• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Batteries for a Haiku

noelex

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at ordering some rechargeable batteries for my Haiku, which is on the way.

I know there are sometimes issues with the extra length of protected cells or the button design preventing reliable contact in some flashlights.

I was hoping someone might confirm which batteries do work before I order them.

I am considering both the AW RCR 750 cells and also the AWIMR 550 cells.

I may order some of both. The 750 cells should provide slightly better run time, but I live most of the year on a yacht and the extra safety of the IMR cell is appealing if the runtime is acceptable. I do use the AW protected cells in other flashlights and I think the risk is small, but hundreds of miles from land is not the place to contemplate a fire, hence the interest in the IMR batteries

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
I have sucessfully used both batteries mentioned in my Haiku. As I top up my batteries often I can´t tell you how much longer run time the black 750 has over the red 550. I´ve never had any incidents or troubles with any of my AW 16340 sized batteries but to be one the safe side I would go with the IMRs - just have a couple more charged and ready to go to compensate for the shorter run times.

noelex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply
Some of the replies have been lost in the recent CPF crash, but everyone agreed that all the options seem to work in the Haiku.
Since the original post I have received my Haiku. It really is a beautifully made light.
I went with the IMR cells as you suggested mainly because of the added safety given how I live.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is confusing me? How are the IMR cells more safe than the protected AW RCR's in the Haiku or any light for that matter?

noelex

Newly Enlightened
Protected Li-ion cells can still burn and explode if things go wrong. It happens very rarely and if you take sensible precautions the risk is minimal.
Living on a yacht for much of the year the risk and consequences is slightly greater for me. I do use li-ion batteries, but the safer IMR cells are more attractive.
The fundamental chemistry of IMR cells is safer and as a result of this they are safer than protected Li-ion cells

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
My $.02. Nothing wrong with using either the red or black AW cells. For higher current loads the red cell only, but for the Haiku either will be fine. Running on high you will not notice much of a difference between the two cells. Both run more realistically around ~500mAh under a load of 0.5-1A. For a single cell light using a single red would be fine, but for a 2xRCR123 setup I think it may be safer to use the protected black as it will prevent one cell from being too severely over-discharged.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still awaiting for my Haiku, but with my PD-S, I use mainly the AW's black protected batteries. So far no issues. IMHO the primaries are much better, especially the red Surefires. Much longer runtime but costly. I usually buy them in quantities and keep them for rainy days, but when they have passed the 5th year, I'll use em all up and get another batch and keep. In between I'll be using the rechargeables which are cost effective albeit the reduced runtime.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still awaiting for my Haiku, but with my PD-S, I use mainly the AW's black protected batteries. So far no issues. IMHO the primaries are much better, especially the red Surefires. Much longer runtime but costly. I usually buy them in quantities and keep them for rainy days, but when they have passed the 5th year, I'll use em all up and get another batch and keep. In between I'll be using the rechargeables which are cost effective albeit the reduced runtime.
Just to update.

Don several runtime tests with my Haiku 1x123 BB XP-G and happy to report that I get roughly 38 to 47 minits on high on freshly charged AW black top cells. All batts goes into protection mode due to low voltage and not due to heat issues.

Where heat is concern, the light can be held comfortably even at long periods of usage on high and the heat concentrated more at the head than the batt tube. The fins on the haiku does really dissipate heat much more efficiently compared to my aluminium PD-S. :)

Latest posts