My Journey, and where my path should lead...

carnivorouswinds

Newly Enlightened
I do alot of hiking, camping, and various outdoor activities, which all started when i was quite young, doing the Duke of Edinburgh award.

After my first few experiences, i realized that i was missing a very important piece of equipment, a decent torch!

So for christmas my grandma bought me a 2 x AA incandescent mini maglite. I thought this was the bomb. I had never had such a bright torch in all my life.

After a while of this incredible illumination, i bought an $8 3 x AA LED maglite.

I was shocked, and amazed at how bright this was. I loved that torch, it was so useful, and i enjoyed showing it off to my friends, whose feeble torches were drowned in the glory of my maglite. I was sure it was the brightest torch in the world.

But then i started looking...

I liked the look of all the standard torches, nitecore, fenix nextorch etc. So i looked into getting one, but they were so expensive to me (being 17)

Well when i got a job, i went and spent somewhere around £50 on a Fenix pd30 r4 and oh my god, it was spectacular. Ive used this torch for a couple of years now and its been amazing. Small yet powerful.

I could carry it comfortably on my belt, and not notice it, but when i got to camp, and unleashed the something like 270 lumen glory, everyone noticed it.

But the thing is... is it the best torch for my purpose? Is there a better EDC, a more versatile, and maybe brighter torch? Im sometimes quite scared of damaging my precious fenix, so could there be something just as good but more rugged?

I'm sure someone on here can at least point me in the right direction.

Also i would like a bigger, much more powerful torch, as i am now a leader/rescuer, and need a torch that can light up a considerable amount of ground, and be able to last about 12 hours on the batteries at a high power. I cant seem to find any decent ones.

I dont think i can call myself a complete flashaholic yet, but im sure ill never be happy until i have a torch that is so bright it will burn through houses, and be visible if i were to point it at the sun.

Also its much harder to get decent torches, like the above makes here in the uk, than it is in america :(

xxxx

Latest posts