Brightest 3-4" EDC Flashlight?

Z

z_jjoustfrost

Hi guys,

Im currently looking for the brightest 4 and under flashlight (ideally nothing larger than a 1 diameter).

I'm looking at 4 different flashlights (and will take suggestions as well)

Retail:

1. Nitecore Extreme (220lm)

2. 4Sevens MiNiX 123 (210 OTF lm)

Custom:

3. Mac's Tri-EDC (700lm?!)

4. HDS Rotary 200 (200lm)

5. Suggestions?

Knowing that lumen ratings really dont hold any weight in comparing flashlights, I was wondering if people knew which flashlights had the most throw, most flood, most overall brightness, in a 4 or smaller package. I really like the look of crenulated bezels too :p

I know some of these flashlights have a very strong following and it's been making my research a bit difficult so any honest feedback would be very much appreciated :)

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Re: Brightest 3-4" EDC Flashlight?

Zebralight SC60 ?

It might help if you could describe your intended usage and priorities in some detail, as it would help people make better suited recommendations. Also do you want primary or rechargeable batteries ?

dondulah

Newly Enlightened

Zebralight SC60 ?

It might help if you could describe your intended usage and priorities in some detail, as it would help people make better suited recommendations. Also do you want primary or rechargeable batteries ?

Yes, I think the SC60 is brighter than most of the above with a great UI.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, the ZL SC60 is excellent, and was my EDC for a while. I also require my EDC to be 4" or less. I now carry the Quark AA R5 with the regular UI, deep carry clip, tactical switch, and run it on a 14500. The quark is not as bright as the Zebralight, and uses a smaller battery, but I like that it doesn't get switched on in my pocket. My zebralights are great, but I no longer EDC them because of the accidental activation problem...plus I got tired of having to carry the ZL in the locked out position. However, when I need the runtimes of an 18650 battery I carry the ZL SC60 with it in the locked out position.

mrlysle

Enlightened

The ZL SC60w is definitely going to be my next purchase. I recently picked up a Fenix PD31 that runs off 18650, and while it's relatively small and bright, the beam is really ringy. Almost like looking at an old Maglite! I lost all my registration info and flashaholic status in the recent meltdown, but as soon as I can I need to post a shot of my PD31 beam and see if anyone else's looks as bad as mine. Also, you could never go wrong with one of the HDS lights if they ever make it to the shelves!

jjoustfrost

Newly Enlightened

i ended up going with a V10r and a mini cr2 for backup :)

archimedes

Flashaholic

Is price a consideration at all? The lights in your list range from under $50 to over $300.

Lots of difference between Mac's Tri-EDC and a Quark MiNi 123....

rich297

Newly Enlightened

I have a Tri-EDC. Very bright, of course, it's much more a floodlight than a thrower. Two things to be aware of though. Run time is fairly short on high, I think about 15-20 minutes although I've not actually tested it. Also, the interface may not suit you.......it's H-M-L, with no memory. Anytime you turn it on, you start on high. Personally, I prefer L-M-H but nonetheless I think it's a great light.

Tommygun45

Enlightened

+1 on the ZL SC60. Good little light with excellent modes, good for all operation and simple UI. It just doesn't throw all that well. I mean it puts out ~300 lumens and lights up things within 50 yards pretty well but its not designed to throw. For a tiny general use light that runs on an 188650 it's tough to beat.

I have actually legoed some of my Quarks and my new favorite is my 123 turbo head, AA body, and Turbo Tactical tailcap. It throws like a monster, lights up a ton of space, and is about 3 and a half inches long. Runs on a 14500 and its bright as anything I have.
Here it is on my camera phone. It throws quite well outside too. Not sure of run times, but its cool because I can also clip it to my hat, and its got two modes, quark Tac style.
IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

srfreddy

Enlightened

What's a v10r?

An infinitely variable flashlight.

I have a Tri-EDC. Very bright, of course, it's much more a floodlight than a thrower. Two things to be aware of though. Run time is fairly short on high, I think about 15-20 minutes although I've not actually tested it. Also, the interface may not suit you.......it's H-M-L, with no memory. Anytime you turn it on, you start on high. Personally, I prefer L-M-H but nonetheless I think it's a great light.

Well, why would you run it on high that long? The IMR18350's have good capacity.