Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome back from the abyss!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Au Welcome back from the abyss!

There is still lots of cosmetic stuff to do to get back to 'normal'. But the basic function stuff is back up to speed... and actually should be MUCH better than it was before. We'll see. There still may be some tweeking that needs to be done to the server also.

We are now residing on a brand spanking new server that is bigger and better than what we had before. Watching it handle what I've been running it through this past week... I'm impressed. No time-outs with some seriously intensive processes and only bumping up the load a little bit... NOTHING like what was happening before. Again... we'll see if it can handle you guys before making a final judgement...

I don't know what more to say at this time. Tandem will be posting shortly to give you all an update on the 'lost' posts that have been 'restored'. It's not perfect... but it is the best we could do... and it's certainly better than nothing at all.

THANK YOU TANDEM!!!

... and a special thank you also to PieceOfMind and his wonderful habit of saving RSS feeds for the past year! ... without those feeds, tandem wouldn't have had anything to 'restore'....
    Last edited by Greta; 03-09-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Default Re: Welcome back from the abyss!

I have something of a bad-news, good-news story to present.

First the bad: a large percentage of posts added to CPF from November 2 2010 through to the end of February 2011 are lost. In addition, if you changed your email address or other personal data during that time, you'll need to update your member profile accordingly.

This also means that any member which signed up to CPF during that period (only!) will have to sign up again as their records were lost.

Now the good news:

Thanks to CPF member PeaceOfMind collecting RSS (Atom) feed data, we have had a head start at restoring lost posts. I wrote some software and database scripts to automatically import this data back into CPF, bringing back to life some 7,500 posts that were made during the same time frame.

Unfortunately the data for the most part represented the first post only in as many threads. What we've ended up then is approximately 7,500 threads recovered spanning the period noted, each with a single post in them. The data also allowed me to at least attribute what was written by lost users to what I'll call a "placeholder" user name. From time to time you'll see these placeholder member names on the forum as member names starting with "z_", i.e. "z_lightsaber123". This was done to keep some of the posting history, but also to allow lost members to attempt to re-sign up as their prior user id. See the FAQ for more on this.

While we all wish there was more recovered, what we did get back is much better then nothing. In addition by having the top-level post in more than seven thousand threads reconstructed means we at least have some structure in place which is already proving invaluable in helping us all figure out both what is missing, and what is important. From here we can collectively decide what is truly important that needs to be recovered by hand - by members - where possible from the 'cached' pages offered by various search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing.

The vast majority of threads and posts (more than three and a half million posts!) are intact. The vast majority of users were unaffected (except for lost posts), and we have a shiny new server to run our community which should better keep up with the demands we all place upon it. Yes, the CPF has suffered a wound, but it isn't fatal and with all our help we can heal it fast.

So what about all that lost posting history? Is there anything that can be done?

I'm glad you asked. During the CPF outage a discussion arose in the administrative forum over on CPF Marketplace as to what we could do to recover some of the lost history. Step one is now done. Step two involves *all* of us, and I'll go into that in the very next post.
    Last edited by tandem; 03-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Let's talk about moving on.

For the most part the forums at CPF will naturally come back to life as we all get back on to the site. Conversations will start or restart anew and for many the gap in time and lost posts will soon become a distant memory.

Yet there are many posts of enduring significance which have been lost - product reviews, detailed discussions on LEDs and tools and preferences, you name it -- that are important and - the CPF membership - should try to rebuild. One member insightfully noted that the history of the introduction of the first CREE XM-L based lights largely transpired during the Nov 2010 - Feb 2011 time frame.

So what can be done? Google it! Or Yahoo it! Or Bing it! Many will already be familiar with the "cache" link found in many search results provided by Google, Yahoo and the like. For example, a Google search with the following term:

Returns in Google:

Malkoff Devices "Hound Dog" XM-L
    30 posts - 21 authors - Last post: 9 Jan
    Its up on the malkoff website, needs to be updated with some specs and none are in stock, but you can sign up to be notified when it is in ...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...p?t=306272...1 - Cached

Note the "cache" link -- this takes you to a snapshot of the page / thread as it was at some point in the past. The good news is that for many CPF pages, the cache data lands somewhere inbetween Nov 2010 and end of Feb 2011, which means we can grab information for missing posts from those cache pages.

Copying and pasting data from those pages into CPF is easy, but tedious. I've written a tool to help take some of the tedium out of the process.

Introducing Deja Vu - the tool to help you recover your lost threads.

Bookmark: http://dejavu.solutionroute.ca/

At the Deja Vu site you have two options for getting into the HTML to "bbcode" (bbcode is what all CPF members type into their forum posts) format. You can paste into a simple box, or, if you've stored the cache files locally, you can upload them to the web application. Here are some screen shots:

http://dejavu.solutionroute.ca/upload

Choose a file on your computer to upload and be converted

I've picked a Google cache file I had previously stored on my computer as "googlecache1.html"

Click on the Submit button and ...

All the posts in the cache file will be converted to "bbcode".

Ready for selecting and copying.

At this point *you* then can selectively or en mass re-post back into the appropriate thread on CPF.

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH USING THIS TOOL PLEASE CONTACT ME.
    Last edited by tandem; 03-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Outage Frequently Asked Questions

1. What happened to CPF? Certain forum information collected between Nov 2010 and Feb 2011 is missing. During the recent down time (end of Feb 2011 for a number of days) a fair amount of information was recovered.
    2. Does my CPF member account exist ? If your account existed before Nov 2 2010, yes, you'll be able to log on. However all user accounts registered sometime on Nov 2 and later are gone.
    3. How will I know if my account exists or not? No matter what one believes is the fate of their member account, all CPF members should first attempt to log on with their regular username; those that find they can't because the username no longer exists in the system, i.e. those that were affected within the Nov 2 2010 to present time frame, will have to re-register if they want posting access again.
    4. I was a new user (after Nov 2 2010) and my original account is lost. What username should I choose when I re-register? It is recommended that these affected members attempt to choose their old username when they re-register.
    5. I have to re-register; do I have to go through the first posts moderation process all over again? Yes, you do. Yes, it's a pain for you, but only a minor pain. This moderation process is how we keep spammers and other ne'er-do-well's out of CPF.
    6. I was affected and want to re-register - could someone else take my username? Username selection is first come first serve. We hope that no one will with malicious intent try to select a username that was used previously by another. If this should happen accidentally the system admins can intervene.
    7. I was affected and have just re-registered but haven't received a confirmation email yet. What gives? Confirmation emails go out in batches automatically and as the registration activity is high at present, do be patient and check your inbox in a little while. Typically you should see a confirmation email well within an hour of signing up. If you still haven't received your confirmation email, do check your SPAM folder / filters -- due to the server change the mail server IP address has also changed and it is possible your SPAM filters (if any) may not be allowing mail directly through to your inbox. (As of Friday March 11 there is an email server issue that is being worked on. Please be patient!)
    8. My account seems ok, but I can't log on. Chances are you may have changed your password over the last few months, and that change has been lost. If you can't remember your password, visit the Lost Password Recovery Form.
    9. My account was ok, but I am missing Private Messages. Is there any way to get them back? Sorry, no. PM's sent or received between Nov 2 2010 and the end of February 2011 have been lost.
    10. My account was ok. Will I have any posts from Nov 2 2010 to the end of February 2011? Many will not, particularly if you normally respond to other member's threads rather than start your own threads. If you created a thread during that time there is some chance at least your initial post in the thread was restored. You'll be the owner of that post and thread and will be able to edit and manage the thread as you normally would.
    11. My account was not ok. Will I have any posts during the Nov - Feb timeframe? Posts made by lost users (see point #1) have been assigned to a a place holder username labelled "z_originalusername". For example if a user called "harry2by4" was affected and had created a thread during that time, there will be one or more posts recovered in the system and associated with "z_harry2by4".
    12. My account was not ok, and I've re-registered successfully. Will I have a post count of zero? Yes, new users will have a post count of zero. The new user post moderation hurdle is the single most effective way of preventing spammers from infesting CPF. In addition without human intervention there is no way for the forum software to differentiate between a truly new user and a returning forum member who was affected. There is a certain workload on the forum moderators regardless of how this is handled but the default mechanism is in place to help protect CPF.
    13. My account was not ok, and I see some posts associated with my "ghost" user. Will I be able to edit these posts? The posts associated with the ghost accounts (usernames prefixed with "z_") will not be editable by anyone as the post/threads associated with these accounts are owned by a place holder user. Could this situation change in the future? Anything is possible but no one should count on this.
    14. CPF is up and running now, will my catch-up posting activity break it? No. The server was upgraded and seems to be handling load much better than the old machine. Unless advised otherwise, go about carrying on your CPF activities as you need to.
    15. I have post data saved from Google cache. Can this data be automatically imported into CPF? No, not automatically, but yes there is a tool to help you help yourself - for details visit http://dejavu.solutionroute.ca/ and be sure to check out the thread-recovery support thread here at CPF.

I'll update this as needed.
    Last edited by tandem; 03-11-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Excellent work...

CLAP CLAP CLAP ....
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

Party Re: Welcome back from the abyss!

Default Re: The 'NEW' CPF!

No complaints from me either but a polite request.

Would it be possible to move the banner ads from where they are underneath the menu bar up to the blank area to the right of the CPF logo?

I find that with where they are now I tend to scroll past them with out noticing them, but if they were at the top of the page you would see them first each time you change pages.

Although that could be a bad thing for my wallet.

Edit: This post was moved from another thread.

But aside from that A big TY to all who have given their time & talents to getting CPF back on it's feet.
    Last edited by Dr Jekell; 03-10-2011 at 06:31 AM.
    There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions

Glad to see it back an running.

Rest up Greta, your health comes first!

Flashaholic

Thank you Greta and Tandem for all the hard work

Unenlightened

Welcome back! Though I must say my wallet seems a bit fatter not having had flashlight envy for a bit

Many thanks to everyone involved. I'm sure it was a stressful time indeed.

Glad we are Back, thanks to Greta & all involved in getting CPF back online

Not only is it much faster that it has been since the last 'upgrade' but it 'seems' faster than it was even before the 'upgrade', great stuff.

AND it's clear and easy to read again!! Excellent!

I say leave it alone now :-)

Well done and congrats to all involved.

All of this waaaaay beyond Karl but, thanks....and thanks again!

Karl

I'd like to add another voice saying "MANY THANKS" for the restoration of CPF.

Fast! Like! Thx!
    Too many lights! Stop me!

Enlightened

I am saved! It is back! Thnx Greta/Tandem/FREQ whoever helped to bring our baby back. I never actually thought I would miss an internet item SO MUCH. Awesome job ladies and gents
    Get better soon Greta.

Excellent and heroic effort on behalf of CPF, Greta.

I can't imagine how much strain this must have been.

Well done.

obi
    Last edited by DM51; 03-10-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: language
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Thank you all, it's good to be back!

Flashaholic*

Many thanks to Greta and all involved in bringing CPF back.

Sadly, my account details weren't recognised, so I've had to re-register and I'm back to zero posts - not that I had a huge amount. Oh well, can't be helped.

Just have to post because...I can!!

So exciting to see CPF up and running!

Thanks, PieceOfMind!
    THANKS, Tandem!!
    ***THANKS, GRETA***!!!

Enlightened

Thanx to all who helped get the best site on the web back up and running!!!
    I missed Cpf way more than i thought i would!!!

good news, for sure!

Thanks for your effort everyone, especially for staff and the people who restored these threads! Nice to see cpf back, up and running again!

Enlightened

Please help me get my full privileges back. I need this post. I was a new member after 11/02/10, and now I have to start over. Thanks

Woohoot! Thanks for all of the hard work y'all have done to restore the forums. Way to go!

Thanks for the new server...you're right, it's much better, snappier, better all the way around.

Doing my part and filling in old discussions...got lucky with a couple of long posts I'd saved, and am reposting now...

I've created a support thread for the Deja Vu tool which helps members help themselves to reposting content found in Google | Yahoo | Bing search cache pages.

If anyone runs across a cache page that the tool can't handle please contact me in that thread or PM me. As Techjunkie says, time is limited - the cache pages will start expiring and be replaced with newer pages that don't have the historical content unless we act quickly to restore at least those threads that really deserve preservation.

in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

Sorry if posting the same thing in this thread and the Deja Vu tool support thread offends anyone, but I'm just trying to be helpful to folks (like myself) who never read assembly instructions and would probably never visit the support thread. That said, copy and paste...

To find pages beyond the first page of a thread, I've found the following works very well...

After you've located page 1 of the thread you were looking for and have navigated to its cached page, copy just the text of that URL from the top line of the cached result page (not your browser's address bar), as in the URL portion of, "This is Google's cache of http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=308569&page=1 . It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on..."

Then, open another browser window to Google and in the search box type cache: and then without a space, paste the URL you copied, so your search appears like:
    cache:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=308569&page=1

Before clicking search, change the page number at the end of the URL you pasted. As in:
    cache:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=308569&page=2

Rinse and repeat for each missing page of a thread.

I was able to use this method to recover all four pages of a lost thread that existed entirely in the lost window.

I found that Google "cache:http://..." syntax here: http://www.searchengineshowdown.com/.../archive.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast