Review of / Measurement on 4Sevens Single Bay Charger V1

HKJ

Flashaholic
[SIZE=+3]Charger 4Sevens Single Bay V1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This charger has been recalled[/SIZE]

I have listed the differences between the recalled charger and the new charger

DSC_6355.jpg

This charger was introduced in 2011 together with a new battery from 4Sevens. The charger has one bay and can only charge a single cell at a time, because the charge rate and voltage can be adjusted it can charge a large selection of different sizes can be charged.

DSC_6352.jpg

The charger arrives in a white unmarked card board box.

DSC_6356.jpg
DSC_6357.jpg

Here the two switches can be seen. The voltage switch is used to select the correct charge voltage depending on chemistry, the current switch is used to select current, depending on cell size/capacity. The switches have a very short travel without any click.
The charger has connectors for 12 volt DC and for USB power.

DSC_6358.jpg
DSC_6359.jpg
DSC_6360.jpg

The charger is supplied with leads for 3 different power sources. The mains power supply is universal voltage (100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz). The car adapter needs a socket with 21 to 24 mm diameter. Using the usb power adapter the charger can not charge at 1 ampere, but at a lower rate.
The led is red when charging, both with 160 mA and 0.5A/1A and green at all other times.

supportedBatteryTypes.png

supportedBatterySizes.png
DSC_6361.jpg
DSC_6362.jpg
DSC_6363.jpg
DSC_6364.jpg
DSC_6365.jpg

The charger can handle 70 mm long batteries, and most flat top cells, short batteries (16340/18350) are a bit loose in the charger, more tension on the spring would have been nice.

[SIZE=+2]Measurements[/SIZE]

The charger does not start charging below 2.0 volt, i.e. it cannot turn tripped protection on again.
Between 2.0 volt and 3.0 volt it charges with 160 mA.
Between 3.0 volt and 3.6/4.2 volt the charger is applying regular charge current with constant current (either 500 mA or 1 A), when 4.2 volt is reached it uses a constant voltage charge.
The charger stops when the current has dropped to about 80mA.
When the battery goes above 3.6/4.2 volt or the charge stops the current is turned off (discharges with below 15 uA current).
The charger will not restart charging before the battery has been removed, the power cycled or the battery voltage goes below 2.5 volt.
When charger is disconnected from power, but with a battery in, it will draw below 20 uA from the battery.

4Sevens%20Single%20bay%20charger%20%28AW18650-22%29%200.5A.png

Charging a 2000mAh cell with 0.5A takes about 5 hours, first 2½ hour with constant current and then 2½ hour with constant voltage.

4Sevens%20Single%20bay%20charger%20%28AW18650-22%29.png

Increasing the current to 1A reduces the charge time to a bit above 3 hours. Both CC and CV is faster. Here it can also be seen that the CC/CV regulation is done by a microprocessor and not with a analog chip. The steps is the processor adjusting, analog would have been smooth.

4Sevens%20Single%20bay%20charger%20%28AW16340-IMR%29.png

My old IMR cell is fast to charge on the 0.5A setting. This charge rate uses the same termination current as the 1A setting, but here it is a bit high, especially when charging 16340 cells. The cells will be charged fast, but with a bit lower capacity than possible.

4Sevens%20Single%20bay%20charger%20%28AW18650-22%29%20USB.png

Here I am using USB power to charge a cell, the current switch is in the 1A position. The charger starts with a charging current of 700mA and uses a little bit more from USB. After 10 to 15 minutes the current is down to 500mA. If I had uses the 0.5A ampere setting, the current would have started at 500mA.

4Sevens%20Single%20bay%20charger%20%284Sevens26650-39%29.png

The 4Sevens 26650 battery takes about 5½ hour to charge.

4Sevens%20Single%20bay%20charger%200.5A%20%2818650%20LiFePO4%29.png

When charging a LiFePO4 cell with 3.6 volt termination voltage the charger also does a very fine CC/CV profile. It starts slowly, until the battery is raised to 3 volt, then it goes to full charge current.

[SIZE=+2]Conclusion[/SIZE]

This charger follows a CC/CV charging profile and also supports long 18650 cells and a lot of other cell types. This ought to make this charger a very good charger, with only a few small detail, that could have been better.
But that does not include the first series (i.e. all shipped before 2 Marts 2011) of the chargers, they has a problem that can lead to over current. 4Sevens is aware of the problem and will replace them.

[SIZE=+3]Notes[/SIZE]

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger

When using the charger on USB I have not see the over current problem.

Last edited:

SoCal5150

Newly Enlightened
Re: Review of / Measurement on 4Sevens Single Bay Charger

Thank you for the great/informative review HKJ. I have mainly used AA/CR123 for my flashlights. Since I wanted to try the Maelstrom S12, this ended up being my first jump into the rechargable Li-ion realm. I have already purchased some AW 18650/16340/14500 and Readilast 18650 to use with the 4Sevens charger. I bought the S12 first day it was available so I assume it is from the first batch you mentioned that has problems. Is there any thing specific I should be watching out for? I do not have a DMM (I guess I need to get one now) so should I not use this charger until I can get it replaced? Thanks again HKJ!lovecpf

HKJ

Flashaholic

I bought the S12 first day it was available so I assume it is from the first batch you mentioned that has problems. Is there any thing specific I should be watching out for? I do not have a DMM (I guess I need to get one now) so should I not use this charger until I can get it replaced?

4Sevens does not have the fixed charger yet, i.e. it is the defect one you have.

The safest way to use the charger is with a usb power supply. I could not trigger the fault when using a usb power supply, but with a 12 volt power supply I could very easily trigger it.
With the supplied power supply the fault gives about 2 ampere charger current, but I do not know if the charger will stop when the cell is full. I have always stopped my tests after 5 to 10 seconds with over current.

mrlysle

Enlightened

Thanks for the info! I think I remember a thread about this charger before the forums went down. It's good to know the charger is better now. I thought about getting one, but I really want a Pila IBC unit. What's your opinion of one versus the other besides the Pila having two bays? I really can't see me having the NEED to be charging two cells at a time but you never know. You think the cost savings over the Pila would be worth buying this unit instead? Thanks again for investing the time to review this charger!

HKJ

Flashaholic

What's your opinion of one versus the other besides the Pila having two bays? I really can't see me having the NEED to be charging two cells at a time but you never know. You think the cost savings over the Pila would be worth buying this unit instead?

I a not tested the Pila, but I like the 4Sevens charger. The two current settings, a bay that can handle many sizes of cell makes and that it follows the recommended charging algorithm makes this look like a good buy. Now I just need to test the new version and see that it really is fixed, without reducing performance in any way (I believe that will be the case).
The next thing that is needed is that many people uses the charger for some time, this is the only way to prove that it is as good as it looks and measures. The Pila has passed this.

HKJ

Flashaholic

I guess they are not very concerned as I see zero mention of this on their sub forum in the MP. :confused:

I believe that he is very concerned with it, but are waiting on the fixed series, before initiating a replacement.

tandem

Enlightened

Could the over current condition be triggered when charging any capacity cell? On either current setting?

HKJ

Flashaholic

Could the over current condition be triggered when charging any capacity cell? On either current setting?

Yes, what triggers it is a short interruption of the connection to the battery. I have also see it when power on the charger, but only once.

You can see it on this move clip, the charger start by using 0.55 ampere, but a short interruption of the battery connection increases the current to 2 ampere (With the supplied charger the current is limited to around 1 ampere).

srfreddy

Enlightened

Should I be concerned, if I ordered mine on the 22nd? also, isn't 2 amps safe for 18650s?

gflite

Newly Enlightened

I am waiting on my order too and now concerned about the charger:confused::confused:

HKJ

Flashaholic

Should I be concerned, if I ordered mine on the 22nd? also, isn't 2 amps safe for 18650s?

If the charger is shipped, it is one of the faulty ones. 2A might be safe enough for a 18650, but the charger can also do RCR123. I have not checked if the termination works when the charger goes haywire.
The 2A is only when using the supplied power supply, with the car adapter the current can be higher.

I am waiting on my order too and now concerned about the charger:confused::confused:

As long as it is not shipped yet, I believe you will get a fixed one. If you get one of the early ones, just use it on usb power, until 4Sevens get the fixed ones out.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the idea of this charger - simple but versatile. I kinda wonder though why they didn't suspend sales as soon as they learned of the fault - it seems a bit risky to keep selling a product with a known fault that could be a safety issue.

For many more technically minded people I would tend to recommend the Turnigy Accucell 6 as a better product - it does work out a bit dearer once you add shipping and you do need to have a power supply to run it from mains (some people would already have something suitable, some can modify a PC power supply and some would have to spend another $10 to buy one). Of the 2 I would consider the Accucell to be the safer product - you can see on the display if you have the settings right (and the actual amps & volts). With the 4Sevens charger you would want to be VERY careful with checking the switch positions to be sure you are always on the right settings, mainly with smaller cells that shouldn't be charged at 1A and with LiFePO4 cells that will have their life shortened by charging to 4.2V.

I'd be interested to see the results of testing on the fixed product when available - for a small and easy charger this could be a worthwhile product, especially for people that don't want to be confused by the hundreds of options on a hobby charger.

sirimaxi

Newly Enlightened

I hope new version solves the 2A issue, tighten the spring to better hold the 16340, mark the positive and negative side, 3.6/4.2V and 0.5/1A switches have a longer travel with a click (to let us be sure we are on the setting we want)...with that things solved I think it´s a perfect charger and a very cost effective one....Hope David hear us as always.

HKJ

Flashaholic

I hope new version solves the 2A issue, tighten the spring to better hold the 16340, mark the positive and negative side, 3.6/4.2V and 0.5/1A switches have a longer travel with a click (to let us be sure we are on the setting we want)...with that things solved I think it´s a perfect charger and a very cost effective one....Hope David hear us as always.

I would not expect any physical changes to the charger, this fix had to made fast and would not leave any time to change the design.

4Sevens has posted a official note in the charger thread on cpfmarketplace.

KLowD9x

Banned

I almost ordered one of these but then I saw this thread.

Question: the wall charger, what is the amperage rating? If it is one amp, I would feel a lot better about ordering this charger as that should prevent the overcharge issue you have found.

srfreddy

Enlightened

I almost ordered one of these but then I saw this thread.

Question: the wall charger, what is the amperage rating? If it is one amp, I would feel a lot better about ordering this charger as that should prevent the overcharge issue you have found.

They are waiting on their fixed ones, whose shipment got delayed.

HKJ

Flashaholic

The wall power supply is 1 A, this limits the cell current to around 2 A. But 4Sevens are working on fixing the problem.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Added charger curves for a LiFePO4 18650 and 4Sevens 26650.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, what triggers it is a short interruption of the connection to the battery. I have also see it when power on the charger, but only once.

You can see it on this move clip, the charger start by using 0.55 ampere, but a short interruption of the battery connection increases the current to 2 ampere (With the supplied charger the current is limited to around 1 ampere).

If the charger is shipped, it is one of the faulty ones. 2A might be safe enough for a 18650, but the charger can also do RCR123. I have not checked if the termination works when the charger goes haywire.
The 2A is only when using the supplied power supply, with the car adapter the current can be higher.

As long as it is not shipped yet, I believe you will get a fixed one. If you get one of the early ones, just use it on usb power, until 4Sevens get the fixed ones out.

I'm kind of confused. So the over current charge can happen when using the included AC plug or does it only happen when using the car adapter?