Just got my 18350's (pics)

brandocommando

Enlightened
My 2 IMR 18350's arrived today, (as well as some LiFePO4's,) so I figured I would post up a couple pics for size comparison. They both arrived 4.0 Volts (+/_ .01 V.) And by just looking at them with the naked eye, the 2X18350 setup looks like it is about 1mm taller than my redilast 2900, while diameter is the same. (Bare with me here,) I don't own a set of calipers yet. The 18350's are just a bit taller (less than a mm) than a standard CR123, but are noticeabaly fatter, by at least 2 mm. Obviously there is no way these would fit in a standard CR123 body. They are 700mah each and combined in series provide 7.4 to 8.4 volts in a 1X18650 sized package. :eek:
I will be charging these with my Accucell 6. I'm looking forward to using these in my next pocket rocket build.

018-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

024.jpg

Last edited:

Goodday

Newly Enlightened
Re: Just got my 18350's!

Hi brandocommando
With the additional length is there any issue fitting two 18350 into a 6P
Thank you

brandocommando

Enlightened

The difference in length is very minor, your spring or tailcap should be able to take up the extra space no problem. The issue is they are much fatter so you would need an 18650 host, or have your 6P bored out to accept them.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...re-Bezel-Tailcap-Options-(P-C-Z-and-M-Series)

(In the second pic the blue battery is similar in diameter to a CR123, you can see how much wider these are.)
On a side note, this set-up would show 8.4 volts and would surely blow a stock bulb. The blue LiFePO4's will fit a stock 6P fine but they are higher in voltage (3.2 nominal voltage) than a primary CR123 also, so they have the potential to fry a stock set-up as well.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

A good way to run IMRs with stock incan bulbs is changing to 9 volt bulbs. So P60 -> P90.

BTW, here's another view:

2mwxjiw.jpg

Mr.D

Newly Enlightened
These AW18350's are very similar to UltraFire"s (orange) 18350"s

I read they have tendency to charge up to 4.2 volts and should be monitored with a voltage meter as overcharging beyond this point may damage the battery as well as fry your light engine. I already have a good multi meter and plan on picking up a trial purchase of the UltraFire on my next DX order. Let us know how you like them now that you've had a chance to cycle them in your lights.

KC_451

Newly Enlightened

I read they have tendency to charge up to 4.2 volts and should be monitored with a voltage meter as overcharging beyond this point may damage the battery as well as fry your light engine. I already have a good multi meter and plan on picking up a trial purchase of the UltraFire on my next DX order. Let us know how you like them now that you've had a chance to cycle them in your lights.

In what way do you consider them to be very similar? Susceptibility to overcharging?

rich297

Newly Enlightened

Actually, they are not very similar at all. The Ultrafire 18350 is an unprotected LiCo cell while the AW is an IMR cell (safer chemistry, no need for protection circuit). I recently replaced an Ultrafire with an AW IMR, complements of ElectronGuru, for my Mac Tri-EDC. The Ultrafire is longer than the AW cell by a millimeter or two which may or may not be a compatability issue depending on the flashlight.

There is nothing abnormal for a freshly charged Li-ion cell to be at 4.2 volts, fresh off the charger. I have a number of LiCo and IMR cells in various sizes and charge them all with either a Cottonpicker's or Pila charger. Invariably, they charge to 4.19 or 4.20 volts and from all I've read, that is safe and normal.

KC_451

Newly Enlightened
Actually, they are not very similar at all. The Ultrafire 18350 is an unprotected LiCo cell while the AW is an IMR cell (safer chemistry, no need for protection circuit). I recently replaced an Ultrafire with an AW IMR, complements of ElectronGuru, for my Mac Tri-EDC. The Ultrafire is longer than the AW cell by a millimeter or two which may or may not be a compatability issue depending on the flashlight.

There is nothing abnormal for a freshly charged Li-ion cell to be at 4.2 volts, fresh off the charger. I have a number of LiCo and IMR cells in various sizes and charge them all with either a Cottonpicker's or Pila charger. Invariably, they charge to 4.19 or 4.20 volts and from all I've read, that is safe and normal.

I couldn't have said that better. Out of curiosity I looked at the Mac Tri-EDC that you mention. I really like that one. Feel free to PM me as to the model you purchased and your experience with it. It would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
KC