Lenser H7

MaxdOut

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Newbie here and was interested in purchasing the H7 but was wondering if anyone has any success in modified it to run on 3AA instead of 3AAA? Also looking to try to make the battery pack hip mount instead of being on the band if that's possible.

Thanks

Szemhazai

Enlightened
It is almost impossible to do that because you have the driver in battery compartment...
h7_7.jpg

MaxdOut

Newly Enlightened
Did not know that. But I could leave the box intact and run a secondary from the terminals to a 3AA box, but would there be an issue with over amperage?

MaxdOut

Newly Enlightened
In your picture, is that a driver board or just a current adjuster (rotory resistor - not sure if that's the right term)? Since I plan on running it on high all the time would it be possible to bypass the board?

overthecrowroad

Newly Enlightened
I've done it and it's really easy to do. Just solder onto the red and black wires coming from the AAA battery terminals. Drill a hole in the case for the wire and run it to your external battery pack. Works great.

MaxdOut

Newly Enlightened
I've done it and it's really easy to do. Just solder onto the red and black wires coming from the AAA battery terminals. Drill a hole in the case for the wire and run it to your external battery pack. Works great.

That's exactly what I did too! I used a stereo extension cable and cut that in two (had it on hand). I put the female end on the case and male end on the AA battery pack. This way I can run either the AAA or AA depending on what I am doing. I ran it early today on high using freshly charge AAA Rayovac Hybrids and only got a little over an hour of run time before it was equal to my 1watt energizer AA flashlight (I think it's rated at 40-60 lumens). I am testing now to see how long it will go on 3AA. Best part is that it only cost me $2 to do the mod and that was for the 4AA holder from Radio Shack.:naughty:

Wonder how long this sucker will run on 3 D batteries.

Last edited:

MaxdOut

Newly Enlightened
On 3 AAs, to equal my 1 Watt Energizer flashlight took a little over 4 hours.