Zebra H501 vs H51f

mrshish

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a small EDC headlamp and was going to pickup a H501 last year. Then with the XP-G coming I decided to hold off and wait for the new LED. After much waiting the H51 came out but I really wanted a flood so the wait continued. Now we have a H51F but it doesn't see to be the same great design as the H501 so I'm torn between the two.

What I like about the H501 was the size and convenience. I'm planning to carry this in my pocket so size is a big deal. Of course the H51F is much bright but it's also bigger and the beam isn't as nice. I plan to use it for mostly close up work since I already carry a surefire C2 as a primary light.

I think I'm leaning towards the H501 but I wanted to get some opinions and see what people are favoring.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
There are some other threads discussing just this, a search will find lots of comments.

For close up work I MUCH prefer the even illumination from my H501s (yes, I have 2) compared with the brighter central spot of my H51F. Seeing as you have another regular light I have no hesitation in recommending a H501. I also prefer the tint of the H501.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
For mostly close up work, if I'm in your shoe, I would get H501.
If you prefer higher output, I'd rather get H51 with the option of adding a diffuser to give me a pseudo H51F.

Come to think of it, that's what I'm having now....

jbrett14

Enlightened
I plan to use it for mostly close up work since I already carry a surefire C2 as a primary light.

Can't speak for the other model but I have been using my new H501 for a couple weeks now, for exactly this purpose - close up work - and all I can say is, it's perfect. It broadcasts a wonderful even amount of light within the entire area that I am working on. No more moving my head just to zero in on something specific. And it's size is awesome. Assuming this light stands the test of time, I HIGHLY recommend it for this purpose.

I'm looking forward to Spring to test it around some campsites. I'm curious how it performs while setting up a tent in the dark. But for the things I have used it for thus far - working on the insides of electrical panels, appliances, computers, etc. - it's been perfect.

Jonny

mrshish

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I think I just needed a confirmation that the 501 was the right choice. I'll order it today.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and I won't be getting rid of the H501. The pure flood is just the ticket for hands on work like setting up a tent, cooking, etc

moresnowdays

Newly Enlightened
The 501w is a really nicely made little light. Allot nicer than the Tikkina my daughter likes to steal on me. I actually bought my 501w for reading in bed so not to disturb my wife. I can say that I really like the warmer version for working up close and reading, seems easier on the eyes.

I also have the H31w, but I wouldn't use that for reading. I think it would be a little harsh.

Last edited: