Direct driving an XML on an 18650 lithium. Is this safe?

redfishsc

Newly Enlightened
I have 6 XML's on the way that I ordered just to play with. I'm planning on using ONE of them on a direct-drive (ie, simple) homemade flashlight just for fun, nothing fancy. Basically just a beefy CPU heatsink, a single 18650, and an on/off switch. Not sure of the housing just yet.

I'm normally used to wiring LEDs on a constant current driver for use in a home (120VAC input).

I may order, later on, a constant-current driver. Please feel free to suggest an affordable two or three mode driver that will run this XML at 2400-3000mA.

Now, I have some new 18650 Trustfire batteries. They are protected according to DX.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfi...pack-blue-5790

I realize that I am risking the XML since the voltage of this battery tops out at 4.2. I am willing to risk losing a single XML, one time.

However, I'm not willing to blow my arm off.

What are the risks, speaking in terms of this setup? Do you think 4.2v will ruin the XML? Or do you think that this is too much draw (probably upwards of 5-6 amps) on a lithium?

I actually prefer to direct drive my lights since I prefer them to dwindle slowly. I do a lot of night fishing and would rather the light dwindle as they do when direct driven.

I may, instead, switch to using a different battery that's safer. Any suggestions?

Latest posts