i use the clip for bezel up carry (attached to pocket or to baseball cap; works beautifully)
    - everything of the tail switch is apparently cheap: the black plastic retainer, the ridiculous weak spring, and the el cheapo clicky. i do like the black rubber boot and tailstand capability. and that all fenix ld20 21.5mm addon's (diffusers, ..) fit.
    - i didnt like the creamy-yellowish tint of the XML T5 NW. but after 6 months i like it fwiw. all my other lights are pure white or coolwhite so having 1 light which is warm.. yah why not.
    - i am missing mode memory.
    - tactical momentary on isnt possible with this light because activation is used to progress in the mode sequence. one would need a twisty head to incorporate tactical momentary on.
    - the light is waterproof. 10m. thanks to the 2-part system (tail + tube) and double o-rings.
    - the brightness is not stabilized on High-mode. no matter with Eneloops or 14500. similar to iTP A3 which isnt stabilized on High-mode either. here's room for improvement.
    - my 1xAAA lights with 10440 beat the Xeno E03 on Eneloops in brightness and also in lumen-minutes.

the biggest gripe i got .. and only after using the E03 for 6 months i am realizing this:
    - on 14500 you dont get any serious runtimes. for serious illumination tasks (e.g. illuminating a chess board for the duration of a chess match) the E03 is a big fail. On Med-mode@14500 we get max. 60mins from the E03, whereas on Hi-mode@14500 i get 120mins from the Quark X. The Quark is a serious flashlight for serious tasks. Easily. I cant say this about the E03, sorry. In RL situations when i have to pick a compact light for a serious task (e.g. cleaning the house) i have stopped picking the E03. The runtimes (and lumen-minutes) are simply too disappointing. Eats 14500's like there is no tomorrow.

the E03 XML is a truely inefficient light. for EDC situations not a big deal, for serious lighting tasks a nogo. For the latter you'll long for a more efficient flashlight (Fenix LD20 or Quark; they are more expensive but.. )

+1, shelm. I still carry it around for just in case somebody's lost something indoors, a quick burst of light here and there tend to be sufficient for lighting a room. Unfortunately for me, the lights get plenty uncomfortably warm even on eneloops on high, so quick bursts here and there with that as well. My WW e03 is now a backup to my NW e03 is a backup to my jetbeam pc10 is a backup to my klarus ST20. Although it doesn't serve much of a purpose anymore except for quick interior lighting, the e03 is still a solidly built light

@tobrien, I'll PM you a link to my flickr so you can check out some pics of the tailcap disassembled.

the biggest gripe i got .. and only after using the E03 for 6 months i am realizing this: - on 14500 you dont get any serious runtimes. for serious illumination tasks (e.g. illuminating a chess board for the duration of a chess match) the E03 is a big fail. On Med-mode@14500 we get max. 60mins from the E03, whereas on Hi-mode@14500 i get 120mins from the Quark X. The Quark is a serious flashlight for serious tasks. Easily. I cant say this about the E03, sorry. In RL situations when i have to pick a compact light for a serious task (e.g. cleaning the house) i have stopped picking the E03. The runtimes (and lumen-minutes) are simply too disappointing. Eats 14500's like there is no tomorrow. the E03 XML is a truely inefficient light. for EDC situations not a big deal, for serious lighting tasks a nogo. For the latter you'll long for a more efficient flashlight (Fenix LD20 or Quark; they are more expensive but.. )
    I am not an expert but even though 14500 cells have higher Wh vs Eneloops, I have a feeling that most people shoving them into AA lights like the E03 are not doing it to get longer runtime. I don't know if it's a matter of efficiency or not but it's obvious that the extra Wh in the 14500 is being converted into more lumens. Feel free to complain about runtimes of a 1xAA light when put against a 2xAA light though. As for lighting up a serious chess match, I don't see why you would need 300-400 lumens for that (or for anything inside the house for that matter).

now that ive been an owner for half a year (and the popularity of this cpf thread lead me to buying it!!) here my thoughts. nobody asked for it but i am good.
    I totally agree with you except for the tint, that creamy nw is awesome for me no way to replace the elcheapo tail click? Also, where can I find a clip for this light in eu?

Tapatalk @Xperia Arc S
    here are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

I recently bought a Xeno E03 and for the price... I think it is a great light for around the house or yard, but I would not rely on it for serious camping or canoeing outings, etc. I have no reason to say this other than from research and others' statements - and the fact that many other of my lights cost a fair amount more and strike me as being more reliable and tough in general.

But, I have to admit that I do like the "look" of this light (I got the deep sea blue or whatever) and the GITD O-ring at the bezel is neat as well as the GITD switch boot. It's very aesthetically appealing after acquiring so many black on black on black flashlights!

I also have to admit that I have been very curious to see one of these single AA lights that supposedly nearly quadruples its output when you put in a 14500 in action! I got to do this last night for the very first time after receiving my EagleTac 750mAh 14500's. Man! There was absolutely NO exaggeration in terms of what this light could do on a 14500 (output that is - no idea about runtime... lol).

Yeah, like tickled said, I wasn't looking for runtimes. I was just interested in flat out WOW factor from a rather inexpensive light. But really.... WOW!

Bottom line, I love this light. I know what it is and I understand what it isn't - I have other lights for that.
    EagleTac D25C S2; P20A2 MKII S2; P100C2 Q5; Fenix TK21 U2; LD01 R4; E05 R2; E01
    JETBeam BC10 R5; Romisen RC-G2 II NW; RC-T601 II U2; Inova X5
    Xeno E03; Zebralight SC600; Crelant 7G5-V2 U2; 4Sevens Quark Tactical 123^2 R5

the biggest gripe i got .. and only after using the E03 for 6 months i am realizing this:
    - on 14500 you dont get any serious runtimes. for serious illumination tasks (e.g. illuminating a chess board for the duration of a chess match) the E03 is a big fail. On Med-mode@14500 we get max. 60mins from the E03, whereas on Hi-mode@14500 i get 120mins from the Quark X. The Quark is a serious flashlight for serious tasks. Easily. I cant say this about the E03, sorry. In RL situations when i have to pick a compact light for a serious task (e.g. cleaning the house) i have stopped picking the E03. The runtimes (and lumen-minutes) are simply too disappointing. Eats 14500's like there is no tomorrow.

the E03 XML is a truely inefficient light. for EDC situations not a big deal, for serious lighting tasks a nogo. For the latter you'll long for a more efficient flashlight (Fenix LD20 or Quark; they are more expensive but.. )
    The E03 defiantly isn't perfect, and might not be suitable for every situation, but there are a few things to keep in mind. First off, the E03's driver was never designed for 14500 3.7v cells. The driver was designed for AA and Lifepo4 cells. Running it on high mode initially basically direct drives the light. If you want more runtime, simply use a AA or Lifepo4 cell. I believe people that run them off 14500's are doing this because of the sheer output from this light. There are very few (if any) 14500 lights that put out over 400 Lumens on high mode. It's a pocket rocket! Also the E03 low mode, on 14500 has fairly decent runtime of a couple hours or so. I'm not sure what to make of your last comment about it being inefficient. When using a 14500 cell and direct driving it, its going to be MORE efficient, because its essentially bypassing part of the driver, and a higher % of power is going to the LED.

Quote Originally Posted by tickled View Post
    I am not an expert but even though 14500 cells have higher Wh vs Eneloops, I have a feeling that most people shoving them into AA lights like the E03 are not doing it to get longer runtime. I don't know if it's a matter of efficiency or not but it's obvious that the extra Wh in the 14500 is being converted into more lumens.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by jasonck08; 05-09-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Just to clarify the above issue, there is no problem with the relative "efficiency" of the E03 on Li-ion. As you will see in my runtimes, it's runtime performance is generally comparable to the Thrunite 1C, when matched at equivalent output levels.

The real issue is the fact that the output is a lot higher on Li-ion, at all levels. Basically, the E03 Lo mode on Li-ion is almost as bright as the Hi mode on Eneloop! Or to compare to the Thrunite 1C, both on Li-ion: the E03's Lo mode matches the 1C's Med mode, the E03 Med mode is in-between the 1C's Hi and Turbo modes, and the E03's Hi mode exceeds the 1C's Turbo.

So the problem is that absolute runtime will suffer on Li-ion, because you no longer have the equivalent of the Lo/Med modes available to standard batteries. But the relative efficiency of the E03 hasn't changed.

In my view, the E03 isn't well suited to Li-ion use, unless you don't mind loosing the true Lo/Med modes. Of course, it would fit the bill if you are looking for a high-output pocket rocket.

good discussion, good points made. .. if people are aware of the real runtimes on Eneloops and on 14500's before they purchase it, then the buyer wont be disappointed. I wasnt disappointed. Just saying that we get higher "lumen-minutes" (suitable for chess matches) from leading torches such as Zebralight, Quark or Fenix. The concept of lumen-minutes can be used to measure efficiency. And in this regard the E03 XML is inefficient .. compared with these 3 brands at comparable output levels.

in this post i only wanted to add (NEWS!) : my light has started flickering again. *sigh* When did i last do the WD40 bath? sorry cant remember. when i do the WD40 bath, i'll update this post and note down the date for reference purposes. Didnt i even report about my first WD40 bath in this thread? Wasnt too long ago. 2 months max, my guesstimate.

looking forward to improved versions of the Xeno E03!

CFS, Chronic Flicker Syndrome Bathe it well lol...make sure you get it behind the ears again and every nook and cranny!

Just saying that we get higher "lumen-minutes" (suitable for chess matches) from leading torches such as Zebralight, Quark or Fenix. The concept of lumen-minutes can be used to measure efficiency. And in this regard the E03 XML is inefficient .. compared with these 3 brands at comparable output levels.
    Sorry, but that contradicts the data. Below are runtimes just for those lights, on 14500:

As you can see, the "lumen-minutes" efficiency is pretty much identical between the E03 XM-L and those lights, when run at comparable output levels, as you say.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, but that is what most people mean by relative efficiency - when directly comparing the lights at the same comparable outputs. In this case, the lights have the same runtime.

It is true that most of those other lights have lower output levels, and can therefore last a lot longer (at lower output). Running at lower output is a more efficient use of one's limited battery capacity - and that's true for any light. This is why I would like to see a lower Lo on E03, personally.

in this post i only wanted to add (NEWS!) : my light has started flickering again. *sigh* When did i last do the WD40 bath? sorry cant remember. when i do the WD40 bath, i'll update this post and note down the date for reference purposes. Didnt i even report about my first WD40 bath in this thread? Wasnt too long ago. 2 months max, my guesstimate.
    I had been looking forward to buying an E03. But this flickering issue and resolving it sounds like exasperating, grating, and tedious. Now I'm leaning toward not purchasing it.

Does the Xeno E15 [AAx2] have a better switch that is less prone to this issue ? I tried to search for information on this forum, and I could only find two reviews: (link #1) , (link #2). I didn't know about the E15 until I saw it mentioned in the ongoing E03 thread in the dealers section at the cpfmarketplace forum.
    Last edited by MojaveMoon07; 05-10-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MojaveMoon07 View Post
    this flickering issue and resolving it sounds like exasperating, grating, and tedious.
    it is if you dont have tweezers or WD40. but .. no other EDC light is 99.9% perfect. I am thinking that the Quark X (1x14500 food) comes close to "perfect" in terms of versatility and features. But my Quark sample is very greenish on Lo, Med, Hi, Moonlight, and Turbo (Max) and i only like it for shining it on green grass (because then the grass explodes in juicy green coloration to my optical perception).

there is always a notable downside to a light. on the upside, why the E03 continues to be popular: it's one of the few sub 30$ 1xAA lights with XML (For the Quark one needs to buy the 2xAA XML version!) plus color choice (red, blue, black), emitter choice (XPG, XML) and tint choice (CW, NW, WW). no other manufacturer is able to offer such a variety for the same model: E03.

Thank you

About how long has each of these two "de-flickerings" taken you (time for tweezers to dissamble plus time for bathing with WD-40) ?
    Last edited by MojaveMoon07; 05-15-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MojaveMoon07 View Post
    I had been looking forward to buying an E03. But this flickering issue and resolving it sounds like exasperating, grating, and tedious. Now I'm leaning toward not purchasing it.

Does the Xeno E15 [AAx2] have a better switch that is less prone to this issue ? I tried to search for information on this forum, and I could only find two reviews: (link #1) , (link #2). I didn't know about the E15 until I saw it mentioned in the ongoing E03 thread in the dealers section at the cpfmarketplace forum.
    E15 uses the same switch. It still is kind of mind boggling to hear of some of the issues people are having with the switches. I have about 6 of these E03's for the past 1-2 years or so, and I've not had a problem with any of the switches, or any other component for that matter. Now granted these don't see a ton of use given my large light collection but still... Makes me wonder what the contributing factors are? Lots of clicks cause it to fail? High humidity environment, or dirt getting in the switch somehow? The spring wearing down and not allowing firm electrical contact inside the switch assembly? Not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonck08 View Post
    E15 uses the same switch. It still is kind of mind boggling to hear of some of the issues people are having with the switches. I have about 6 of these E03's for the past 1-2 years or so, and I've not had a problem with any of the switches, or any other component for that matter. Now granted these don't see a ton of use given my large light collection but still... Makes me wonder what the contributing factors are? Lots of clicks cause it to fail? High humidity environment, or dirt getting in the switch somehow? The spring wearing down and not allowing firm electrical contact inside the switch assembly? Not sure...
    same here, I've gifted quite a few E03s as well and might have kept some for me too (lol) and no issues on any of them.

I just bought one in the blue, neutral flavor and love it! On 14500's it's a little beast with massivde output! However the low is still pretty bright on these. Not that it's a problem, just wished there was better spacing. On regular lithiums though the levels are lower and better spaced. I'll plan to carry mine with the 14500's though for the shear fun factor of massive lument OTF! Overall I'm impressed with this light given the low cost of it for all that it offers!

two thumbs up for this one!
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...A-size-battery this i gues will be a good solution for plp who dont want to use 14500s