Foxfury Rook
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: reliable leave in the car light?

Default Re: reliable leave in the car light?

I leave a square 9 volt Eveready with a handle to carry that beast around. The lens sucks but it has good staying power.

Princeton Tec EOS headlamp loaded with three lithium AAA cells.

Although any decent quality, truly water-resistant, headlamp with a bright setting will do.

When it comes to lights kept in cars, the most likely use will be checking under the hood or changing a flat tire. Not the types of jobs best performed with only one hand. A headlamp gives you light while allowing use of both hands.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Princeton Tec EOS headlamp loaded with three lithium AAA cells.

Although any decent quality, truly water-resistant, headlamp with a bright setting will do.

When it comes to lights kept in cars, the most likely use will be checking under the hood or changing a flat tire. Not the types of jobs best performed with only one hand. A headlamp gives you light while allowing use of both hands.
    Hey Monocrom... excellent points!
    "Be kind... everyone you encounter in life is fighting battles you have no awareness of."

Thank you. I appreciate that.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

G2L w/ M61WLL and 12 cr123's (2 are in the light), plus a xeno diffusor. 120 hours of full output runtime. Just need to get a delrin tail shroud so it will tail stand.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by duboost View Post
    G2L w/ M61WLL and 12 cr123's (2 are in the light), plus a xeno diffusor. 120 hours of full output runtime.
    Please let us know where you park your car

What Monocrom said, but the 3xAAA format is for suckers, mmmkay.

I suggest a Zebralight H31Fw headlamp with a primary lithium CR123 and few (thousand ) spare batteries. You'll want something floody, and the improved color rendering of the warm model can't hurt.
    Fenix LD01 (XP-E R2), Fenix LD20 (XR-E Q5), Olight M20S (XP-G R5), Jetbeam RRT-0 (XP-G R5), Maelstrom G5 (XP-G R5), Maelstrom X7 (XM-L T6), Wolf-Eyes Krait (XM-L T6), Mag 4D/6D (incan), Mini Mag 2AA (incan), Photon Proton Pro UV, Mammut Lucido TXlite

Just a for this thread for folks who didn't see it the first time around.
    One of the better 'Car Flashlight' threads IMO.

Best regards,
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Flashaholic*

I wouldn't recommend any Alkaline flashlights. I would recommend NiMH or protected lithium lights. Leave a Alkaline light in your car and you'll end up like me--a light fused onto the glove box...Not a pretty sight when them batteries leak really bad.

Know that when you leave a light in a car, it spends countless hours there without you tending it. Keep that as a factor.

In terms of an actual light, go with a multi-stage light ranging from 1 lumen to 500 lumen--in case you need to direct oncoming traffic. Everyone has a personal preference and I cannot recommend which kind to get. I just like the P60 design for this type of purpose.

This is a nice thread. Great bump to revive it.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, if you're only going to be using your flashlight sparingly, then be sure to keep lithium primary batteries in your lights. You should have a few with you ... it's better to have a few cheapy backups than one expensive flashlights. I would get:

1. Headlamp - as others have mentioned, being able to free your hands to work is probably the most important.

2. Inova 24/7 or something similar - clip the light onto yourself. You can get the Inova 24/7 or one of those LED slow blinking lights that runners use. In case you're changing your tires in the dark, other drivers can see you.

3. Something inexpensive such as CountyComm's stretchlite: http://countycomm.com/stretchlite.html. I have one of these in my car. I can't say whether it's durable or not because I've only used it in non intense situation and I've never dropped it or anything. I just like the fact that I can easily convert tihs into a lantern. It's only $12, so if it breaks, I don't really care for it.

Flashaholic*

a flashlight is gonna mostly be reliable, but the cells matter most

here is the one of THE most reliable cells available on the planet

Panasonic br 2/3 assp Lithium Primary
    Lithium Polycarbon Monofluoride

http://cellpacksolutions.com/Search_...asp?ID=BR-2/3A

get CR123 sized. these things are rated to be used on spacecraft and missile systems, have a high heat
    rating (85C) (185F) they can bake in a car for 12 years of summers and not give one damn and they
    will not leak, ever, unless you intentionally damage it. roasting in a car will not harm them one whit.
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-29-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    posted by jh333233
    Dont cheat me, im expert in using crap light

I picked up a couple of ICON 1AA Rouges from Woot last month @$10 USD each. My son got one and the other went to the car. I EDC a ProTac EMS so I probably don't really need a car light, but 'One is none, and two is one.' Besides, I live by the motto 'Paranoia is a useful trait!', and Murphy's corollary "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time!".
    We're not Mad Scientists! We're just overly enthusiastic!

Enlightened

Seriously, for a car 'use' which means the flashlight will hardly get any real use until and unless you're in some kind of trouble changing your tyres or stuff like that, I think some cheap ebay ones AA format with one/two lithium batteries in your car boot will do. Just do not load the cells in the flashlight and put it in when needed.

It would not make sense (well unless you have the funds) to keep a great flashlight that will sit 99.9% of the time.
    Its a 'set and forget' thing ;-)

Of course, you must remember that when you need a light it will probably be an emergency, so a reliable light is important. I carry three lights in my car: a LED Lenser H7 headlamp, Rayovac 2AA Indestructible and SureFire Fury. The H7 is for changing tires, etc., the Indestructible is in case I need to hand off a light in an emergency I won't worry about getting it back, and the Fury is for when I need a really bright light. I hope I don't have so many emergencies that I use these often, but they may save a life someday.

Plus, I like flashlights! Isnít that reason enough?
    "It used to be 'Merkwuerdigliebe'"

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Korgath View Post
    Seriously, for a car 'use' which means the flashlight will hardly get any real use until and unless you're in some kind of trouble changing your tyres or stuff like that, I think some cheap ebay ones AA format with one/two lithium batteries in your car boot will do. Just do not load the cells in the flashlight and put it in when needed.

It would not make sense (well unless you have the funds) to keep a great flashlight that will sit 99.9% of the time.
    I pack a Novatac Storm always loaded in the 4runner ready to go, and a spare cr123

also a Thrunite TN11 with 4xcr123 and 4xcr123 spares in my econocar

I have been in a vehicle that has rolled over, and when you are upside down in a ditch
    you want to be able to grab for your light and not deal with also finding a battery for it.

when the s**t goes down and you need that light, it is best if it is loaded with cells
    posted by jh333233
    Dont cheat me, im expert in using crap light

I've done a bit of fine-tuning from my original 'dual-fuel' (AA & CR123) configuration back in post # 65:
    • A pair of SF C3's (one containing 2xAA NiMH LSD, one containing 1xCR123 & a two-cell spacer) - everything now has a backup, being 100% interchangeable
    • Additional spare CR123's
    • A 1xCR123 extender to change the 6Z (my center console 'handy' light, not shown here) into a three-cell body for additional compatiblity with the components of this kit.

As before, everything is configured for 2.4v / 2.5v, so all the LED dropins are compatible with all three SureFire bodies which are compatible with the two different cell chemistry configurations (2xAA NiMH LSD & 1xCR123). Furthermore, everything can run from 2xAA Alkalines if I'm away from home and need replenishment.

15+ hours @ 240+ lumens, or ~1500+ hours @ ~2 lumens, two single-mode lights of the highest reliability with complete redundancy, interoperability, and component interchangeability.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 08-30-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Korgath View Post

Um, I can't think of any situation where a "cheap eBay AA light" will do. Especially not in an emergency. You sound more like my girlfriend than a flashaholic!
    The Captains lights
    + PLEASE PM ME IF YOU SEE BROKEN PICS. IM TRYING TO FIX THEM. +

I keep two each in my car and my truck, a G2 with a Malkoff 61LLL with primaries for a nice emergency light that will last forever, mine just happen to be 219's because i like the color balance, and a brighter light for tactical purposes for SHTF issues, that varies depending on the flavor of the day. That one usually does not sit in the truck but travels with me.

T

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I've done a bit of fine-tuning from my original 'dual-fuel' (AA & CR123) configuration back in post # 65:
    • A pair of SF C3's (one containing 2xAA NiMH LSD, one containing 1xCR123 & a two-cell spacer) - everything now has a backup, being 100% interchangeable
    • Additional spare CR123's
    • A 1xCR123 extender to change the 6Z (my center console 'handy' light, not shown here) into a three-cell body for additional compatiblity with the components of this kit.

As before, everything is configured for 2.4v / 2.5v, so all the LED dropins are compatible with all three SureFire bodies which are compatible with the two different cell chemistry configurations (2xAA NiMH LSD & 1xCR123). Furthermore, everything can run from 2xAA Alkalines if I'm away from home and need replenishment.

15+ hours @ 240+ lumens, or ~1500+ hours @ ~2 lumens, two single-mode lights of the highest reliability with complete redundancy, interoperability, and component interchangeability.
    Still the best overall set-up I have seen Kestrel Just a great kit for car or home! I can't bring myself to leave anything that nice in my cars though.......someone recently swiped my 2D Mag w/Magled out of my truck .Glad I removed the G2 that I was keeping in it! They didn't bother taking the 2AA Energizer Industrial w/Dorcy LED drop-in and it was in plain sight so I think I will stick with the cheap reliable lights for now.There is a G2/Malkoff M61NLL in my work bag that is with me most of the time so I feel pretty well equipped but I might try and add a one cell extender for the G2 so I can use 2AAs in a pinch.
    Last edited by ZMZ67; 08-31-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Flashaholic*

Take it from someone who's been there/done that, roadside emergencies very often require a lot of lumens. Remember, you are not only trying to see but also to be seen. Most drivers on the road are airheads at best. I won't trust a light that cannot produce at least 200 lumens if I need it. A multi-level light works great and there are a lot of choices so you need not break the bank.

Lithium batteries are the only way to go in my opinion. Even low self discharge batteries will run down over time -- they're a lot better than standared NiMH but still I wouldn't trust them in the heat and cold from being left in the car for possibly years.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

Quote Originally Posted by chmsam View Post
    Lithium batteries are the only way to go in my opinion. Even low self discharge batteries will run down over time -- they're a lot better than standared NiMH but still I wouldn't trust them in the heat and cold from being left in the car for possibly years.
    I respectfully disagree about LSD NiMH - I can't completely trust the Lithiums I have as they've never been tested. There is a chance (albeit very small) they are defective and will peter out after a few hundred MAh.

However, I have done 1-2 full runs with the rebranded Eneloops in my kit - I know they work to their stated capacity, and I will top them off every few years. A top quality Lithium cell is very reliable, however I can state with 100% certainty that my Duraloops will work to their stated capacity as they have already tested as such.

(In fact, their LSD property has also been tested - these cells were the 'Shnoopaloops' that were in storage for three years prior to being sold. These particular cells tested out at ~75% of initial capacity - spot-on for what their charge state should have been after three years in storage.)

At any rate, I do understand the debate and can see both sides of the issue. I did build a kit to include & utilize both battery chemistries to cover both angles.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 08-31-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    - Winston Churchill

+1 for the SF G2 - my wife has one in her glove compartment
    my car has a bunch of lights.
    Everyday it has a Narva branded rechargeable in the cigar lighter
    an Inova T3 (locked out) and SF6P/KL3 (locked out) in the glovebox
    in the toolbox under the seat is an orange Eflare and a cheap arlec 6x 5mm led which neatly clips under the hood if i need to work on the car at night
    it also makes a cheap loaner light

Most days there is also a pelican case in the boot with a Maxabeam and SF L2 (the car will soon have 12v sockets for the maxabeam - i have a 25ft power cable for it)
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

Somehow even in this world of amazing lights, I keep going back to my old Mag. I Keep my 6 D-cell in the back of the Jeep. Works every time. It's huge, bulky, and awkward but it works and has an insane battery life. However, it's probably not the best choice unless you have a pickup or you don't mind keeping it in the trunk.

I keep my 3d LED Maglite in my car, I seem to change the batteries out about once a year. I've had it for about 4 years now I think, it's always been there and worked for me when I needed it.

G2L w/ M61WLL and 12 cr123's (2 are in the light), plus a xeno diffusor. 120 hours of full output runtime. Just need to get a delrin tail shroud so it will tail stand.

What kind of case is that? I assume you had to cut the foam yourself?

I keep a 6P LED and a box of Primaries in my glovebox, but this case is too sweet to ignore.

Kestrel,
    thanks for bumping this. excellent thread! been thinking about this a lot lately.
    I, unfortunately, am in the camp the believes the light should be inexpensive. i'd have trouble spending a lot (that's>$50 to me) for a light i'm likely to use once every two years. With my wife and kids, i'm more likely to lose this light then use it.
    I'm trying to find a shingingbeam light (a romison) I think i'd like a single AA light (i'd put a lithium in it, but could buy alkalines in a pinch). I had one picked then realized I definitely want a strobe function of some kind.
    does anyone have suggestions from the shiningbeam line up?
    funny - i'm sitting here holding a Princeton tech head lamp with 3 levels and a strobe (might be perfect, but then i wouldn't get to buy a new light) - i'll throw this in a car too.

Hi John, what kind of battery are you using for the flashlight? if it is the dry cell, you better take it out of the flashlight when you dont need to use them. If not, you should recharge them oftenly. That's my personal opinion.

I keep a Surefire G2 and an Inova 24/7 in my cars, and they have always worked when I needed them.

Now that is one nice setup!!

Flashaholic*

Slightly off- topic but a cheap and handy accessory for any car flashlight is a Nite Ize Gear Tie. It's a bendable rubber-coated wire that can be twisted into various shapes, e.g., a hanger to suspend a flashlight when working under the hood, a stand to point a flashlight at an angle while changing a tire, etc. I leave a headlamp in the car but I also have a couple of 24" Gear Ties to use with whatever other flashlights I happen to have with me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast