Ascent Fair
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkoff M91

Default Re: Malkoff M91

Bah missed the mailman today, he left me the bill for customs / tax fee tho, 39€ , now stop complaining the M91 is expensive and be greatful Malkoff was born in the US...

Hi all,

After being laid up with a knee injury, this is my first post since CPF came back (thanks to Greta, tandem, et. al.).

I purchased my Malkoff M91 last week and could not believe how much it nearly equaled my other single emitter cool XM-L drop-ins that have much higher amperage than the M91 and it competes equalling as well as my one triple neutral XPG. The only exception for brightness is the Nailbender XM-L drop-in at 3.1A, which requires a lot of heatsinking due to its ability to generate very high heat, making it a perfect candidate for the "Ronac" Cryos heatsinking head. I bought the NB in a 3-mode to run primarily on the mid and low levels with a burst of high when needed ocassionally. But again, although the Malkoff M91 is not quite as bright, it lasts on high until the battery eventually runs low and reduces the voltage. The beam patterns on the M91 and NB 3.1A XM-L are nearly identical.

Per Gene's suggested set-up, I put my M91 in an MD2 head, on an MD3 body (w/ 2x 18500s), but then added a Moddoo Triad/McClicky tailcap. It's a great compliment to my "e-rock" triple, neutral XPG-R2 I have in an L2p host w/ "Ronac's" Cryos heatsinking head. Both are beautiful yard sweepers with complimentary tints. I plan on another Malkoff M91 in a Surefire Z2 w/ another Cryos head to keep in my vehicles.

The M91 also complement my two other "high-output" Malkoffs which bookend the M91 in their beam styles. First the beam hotspot of the M91 is a very broad, but the spot is still evident with a smooth transition to a beautifully floody beam with a mid-range reach. The HoundDog XM-L is a long-range thrower with a much smaller hotspot w/ plenty of proximal flood and the Wildcat .v2 Cool is a no hotspot, all flood light with a medium-range.

Well done once again Gene, Cathy and Don (McGizmo) for a great "value" in a long-running, high output, single XM-L that I can count on for many years to come. And thanks to "Darvis" for his impressions and to all others for your input and feedback.

WELCOME BACK CPF!

All the best for continued success,
    John Calvert
    Last edited by jcalvert; 03-14-2011 at 10:19 PM.

John,

they do look good. I have ordered one.... Are you saying that it is better than your hound dog!
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Where are you guys getting these from?

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Got mine right from the source: The Malkoff website.

When you add up the total cost of the build I lean toward the Hound XM-L over the M91

Flashaholic

The M91's seem a little too steep in price at the moment, hopefully Gene will bring out a M91 MD3 turnkey with hi/low ring combo..... just a suggestion lol.

I don't know. The prices on some of the others went up to $75. Inflation.

The Market will decide the price, as long as they keep selling out, I doubt the price will drop.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Flashaholic*

Craig at Illumination Supply
    Yes I have SAS... Surefire Acquisition Syndrome.
    The HA doesn't bother me but the darn blue tint does!

If there is ever a neutral version I would have to get one. At least one.

I also wonder if Gene has tried an optic with the XM-L? M90 anyone?

Wow. I've ordered quite a few things from Gene. Never realized there was a discount code.
    Not only is there a discount code....., I ordered a hi/lo ring last week & after the fact Gene lowered the standard shipping cost & refunded me part of the original shipping. You don't see that every day (heck I haven't seen that in 15 years!!)

Quote Originally Posted by stoli67 View Post
    John,

they do look good. I have ordered one.... Are you saying that it is better than your hound dog!
    Hey Andrew,

No, not better than the HD XM-L, just different. Whereby the M91 has a very broad hotspot with an even transition to a beautiful flood, the HD XM-L is much more of a thrower with its much smaller and intense hotspot and long range illumination, but still with plenty of near range, useable spill. And the Wildcat is simply a pure, high output beautiful flood beam.

So the M91 is basically a tweener of a drop-in to be used with the Malkoff MD2 head, or most any other P60 size head, especially "ronac's" Cryos heatsinking head. The M91 is a mastery of design and engineering and worth every penny spent on the $125.00 price tag when put it into its proper context relative to other multi-emitter drop-ins at much higher prices. The only multi-emitter drop-in that is a better value than the cool tint M91 and is also a wonderful compliment to the M91, is "e-rocks" triple neutral XPG-R2 with its gorgeous, pure floody beam that still retains some very decent throw.

I hope I explained the compare/contrast to your liking my friend!

All the best and God bless you,
    John

Are there any beamshots LoL?
    I want to see it in action.

Gene- would this m91 module work in the Elzetta M60 ZFL 2 cell host with the High/Low tail cap, using rechargables? If so any idea how many lumens of output in low mode? Thanks

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by flashnight View Post
    Gene- would this m91 module work in the Elzetta M60 ZFL 2 cell host with the High/Low tail cap, using rechargables? If so any idea how many lumens of output in low mode? Thanks
    It should work. I would expect about 20-25 lumens on low.

I would like to see some beamshots of this drop in as well. I'm thinking this drop in would be perfect in an MD4 host or FM 2x18650.

I have an MD3 standing by along with a couple of AW 18500 cells: This setup with a Hi/Low ring should give about 50L. on low mode and be, to my way of thinking, a very tidy outfit indeed. Has anyone tried this configuration?

It could be awhile before we see these in Australia. I've no doubt they will be well worth the wait!

Mine just arrived at home I hear, few more hours and I can play around with a new M91 and M61W .... tick tock tick tock :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky's Magic View Post
    I have an MD3 standing by along with a couple of AW 18500 cells: This setup with a Hi/Low ring should give about 50L. on low mode and be, to my way of thinking, a very tidy outfit indeed. Has anyone tried this configuration?

It could be awhile before we see these in Australia. I've no doubt they will be well worth the wait!
    Hi Sparky,

The MD3 body w/ 2x 18500s and Hi-Lo ring is my configuration including using the MD2 head for the drop-in and a tail-standing shroud ($15) for a little extra standing support. It slides easily in and out of my Nite-Ize 360 degree Stretch Lite holster. It's a wonderful set-up, but that part pales in comparison to the beam of the M91. It's a shame that customs and shipping costs make Australians have to wait for an Aussie dealer to get them. But the M91 will be worth the wait. Hang tight!

Cheers,
    John

Just put the m91 in a C3 and boy what a light, there is a huge hotspot with even more flood around it, it's seems to be normal white light, no tints i could detect sofar. I don't have a good camera to make beamshots unfortunately. It's not throwy, it's massive flood, but with enough power to sqeeze a huge hotspot out, if that makes any sense Also got the m61w today from oveready and that one is in my C2, I like this light alot too, beautiful colour and nice throwy hotspot with enough flood around. Hello new edc.

Any estimate of neutral/warm availability?

Anyone?

--

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeDave View Post
    Any estimate of neutral/warm availability?

Anyone?

--
    I'll see if I can get my hands on some neutral LEDs from cutter for a run - any suggestion on tint?

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    I'll see if I can get my hands on some neutral LEDs from cutter for a run - any suggestion on tint?
    Hi Craig,

Look for a PM shortly. Thanks!

John

Since it was my idea, can I reserve one?

<grin!>

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeDave View Post
    Since it was my idea, can I reserve one?

<grin!>
    To be honest, I've been juggling that idea ever since cutter showed up with neutral LEDs on their website.
    I've delayed ordering them as I don't know (at the moment) whether they have them in stock or not.

The high CRI XP-Gs, on the other hand, they did.
    hm......

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post

4A, 4D, any of the 5A sub-bins.

I just love a 5B myself. Anything round that should motivate my debit card out of my wallet.

Love this dropin....

Mines a blem though. May send it back, Gene didnt leave enough room so a MD lens can sit flush in there for the MD series bodies. Either that, or I can find a thinner lens.

I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

If you go with a borofloat lens from flashlightlens.com, you can get a much thinner lens. I done that with a M60 to get the top half of a VME head to thread down further. If you dont want your M91, Im sure that other members would stand in line to take it off your hands!