The Beast

grcmptrnrd

Newly Enlightened
In October 2003 Popular Science
BeastSmall.jpg

Full Size

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I guess it'd be nice to say you owned The Beast, but what the hell would you do with it. I get nervous using my M6 on high-output, so I know I'd be unwilling to burn (20) 123-cells at any one time.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
and as far as I know there is a serious risk of very unpleasant explosions (!!!) if you happen to have a bad cell in that cluster of lithiums, at least that's what some guys with a lot of knowledge told me. so ... this beast is certainly not for me, even if it was available ... one problem solved, I do not drool any more over this one.
bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I do not know. I have no clue about these issues in technical terms, I just learned that there are those issues, in theory even with the M6 and the KumKang ...
bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
As I understand it, you are fine provided all of the batteries used are in good working order and equal states of discharge. It's when a depleted or bunk battery is included with other good cells that problems may arise. I suspect that due to liability issues, manufacturers are quiet about the 123 cells and the cautions must be carefully written.

When KenRad brought out their PSL35 HID, they planned on selling it with both a battery eliminator and a 123 cassette which I believe holds 3 banks of 5 123's in series. When KenRad went to source cells from the battery manufacturers to provide with the light, they were told of the dangers of mixed cells and were warned not to proceed. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the battery manufacturers either refused to sell the batteries or the warning was significant to the extent that KenRad is not offering the 123 cell cassette. There seems to be some real taboos surrounding the use of both lithium and Li-Ion cells in applications where they are placed in series for higher voltage outputs. I have heard enough to have a vague unease or apprehension when it comes to large gangs of lithium cells. At the very least, I have respect for the clustered battery paks and will only use brand new cells when loading them. The Li-Ions scare me more than the 123's but caution is warranted in all cases, I think.

I can understand where a depleted rechargeable cell in a series would essentially be getting charged at a very dangerous overvoltage condition. I don't understand the chemistry to have a feel for what happens when the s$$t hits the fan; especially with the 123 cells.

It would be nice if some real facts were laid out for us to understand.

- Don

Kiessling

Flashaholic
thanx Don for helping me out and clarifying the facts. I am sure everyone appreciates when the pro's speak up ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard,

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I am no pro here. The topic of lithium safety is off topic for this thread and I don't want to shed any bad light (no pun) on the Beast. From my experience with SF, they will not be providing any product if there is concern for safety of use.

- Don

grcmptrnrd

Newly Enlightened
The big question is why would SureFire put information about a military item in a consumer magazine? I can see a few people getting ticked off when they find out they can't actually buy one...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Beast and the rechargeable Hellfire are 12V lights...I'd guess there would be some sort of protection in the 123-powered light used in conjunction of the series/parallel battery holder...

--dan

Darell

Flashaholic
grcmptrnrd -

Can I ask you to shrink up that image just a wee bit more, or put a link to it? It is big enough that many will have to scroll to read the posts.

Thanks!

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw the ad in Popular Science tonight at Barnes & Noble. I had not read about it here yet. Surefire must be considering selling this to the general public.

Is the 10X Dominator the brightest rechargeable of it size/type right now?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Define "brightest"!

SureFire say the 10X is the most powerful. Define "powerful"!

I doubt that SureFire will offer the Beasts for public release.

Al

grcmptrnrd

Newly Enlightened
Question to SureFire:

Hi,
I noticed in SureFire's ad in the October 2003 issue of Popular Science, a HID flashlight named "The Beast" is mentioned. Is this light going to be available to consumers, or is it strictly a military item? If it is, why mention it in a consumer magazine?

Response from SureFire:

Dear Mike,

Thank you for the inquiry and continued support of SureFire products. The Beast will be available to all consumers when it becomes available.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
they sound just liek Al ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Size15's

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif