Acebeam        
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome back from the abyss!

Au Welcome back from the abyss!

There is still lots of cosmetic stuff to do to get back to 'normal'. But the basic function stuff is back up to speed... and actually should be MUCH better than it was before. We'll see. There still may be some tweeking that needs to be done to the server also.

We are now residing on a brand spanking new server that is bigger and better than what we had before. Watching it handle what I've been running it through this past week... I'm impressed. No time-outs with some seriously intensive processes and only bumping up the load a little bit... NOTHING like what was happening before. Again... we'll see if it can handle you guys before making a final judgement...

I don't know what more to say at this time. Tandem will be posting shortly to give you all an update on the 'lost' posts that have been 'restored'. It's not perfect... but it is the best we could do... and it's certainly better than nothing at all.

THANK YOU TANDEM!!!

... and a special thank you also to PieceOfMind and his wonderful habit of saving RSS feeds for the past year! ... without those feeds, tandem wouldn't have had anything to 'restore'....
    Last edited by Greta; 03-09-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Default Re: Welcome back from the abyss!

I have something of a bad-news, good-news story to present.

First the bad: a large percentage of posts added to CPF from November 2 2010 through to the end of February 2011 are lost. In addition, if you changed your email address or other personal data during that time, you'll need to update your member profile accordingly.

This also means that any member which signed up to CPF during that period (only!) will have to sign up again as their records were lost.

Now the good news:

Thanks to CPF member PeaceOfMind collecting RSS (Atom) feed data, we have had a head start at restoring lost posts. I wrote some software and database scripts to automatically import this data back into CPF, bringing back to life some 7,500 posts that were made during the same time frame.

Unfortunately the data for the most part represented the first post only in as many threads. What we've ended up then is approximately 7,500 threads recovered spanning the period noted, each with a single post in them. The data also allowed me to at least attribute what was written by lost users to what I'll call a "placeholder" user name. From time to time you'll see these placeholder member names on the forum as member names starting with "z_", i.e. "z_lightsaber123". This was done to keep some of the posting history, but also to allow lost members to attempt to re-sign up as their prior user id. See the FAQ for more on this.

While we all wish there was more recovered, what we did get back is much better then nothing. In addition by having the top-level post in more than seven thousand threads reconstructed means we at least have some structure in place which is already proving invaluable in helping us all figure out both what is missing, and what is important. From here we can collectively decide what is truly important that needs to be recovered by hand - by members - where possible from the 'cached' pages offered by various search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing.

The vast majority of threads and posts (more than three and a half million posts!) are intact. The vast majority of users were unaffected (except for lost posts), and we have a shiny new server to run our community which should better keep up with the demands we all place upon it. Yes, the CPF has suffered a wound, but it isn't fatal and with all our help we can heal it fast.

So what about all that lost posting history? Is there anything that can be done?

I'm glad you asked. During the CPF outage a discussion arose in the administrative forum over on CPF Marketplace as to what we could do to recover some of the lost history. Step one is now done. Step two involves *all* of us, and I'll go into that in the very next post.
    Last edited by tandem; 03-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Let's talk about moving on.

For the most part the forums at CPF will naturally come back to life as we all get back on to the site. Conversations will start or restart anew and for many the gap in time and lost posts will soon become a distant memory.

Yet there are many posts of enduring significance which have been lost - product reviews, detailed discussions on LEDs and tools and preferences, you name it -- that are important and - the CPF membership - should try to rebuild. One member insightfully noted that the history of the introduction of the first CREE XM-L based lights largely transpired during the Nov 2010 - Feb 2011 time frame.

So what can be done? Google it! Or Yahoo it! Or Bing it! Many will already be familiar with the "cache" link found in many search results provided by Google, Yahoo and the like. For example, a Google search with the following term:

Returns in Google:

Malkoff Devices "Hound Dog" XM-L
    30 posts - 21 authors - Last post: 9 Jan
    Its up on the malkoff website, needs to be updated with some specs and none are in stock, but you can sign up to be notified when it is in ...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...p?t=306272...1 - Cached

Note the "cache" link -- this takes you to a snapshot of the page / thread as it was at some point in the past. The good news is that for many CPF pages, the cache data lands somewhere inbetween Nov 2010 and end of Feb 2011, which means we can grab information for missing posts from those cache pages.

Copying and pasting data from those pages into CPF is easy, but tedious. I've written a tool to help take some of the tedium out of the process.

Introducing Deja Vu - the tool to help you recover your lost threads.

Bookmark: http://dejavu.solutionroute.ca/

At the Deja Vu site you have two options for getting into the HTML to "bbcode" (bbcode is what all CPF members type into their forum posts) format. You can paste into a simple box, or, if you've stored the cache files locally, you can upload them to the web application. Here are some screen shots:

http://dejavu.solutionroute.ca/upload

Choose a file on your computer to upload and be converted

I've picked a Google cache file I had previously stored on my computer as "googlecache1.html"

Click on the Submit button and ...

All the posts in the cache file will be converted to "bbcode".

Ready for selecting and copying.

At this point *you* then can selectively or en mass re-post back into the appropriate thread on CPF.

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH USING THIS TOOL PLEASE CONTACT ME.
    Last edited by tandem; 03-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Outage Frequently Asked Questions

1. What happened to CPF? Certain forum information collected between Nov 2010 and Feb 2011 is missing. During the recent down time (end of Feb 2011 for a number of days) a fair amount of information was recovered.
    2. Does my CPF member account exist ? If your account existed before Nov 2 2010, yes, you'll be able to log on. However all user accounts registered sometime on Nov 2 and later are gone.
    3. How will I know if my account exists or not? No matter what one believes is the fate of their member account, all CPF members should first attempt to log on with their regular username; those that find they can't because the username no longer exists in the system, i.e. those that were affected within the Nov 2 2010 to present time frame, will have to re-register if they want posting access again.
    4. I was a new user (after Nov 2 2010) and my original account is lost. What username should I choose when I re-register? It is recommended that these affected members attempt to choose their old username when they re-register.
    5. I have to re-register; do I have to go through the first posts moderation process all over again? Yes, you do. Yes, it's a pain for you, but only a minor pain. This moderation process is how we keep spammers and other ne'er-do-well's out of CPF.
    6. I was affected and want to re-register - could someone else take my username? Username selection is first come first serve. We hope that no one will with malicious intent try to select a username that was used previously by another. If this should happen accidentally the system admins can intervene.
    7. I was affected and have just re-registered but haven't received a confirmation email yet. What gives? Confirmation emails go out in batches automatically and as the registration activity is high at present, do be patient and check your inbox in a little while. Typically you should see a confirmation email well within an hour of signing up. If you still haven't received your confirmation email, do check your SPAM folder / filters -- due to the server change the mail server IP address has also changed and it is possible your SPAM filters (if any) may not be allowing mail directly through to your inbox. (As of Friday March 11 there is an email server issue that is being worked on. Please be patient!)
    8. My account seems ok, but I can't log on. Chances are you may have changed your password over the last few months, and that change has been lost. If you can't remember your password, visit the Lost Password Recovery Form.
    9. My account was ok, but I am missing Private Messages. Is there any way to get them back? Sorry, no. PM's sent or received between Nov 2 2010 and the end of February 2011 have been lost.
    10. My account was ok. Will I have any posts from Nov 2 2010 to the end of February 2011? Many will not, particularly if you normally respond to other member's threads rather than start your own threads. If you created a thread during that time there is some chance at least your initial post in the thread was restored. You'll be the owner of that post and thread and will be able to edit and manage the thread as you normally would.
    11. My account was not ok. Will I have any posts during the Nov - Feb timeframe? Posts made by lost users (see point #1) have been assigned to a a place holder username labelled "z_originalusername". For example if a user called "harry2by4" was affected and had created a thread during that time, there will be one or more posts recovered in the system and associated with "z_harry2by4".
    12. My account was not ok, and I've re-registered successfully. Will I have a post count of zero? Yes, new users will have a post count of zero. The new user post moderation hurdle is the single most effective way of preventing spammers from infesting CPF. In addition without human intervention there is no way for the forum software to differentiate between a truly new user and a returning forum member who was affected. There is a certain workload on the forum moderators regardless of how this is handled but the default mechanism is in place to help protect CPF.
    13. My account was not ok, and I see some posts associated with my "ghost" user. Will I be able to edit these posts? The posts associated with the ghost accounts (usernames prefixed with "z_") will not be editable by anyone as the post/threads associated with these accounts are owned by a place holder user. Could this situation change in the future? Anything is possible but no one should count on this.
    14. CPF is up and running now, will my catch-up posting activity break it? No. The server was upgraded and seems to be handling load much better than the old machine. Unless advised otherwise, go about carrying on your CPF activities as you need to.
    15. I have post data saved from Google cache. Can this data be automatically imported into CPF? No, not automatically, but yes there is a tool to help you help yourself - for details visit http://dejavu.solutionroute.ca/ and be sure to check out the thread-recovery support thread here at CPF.

I'll update this as needed.
    Last edited by tandem; 03-11-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Excellent work...

CLAP CLAP CLAP ....
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    CLAP CLAP CLAP ....

You got what?

Thank you all for your great efforts in restoring the forums. Computers are not my strong suit so I greatly appreciate every ones work to get CPF back up and running.
    - 18350 HDS EDC XP-L 90 CRI -
    www.romanledlights.com

WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!!
    Well, only 2 posts for me.... so that mod review new post thing is disabled?

Flashaholic*

Many thanks to Greta, Tandem and everyone else on their very hard work!
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Unenlightened

Wow! Nice. Thanks everyone for their time and efforts.

I tip my hat to all of you! Bravo!
    You Can't Fix STUPID!

Enlightened

Great job, thank you.

Flashaholic*

Thumbs up Re: Welcome back from the abyss!

Well done, you can now has a cookie.
    Thank you .

Thanks Greta, Tandem, and rest of the team !!!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ still seems to be announcing that it is offline. Is that a glitch?
    Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht

Thats probably a no longer valid page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ still seems to be announcing that it is offline. Is that a glitch?
    It has been fixed.

Flashaholic*

Glad yall got everything back up and running! Many thanks go out to all who made it possible!

Caleb Wilson

Enlightened

Buttrock Re: Welcome back from the abyss!

Thank you Ms. Greta! I sure did miss the forums!

Thanks to everyone who worked diligently to get CPF back on air.
    back to CPF

Nice job guys! Stressful I'm sure but you did fine jobs and now we're back!
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Flashaholic

YAY...

Gad I missed this place! Thanks everyone!

Happy Dance!

Flashaholic*

Buttrock Re: Welcome back from the abyss!

HIP HIP....HOORAY!!! Wow, never knew how much I'd miss this place. Good to be back!

Kinda surprised that I didn't even have to log in....guess my cookies aren't yet stale.

Thanks to all you computer geeks...errr, I mean..computer GENIUSES who kicked the tires and re-lit the fires! Hat's off to ya!
    Last edited by Colonel Sanders; 03-09-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: I can't freakin' spell tonight for some reason!

Nice! Thank you folks! I miss CPF a lot!

I don´t mean to be unpolite, but what happened? Could someone tell a very short story just to show us what happened?

Just curiosity...

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

Lots have asked but Greta would like us to just leave that one alone. Somehow it crashed, and somehow the Nov 2010 backup was the last one available. Anything else is speculation, which she'd prefer we avoid.

Flashaholic*

Welcome back, CPF!

Great to be back.. Unfortunately I was one of the folks affected.. But now I have some posts to make (remake) and some more discussions to attribute to. I'm glad we're back..

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast