Click to visit Lumintop new flashlights!
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkoff M91

Default Re: Malkoff M91

3500 is probably a bit too warm for me, sitting this batch out.

I think I got the last M91W of the 1st batch and I can't wait to drop it in the MD3 I have waiting for it. Should arrive this week so I can test it out over the weekend!

Is M61W bright enough? Maybe I need to upgrade. Should I get rid of my M61W, and buy the M91W?

Quote Originally Posted by CPFBiology View Post
    Is M61W bright enough? Maybe I need to upgrade. Should I get rid of my M61W, and buy the M91W?
    Yep, I have it on good authority that the M61W's are officially dimmer now that the M91W's are available.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Looking at my M91W in a SF C3 host, the tint is slightly magenta compared to a recent M61W in a SF 6P. With light notes of tobacco as they would say at a wine tasting. As with the M91, the beam is quite floody, good for clearing a room or putting up a wall of light in a tactical situation.

Not sure I want to try another three cell runtime test with AW IMR's. The dropin seems to draw the voltages down enough before blinking to permanently damage the cells from what some folks have written here. Instead, maybe I'll run down some primaries I've been saving for Y3K.

any beam shots of the M91W yet?

Mine is out for delivery today. Might have to be one of the first to post! (if I get the time tonight)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Yep, I have it on good authority that the M61W's are officially dimmer now that the M91W's are available.

here are my first attempts at beam shots (you'll have to forgive the crappy basement and cell phone pics but its the best I could do at the moment). Unfortunately with all the rain the basement doesn't look too good because we had a bit of water down there. Oh well.

P60 bulb

M61

M91W

My impression is that it is much warmer than these pics will show (i think the while walls make it seem cooler). Definitely the warmest of my LED lights. It has an incredibly bright spill area, a tad narrower than my m60f.

All-in-all its a great drop-in. The really warm tint will take some getting used to, but its pretty impressive nonetheless.

Sorry my first beam shots aren't better. But I just wanted to share!

I ran back to the basement for a quick comparison between the M91W and M60F. Sorry for the crappy pics and messy basement again.

M60F

M91W

Comparing the M91 with the M91W side by side in SF three cell hosts with AW IMR's, the M91 looks slightly brighter as would be expected.

I've got the M91 in a SF 9P for now. I want to put it in an M3 but need to make sure the thermal and electrical paths with the shock absorber head are really good with this high power LED. Guess I need the spacer ring to keep the M91 pressed hard back into the body, right?

Thanks for the pics. May I know the distance between the light and the wall?

@ bwa1185,

Thank you. I'm quite impressed with your M91W. shots - Of course, I'll have to have one! Is the drop-in engraved Hi CRI?

@ er_Ken: I'd have to say it's roughly 35' from wall to light

@ Sparkys Magic: thanks for the compliments. I highly recommend one of these. And the drop in is engraved "M91W"

And to add i got to try it out tonight at my mother in laws house and compared it to my m61. At a treeline about 100+ yards away the m61 seemed to reach it better with it's hotspot, but the m91w lit up the entire field up to it like you wouldn't believe (and lit up the treeline as well, just not as concentrated as the 61). Now I know why the warm tints are considered to be so addicting to so many.

And for those who think it's too warm, I was hesitant about it as well. And when I tried it at first during the daylit I thought it was way too warm. But when trying it out tonight in the back yard it seemed to give a very natural illumination to the grass/trees/house. Very very pleased with this drop in.

Also wanted to say if you plan to use this in conjunction with a hi/low ring the low setting is really useful. Much better than the when I was using the md3 host with an mc-e. It's a very useful light that actually has a nice flood/throw for a non "offensive" beam (couldn't think of a better way to describe it, but it wouldn't disturb anyone either close or far away when using it.)
    Last edited by bwall85; 04-30-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added low review

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post
    I popped two IMR 18650s into the Pila last night, charged them up (4.19 and 4.20v) and then into my 2x18650 host with the M91 this morning. Turned it on at 10:55 am and it is still going strong as of 12:10, will keep it going.

The light has gotten fairly warm as I am tailstanding it, but not warm enough to be uncomfotable at all and I'm able to pick it up and hold it right behind the bezel with no issues.

Update: Light blinking at 12:28; 1h 33m duration at which point I shut the light off. The light stayed warm, never got too hot to touch. Pulled the batteries right away and they were not hot at all, much cooler than the surrounding host, I would say about body temperature warm.

Batteries were 2.60 and 2.77 out of the host
    As the IMR batteries are rated at 1600 mAH then what about 2X18650-29? I have normally thought that a 2X18650 host is too long, but if I'm going to get more than 2.5 hours on this M91 then ....

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Vox Clamatis in Deserto View Post
    I want to put it in an M3 but need to make sure the thermal and electrical paths with the shock absorber head are really good with this high power LED. Guess I need the spacer ring to keep the M91 pressed hard back into the body, right?
    In an M3? I didn't know P60 drop-ins will fit nor did I know that they could be adapted to fit. The Z46 bezel takes a 36mm reflector, right?

In an M3? I didn't know P60 drop-ins will fit nor did I know that they could be adapted to fit. The Z46 bezel takes a 36mm reflector, right?
    You're right, I read something here a while back that made me think it would work, now that I look around, perhaps I was reading about an M2 with a Malkoff dropin. I've got an extra C3 for a host but the M3 sure looks meaner.

Anyone of you running it off 2x26500, or 2x26650, and what runtimes are you actually getting? How about heat? Which host are you using?

Enlightened

I've got an M91W and I did a couple runtime tests on high.

MD3 with AW18500's 75 minutes

MD4 with AW18650's 2900mah 165 minutes

Flashaholic*

Thanks scot. MD4 ordered.
    Quote Originally Posted by scot View Post
    I've got an M91W and I did a couple runtime tests on high.

MD3 with AW18500's 75 minutes

MD4 with AW18650's 2900mah 165 minutes

My M91W is currently in an MD3 host and was debating about getting 2x 18500 batteries for it. What brand would be recommended? I've had good luck with the protected 14500 gray ultrafires in my pocket lights, would the same kind work well for this in the 18500 size or should I be looking into something else? I also have the Ultrafire Li-Ion charger that will work for both sizes.

I'm running my two on IMRs exclusively. One in a 2x18500 and one in a 2x18650.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post
    I'm running my two on IMRs exclusively. One in a 2x18500 and one in a 2x18650.
    Hello D,

Once you have your IMR 18650s fully charged, ~ how long can you go on high before you decide you need to recharge them?

At what voltage is your recharge floor?

Also, "if" you were to log short, individual stretches of use, would the length of time before recharging be the same as one continuous stretch, or less by ~ what %? Thanks, D!

All the best,
    John

John,

I am running an M91 with two 26650 cells..... 4000 mah

I wonder how long it would run for ? I have not tested it.....

Andrew
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Quote Originally Posted by stoli67 View Post
    John,

I am running an M91 with two 26650 cells..... 4000 mah

I wonder how long it would run for ? I have not tested it.....

Andrew
    Well let's get testing my Aussie brother! Inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers mate,
    John

If I do a runtime test ith those batteries I will probably be waiting a week for it to start flashing!
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

If you check current at the tailcap, then you can estimate runtime, since you know the (nominal) capacity of the cells. Malkoff specifies current as 600 mA @ 12V and 800 mA @ 9V, so if you're adventurous you can extrapolate from those values without having the light, cells or a drop-in. Of course, a real-world test would still be preferred.

- Syncytial.

I'm late to the party. Ordered M91W tonight. My Oveready cerakote BBQ Black P9 and A-19 extender will arrive tomorrow. I figure I can run three rcr123s for walking the dog or two 18650s for camping.

Will the m91 drop into an Elzetta m60?

Flashaholic*

It will require the optional lens, same as the one for the M61, but otherwise yes.

Also be cognizant of the 9V supply requirement. You would have to either a) use the three-cell Elzetta model, or b) use two rechargeables, IMR 16340s or RCR123s.

My M91w arrived today together with an MD2 host. Man, that was extra expensive due to the customs. I paid nearly 65 additional dollars!
    Just charging my second battery to see whether this now 190 $ drop-in is woth it. But I am sure it is!

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151619 ... LastLast