The *OFFICIAL* "Thank You Tandem!" Thread!!

nbp

Flashaholic
As you all know, CPF was down for a few days last week. :mecry:

(If you don't know what I am talking about, please see the two threads in the Administrative Announcements subforum in the MarketPlace, and the thread in the AA subforum here on CPF.)

In the wake of The Great Crash, all new posts between the dates of November 2, 2010 and February 27, 2011 were lost. Fortunately, member PeaceofMind was able to retrieve a bunch of data from his Google feed reader, and forward it to member Tandem, who is a programmer by profession, and graciously volunteered his services. :clap:

If you were following along, you saw Tandem spent a HUGE amount of time parsing all the data from PoM into a format that the vBulletin software could read and helping Greta to insert this back into the CPF database. :eek: Through his tireless efforts, all 7500 new threads from that period were restored. While many subsequent posts were unfortunately lost (unavoidable side-effect), the framework for rebuilding the discussions that took place during that time are all back in place for us to participate in, as all the initial posts in those threads are there. This was a giant task!

:wow:

If THAT weren't enough, Tandem also created a program he has dubbed Déjà vu for all of us to use to grab cache data from search engines to plug back into threads of importance to us!

And if THAT weren't enough, he is STILL assisting Greta with performance adjustments and working out bugs to get CPF optimized, and has been very active the past few days in the Issues/Inquiries subforum here, answering members' questions and working out bugs in his program.

Overall, the assistance from Tandem has been nothing short of monumental! CPF as a whole owes him (and the Missus, who has tolerated his 'absence' for a number of days, no doubt!) a huge debt of gratitude for his work. :bow::bow::bow::bow:

This thread is specifically for members to recognize and thank Tandem for his extensive efforts in our behalf! Feel free to make a comment of appreciation to our computer guru and CPF savior, Tandem!

:thanks::thanks:

I also feel it would be MOST appropriate if we as a membership were to do something nice for Tandem to demonstrate our thanks. Perhaps we can send him a gift, or some funds or gift card for a night out on the town with Mrs. Tandem. Your thoughts and suggestions on this topic are certainly welcome. I would be willing to manage this if others would like, or if there is another trusted member that would be preferred by the membership, that would be fine. Please let me know what your feelings as members are on this matter, and how you might like to go about it, either by posting here or by PM if you prefer. I believe that a gift from us is the very least we can do given the time and effort that our dear member Tandem has put in for us.

THANK YOU TANDEM! :grouphug: lovecpf

@ Tandem: You my friend, are certainly welcome to chime in here, but you will absolutely not be permitted to decline any gift the membership decides to give you. :devil: So there! LOL.. :kiss:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
+1 from me to! :twothumbs

I actually thought about this a couple of days ago but didn't know how it would work.
One idea I had was that maybe a CPF dealer could ad a product called something like:
"CPF hero support fund"
It could cost $1 and when you are shopping you could ad 1 or more of this "product".
I guess it could ad up into a decent amount in a while.
Then our hero, Tandem, could get a personal discount code to use valid for an amount of money

DM51

Flashaholic
Tandem.gif

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
I dont know about you all, I dont have much...But id at LEAST like to buy him a cup of coffee!!!.But where should I send the starbucks coffee gift card to?!?!

cistallus

Enlightened
Thank you very much, Tandem, for the nice web tool you created for this. It saved me a LOT of time reposting what I was able to find, mainly in the HDS Clicky threads #12, 13, and 14.

nbp

Flashaholic
I dont know about you all, I dont have much...But id at LEAST like to buy him a cup of coffee!!!.But where should I send the starbucks coffee gift card to?!?!

Yes, this the sort of thing I had in mind. That perhaps we could send him a little something to show our appreciation for all his hard work in our behalf. An opportunity for him to take a few moments to refresh himself after having spent so much time working on this project for all of us. :)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, Tandem, for your hard work assisting with the recovery and improvements in these forums that I've come to enjoy browsing so much.

Thank you, PeaceOfMind, for supplying the data to at least recover what could be recovered.

Thank you, everyone else, who have made this such a great community to be a part of.

tandem

Enlightened
Before saying one word about this thread I want to say that Greta deserves big props for her tenacity in bringing CPF back better than ever and for the huge amount of work she always puts into this place we call home. She has to slog it out, day in, day out, with CPF issues and will still be slogging it out, day in, day out, when this episode in our community's history is but a distant memory. I get to take a step back -- she never will!

And then there are our ever patient moderators who are our stalwart defence against forum anarchy and do the job so well that it seems effortless even though it is anything but. And lets not forget our regular contributors many of whom started out as experts or have become expert and are so willing to share their knowledge. And what about all the users who are patiently going about reconstructing some of the important history. How about the search engines - two cheers for cache'd page data! Yay! Group hug! :grouphug:

Giving something back to CPF was my pleasure and, truthfully, seeing the community come back so quickly is reward enough for me. I've really enjoyed working with Greta behind the scenes on the recovery effort, and really enjoy seeing everyone back here building community again.

As for you lot, really, the thanks is enough. :)

Mike

BVH

Flashaholic
A huge THANK YOU! Tandem! Now maybe you can get some quality time in with that CellPro PL8!

A huge THANK YOU! to Greta! Now maybe you can get in more time with the doggies and your hubby!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before saying one word about this thread I want to say that Greta deserves big props for her tenacity in bringing CPF back better than ever and for the huge amount of work she always puts into this place we call home. She has to slog it out, day in, day out, with CPF issues and will still be slogging it out, day in, day out, when this episode in our community's history is but a distant memory. I get to take a step back -- she never will!

My bad. How could I forget Greta? I think I need my head examined :shakehead :duh2:

Greta

Flashaholic
I think I need my head examined :shakehead :duh2:

Given what tandem posted... "She has to slog it out, day in, day out, with CPF issues and will still be slogging it out, day in, day out, when this episode in our community's history is but a distant memory. I get to take a step back -- she never will!" ... I'm thinking I do too... :duh2: