Flood Beamshots - Various for Comparison

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took my first ever beamshots last night, trying to determine shape and color of various floody beams (but did not attempt to compare brightness...in fact, I tried to keep lights in comparable ranges of brightness, to highlight beam quality and tint). Since Im looking for lights that help me work with my hands in dark places (most work is within 3 feet of my face), the beamshots are geared toward that application. Canon SLR set to daylight color balance.

The tripod upon which the lights are resting is 3 feet from a white-ish wall (the wall is actually a little to the beige side, so will magnify the yellow/red quality of the beams). The horizontal strip of aluminum on which the lights are resting is 3-1/2 feet wide...so you can get a relative idea of how much beam spread there is, among the various lights.

First, my trusty Zebralight H50 Q5, the champ in terms of lighting the largest area:

beam-h50-sm.jpg

Second, a new Zebralight H501w:

beam-h501w.jpg

Third, an inexpensive Energizer 6 headlamp with the lens modified...lens removed for bead-blasting back and front, to spread the beam more...which worked, it spread the beam from what it was before, by quite a bit. Here it is, post-modification, on its flood setting...what a joke. What flood? (In fact, you can hardly see a difference between this headlamps flood and its spot.) You can see why I dont like working with this light...tunnel vision...although its color rendition is pretty good for an inexpensive light.

beam-energizer-flood-sm.jpg

I've also started carrying a diffused handheld light to get the work area lit. Here is a Fenix L2D Rebel with diffuser in place. Wow, that looks so much more green than I recall; memory makes me think it was more of a peach/yellow than green. But, the evidence says otherwise:

beam-L2D-diffuser-sm.jpg

And recently I purchased this Warm Cree Lantern from Amazon, as another area light option. Now that's what I call warm!

beam-lantern-sm.jpg

You can unscrew the top of the Warm Cree Lantern and use it as a wide beam flashlight, as seen on the left side of this multi-beamshot (L2D diffused in center, H50 on right):

beam-lant-l2d-h50.jpg

And here we have five together, to see the various tints. From L to R, Energizer, H50, L2D, H501w, and Warm Lantern:

beam-five.jpg

Currently I strap one H50 and one H501w onto my helmet when working, and take either the L2D or the Warm Lantern as an area light (choice depending if I think I'll need throw or not--the L2D throws well for the distances I need).

Believe it or not, that extra wide beam on the H50 is really useful...when I use the H501w alone, I can tell it makes me turn my head more to see, than the H50 does. The decrease in peripheral vision is noticeable. With the H50, chances are, whatever you need to see is lit, if its close enough. However the H501w allows me to pick out the various colors of wiring much more easily, and see more subtle color variations (such as water stains on wood) than the H50 does. So the neutral tint of the H501w is well worth it. Having both the H50 and the H501 lit at medium levels gives me a best-of-both-worlds, long-runtime compromise.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reposted here by request.

sidebyside.jpg

Keep in mind these beamshots show more hotspot than what appears to my eye. I guess I used to high of an exposure. The ST5-190NW in particular shows MUCH more hotspot in the beamshot than I see with the naked eye. The same is true for the H51w but less so.

The edges of the beams are more indicative of what's really going on... the outer edges of the ST5 with the frosted lens are the softest, most 'feathered' I guess you could say, and that does give the most flood. Compare to the edge of the beam with the clear lens, and you'll see what I mean.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see any photos in the OP (Bolster's) but do see the pictures in the second post. Does anyone else see photos in the first post?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally my bad. I meant to ask Bowser to post the Spark shots in the Flood Beam Headlamp Thread, but I was not clear. So sorry, the fault is mine.

Regarding all my missing images...I had to switch servers several months ago and in the process lost many of my old images. I don't think I could reproduce these even if my life depended on it, so let's let this thread sink to the bottom. Again, my fault, apologies all around.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha...that's funny and odd. As you can see I responded before Bowser and yet the OP is dated 2/2011. I didn't dig it out of the old threads when I responded it was at the top of the forum for some reason.

Oh well...:)

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Bowz3r have you removed the reflector on your ST5? I did the other day, and talk about flood!
What are the requirements for the flood lamp pictures? I am not working now maybe I can take some pictures of the lamps I have?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bowz3r have you removed the reflector on your ST5? I did the other day, and talk about flood!
What are the requirements for the flood lamp pictures? I am not working now maybe I can take some pictures of the lamps I have?

No... I've considered it, but I honestly don't care for the pure flood beam profile. I prefer the strong center flood that tapers off toward the edge of the beam profile. On the other hand, and again the pics don't accurately represent what I see with the frosted lens, the frosted lens is the closest thing I've got to a pure flood beam profile right now. It is very wide and floody, and for me works very well for more active types of uses. In fact, just last night I decided to make it the dedicated short range light on my bike helmet since it's so floody and even. I'll be using it for off the bike kinds of uses, while my Quark 123^2 XPE(nw) is on the top of my helmet with a two-fish bike block for seeing further down the road.