EAGTAC        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Announcement regarding the species TROLL

Default Announcement regarding the species TROLL

Announcement regarding the species TROLL

When looking at the increasing problems we had over the last months with "destructive" discussions and behaviour, it became apparent that we have reached the point where a new, extended definition of "trolling" would be necessary in order to protect CPF.

From now on, all members displaying a posting history that is governed by an agenda to a point ...
    • where it is annoying for the general membership,
    • where it abuses and disrupts CPF,
    • where it leads to thread closures and loss of information
    • where it constantly spills negtativity or
    • where all posts are so narrow minded and concentrated on one subject that this member has lost all credibility and is thus devaluating the content of CPF
    ... will be treated as trolls with all consequences, most notably the removal of their posting privileges.

This means moderating a person's attitudes and activities beyond a single post, and we are well aware of the dangers and inherent risks of such a procedure. This is why decisions based on such criteria will always be staff decisions and never be made by a single staff member "on the fly", and there will be warnings before any further measures are taken in order to allow the member to see and subsequently correct his errors before anything happens.

As a lot of the problem lies in the long term posting habits of the member in question, the single posts are often not against the rules in a strict sense and usually do not stand out as overly aggressive or disruptive per se. The offense is in the long run, which will now be dealt with accordingly.
    Such disruption of the board will no longer be able to hide behind our own rules.

Please note that this unwanted behaviour is not limited to pro or contra a given manufacturer or dealer. Basically any behaviour that fits the above-mentioned criteria can get you into trouble.

On CPF, opinions are welcome. We can discuss them freely, and we can agree to disagree. We are tolerant and respect each other despite some different preferences and opinions. This is what makes CPF a friendly and rich place on the net. Basically, to sum it up, we thrive to follow the Golden Rule.
    However, veiled vicious behaviour with the result of harm done to the CPF community will no longer be tolerated. Even if the veil consists of well worded, non-aggressive pseudo on-topic posts. Especially agenda-driven war-mongering or attacks against the poster instead of the post will invoke moderative actions.

bernie - on behalf of CPF staff

Default Re: Announcement regarding the species TROLL

Wise idea. A board I'm a staffer on (that's WAY smaller than CPF) has had to use principles-based enforcement of trolling rules instead of rigidly defining "trolling" per se, as the folks that disrupt the most are very careful to not fit the definition.

oO
    O d d O n e
    Webdude of "OddOne's White LED Information"
    http://www.e-f-w.com/community/

: to the CPF Staff - the disruption to the community is what's most upsetting about trolls.

A rule like this has needed to be on the board for quite a while now, I'm glad to see it.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Enlightened

I know I'm new and don't have any 'clout', but I agree. The overly aggressive and dramatic exchanges that sometimes take place are of little use to the community. With that said, I notice that sometimes the Mods and Admins can be very curt when admonishing forum members or responding to a particular post; not always, but it's noticeable. i would respectfully request that a softer, less imatient tone be employed on a routine basis, saving the the 'tough love' for those whose posts truly deserve it (please don't ban me for this!).

That's it, Robby...

Robby... you make a good point. And in truth, that very issue was discussed before Bernie made his post. As a matter of fact, it was part of the discussion in the process of creating Bernie's post.

I do need to add though that when you see a post by an Admin or Mod that may come across as curt, you are seeing only one post. You don't know the history of the "players". There may be much more to it than that one post and it's quite possible that the curt tone is appropriate at the time. I'm not saying that is always the case and as I said, it has been discussed. But that's what this thread is about. Not single posts... but over all "attitude" that can be shown by looking at a history of posts.

Flashaholic*

Dang, now I'm going to have to behave myself
    Ask not what Flashoholics can do for you, but what can you do for Flashoholics

Now I know what TTT stands for (The trolling troll) but it is good to have a zero trollerance sometimes I suppose

Here's to a more peaceful CPF.
    Last edited by TITAN1833; 11-20-2007 at 04:16 AM. Reason: add
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

Flashaholic*

I'm all for any plan that makes a better experience for all of us, Thanks Admins for all your hard work!
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

Here, here! Definitely a step forward.
    Carpe noctem

I'm the last person to call for more rules or government, but this is a needed step.

*Flashaholic*

Kel, and well written, Bernie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (How abt a couple recent bans going perma?)

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

I guess, along with "Uncle F", I will need to behave, as well.

Mr. Larry asks IMO, a very valid question.

jeffb

Hmmm Mods and admins must be doing a pretty good job. I have not witnessed much disruptive behavior on these forums since I have been coming here. Keep up the good work.

Good policy.

Thank you!

Proud custodian of Tvodrd`s one and only Tungsten Larry Light, along with a 14430 LL, a CR2 LL/Arc AA; Peter`s Arc`s and Brass Arc AAA; Mike Jordan`s gems; some really great lights from Enrique, Fred and Tain ...and *several* of Don`s creations.

Flashaholic*

Thanks to all the admins for making this the best community that I know of. I've never noticed any admin be heavy handed - please keep up the great work.

Lightbulb Re: Announcement regarding the species TROLL

Great idea!!!

Thank You!

Please forgive my ignorance, can someone give me a definition of a troll? You can do it via PM if you wish. Thanks!

Wink Re: Announcement regarding the species TROLL

Short and to the point: someone who's motive it is to disrupt.
    BART

Quote Originally Posted by MARNAV1 View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance, can someone give me a definition of a troll? You can do it via PM if you wish. Thanks!
    Marnav... I think that for our purposes here on CPF, the definition of a troll is best described by Bernie in his post... this part...

From now on, all members displaying a posting history that is governed by an agenda to a point ...
    • where it is annoying for the general membership,
    • where it abuses and disrupts CPF,
    • where it leads to thread closures and loss of information
    • where it constantly spills negtativity or
    • where all posts are so narrow minded and concentrated on one subject that this member has lost all credibility and is thus devaluating the content of CPF
    ... will be treated as trolls with all consequences, most notably the removal of their posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by MARNAV1 View Post
    Google is your friend Just Googled "online forum troll definition" and got this from here:

(v.) (1) To deliberately post derogatory or inflammatory comments to a community forum, chat room, newsgroup and/or a blog in order to bait other users into responding.

Dang, Bart and Sasha, you are just too fast for me .
    Last edited by srvctec; 11-19-2007 at 11:50 PM.

Needed? Yup. But oh man, what a sad day - sad that we've reached the point where we have to spell this sort of thing out. This board started and ran on nothing more than the golden rule for quite some time. But we only had a handful of active members back then. What worked then can no longer work now, of course. Now each rule we make ends up creating another rule to clarify the first one - or to prevent somebody from USING the first one to justify destructive behaviour.

Please excuse my tearful reminiscing of the lost "good old days" of CPF.
    Last edited by Darell; 11-20-2007 at 01:12 AM.
    - Darell, the EVnut
    Email me: darelldd -at- gmail - I don't do PM.
    Is Tenacity just Badassity x 10?

Okay, thanks for clarifying that for me everybody!

Flashaholic*

for CPF.....

It is sad that is has come to this but seems to be a necessary step in keeping with the current issue on CPF. I'm still a noob around here but have no problem understanding what the staff is talking about, I hope others will understand as well.

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Quote Originally Posted by Darell View Post
    Please excuse my tearful reminiscing of the lost "good old days" of CPF.
    Remember when 5mm LED's were about it, when the new Luxeon [new luxeon, in a new light ] light generated the need to require a second thread be started, when hitting 1,000 posts was a big deal. Remember when you could keep up with everything on the whole forum. Remember when you had time to post more than a few times a day

OK enough of that. I think the percentages are getting us. Only a very small portion of our group is destructive, not really 'our group'. As there are more of us the Admins need to be more restrictive. The 'lowest common denominator' comes to the fore.
    Thanks once again for keeping CPF a place where we have friends.
    The dead batteries were given out free of charge

Needed yes but, as Darell already stated, a sad day I'm afraid. I have been directly involved in the regulatory end of the social services industry for the past 33 years. Accurate, objective enforcement of any set of regulatory standards is, what we call today "challanging" we used to call a "bear" or another "B" word I'm afraid to use here. Folks can self-regulate for periods of time but often require some "guidance". Good luck and I sure do hope (other than some occasional stumbling on my part) I don't become the subject of that guidance.

Karl

Thanx for the support, guys!
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Personally I think you admins are being too generous for feeling the need to delineate rules concerning trolling. A troll knows he is a troll, so should expect to get banned in this forum-centric day and age--with or without warning!

My 0.02 anyway.

This is one of my favorite forums because of the great people here who are full of information and always ready to help. Thanks for addressing this issue before it gets out of hand here.

Unfortunately trolls are everywhere, not just here. I think that most trolls know what they are doing and they don't really need someone to define trolling. Everyone makes mistakes, but when becomes a pattern, it is time to give the trolls encouragement to go elsewhere...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast