PT 40 bulb question

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
my pt40 has a small hotspot, then small dark circle around it and a thin circle of light, then another larger dark circle then another small circle of light. i have the orange peel reflector. the bulb looks like the culprit. if i switch the bulb can i get a better pattern? which bulb? i'd like to keep the 3 or so hours of light unless it's worth less run time.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I have had the best luck with the 3 cell Maglite Whitestar bulbs. They cost 2.00 for 2 bulbs.. This bulb is very similar to kpr103 which is also a very popular replacement. Walmart has Rayovac kpr103's for $1.50 for 2 bulbs. Hope this helps.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
how do you remove the bulb? i messed with it a little but don't want to mess it up.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unscrew the bezel (black head of the light), remove the lamp and reflector assembly. Gently pry the reflector off the black bottom part. There is 2 small pieces of plastic protruding fron the reflector such that it holds onto the black part, if you press the reflector downwards while the lamp assembly is on the table, you should see it sliding up and down the black part.

Summarized version, just ripped the reflector off from the black bottom part.

grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, i like the summarized version.
grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the walmart by my house didn't have the kpr103, just xpr103. they also had some rayovac bulbs for 2d lights. should i try radio shack?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can try the xpr103, but 50% of time time (some times higher) the bulb just blow. Xenon bulbs don't like overdriving all that much as krypton bulbs. Not that krypton bulbs like overdriving in the first place, but we like overdriving krypton bulbs...
grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the kpr103 going to drop my run time?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:
the walmart by my house didn't have the kpr103, just xpr103. they also had some rayovac bulbs for 2d lights. should i try radio shack?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Radio Shack carries KPR103. Also, your runtime will go down.