Dark Sucks MC18-B

The Coach

Enlightened
So, here is what I found in my mailbox this morning. This is my new Style 3 MC18-B from Dark Sucks (I'm SO glad Jason didn't laser etch that on the side of this light :ohgeez:). It has three speeds, kind of bright, bright and VERY BRIGHT.

dscn0183.jpg

It is well made with very few machining marks on it. I really had to look with a magnifying glass to find 3. Everything is well put together, no sharp edges and the fit is outstanding.

dscn0184o.jpg

I went with the GITD green tailcap. The switch is a smooth forward clicky. The head is clean, no globs of solder or wires sticking out. The AW 18650 was included in the price.

dscn0185t.jpg

The MCE is centered nicely in the Boom reflector (funny name).

dscn0188n.jpg

Here's a picture of the light in my almost normal sized hand. It's a nice size and I like the grooves in the handle.

dscn0187m.jpg

Last picture is a few of my aluminum lights. They like their new friend.

All the specs are in the sales thread, so I won't repeat them here.
Overall, I really like this light. I think Jason did a nice job on his first offering.

Enjoy!! :devil:

Last edited:

cw_mi

Enlightened
+1 for Jason's light. I purchased one as well and think it's a well constructed light. Tint and beam are very nice.

Coach,
If you ever want to sell that Iris let me know....

archer6817j

Enlightened
The name was kind of accidental. I was talking to a friend and explaining why it makes sense to have a "good" light and he said, "oh, because dark sucks." :) I don't really intend it to be a brand name...more of an idea. Anyway, glad you guys are enjoying the lights so far!

Also, I had a chance to pressure test 3 lights on friday and all three survived 220 ft for two hours. I was pretty excited about that :)

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice light... And nice knife. It looks so familiar (like a Strider, but less angular)... I can't recognize it... Can you please let me know what it is? Thanks.

Last edited:

The Coach

Enlightened
That's the new Zero Tolerance 0551, a Rick Hinderer design. The light and the knife both came the same day.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the new Zero Tolerance 0551, a Rick Hinderer design. The light and the knife both came the same day.

Thanks! Elements of the knife look familiar, but I couldn't place it.

Must have been a nice day! To have both with the post when you got home...

cw_mi

Enlightened
Anyone else get one of these ? For those that have them , have you been using it ? Anyone plan on doing a full review on it ?

archer6817j

Enlightened
If this makes it more tempting, I now have a few XMLs in stock. T6 (S2 tint bin, 5700k) These work great with the same reflector but the LED is smaller so it doesn't fill the entire opening of the reflector like the MCE does.

recDNA

Flashaholic
dscn0187m.jpg

Last picture is a few of my aluminum lights. They like their new friend.

All the specs are in the sales thread, so I won't repeat them here.
Overall, I really like this light. I think Jason did a nice job on his first offering.

What are those aluminum lights and where did you get them? They look like titanium.

Last edited:

The Coach

Enlightened
What are those aluminum lights and where did you get them? They look like titanium.

Nope, they are all aluminum. (L to R) Ganp Griffin, McGizmo Aleph 3, DS MC18-B, Elecktrolumens EDC-MCE, Delghi Iris and Mac's Tri-EDC. Maybe it's the lighting. The first two I picked up in B,S & T and the last four I got directly from the maker.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Nope, they are all aluminum. (L to R) Ganp Griffin, McGizmo Aleph 3, DS MC18-B, Elecktrolumens EDC-MCE, Delghi Iris and Mac's Tri-EDC. Maybe it's the lighting. The first two I picked up in B,S & T and the last four I got directly from the maker.

Mac makes un ano'd Tri-EDC's?

recDNA

Flashaholic

Wow....you must coach the Jets to afford all those beauties!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like these lights- even the irreverent name ;)

Im kinda stuck on p60 lights ATM (and broke) but will keep an eye
on the new styles.

One idea is to make some less modern looking styles
and maybe some "steampunk" retro versions would be
fun. I like the XP-G one you made with the side flats in brass..

Or... one that runs on 26650 and looks like an old C-2
but aged brass? and that takes d26/36 modules?!

just throwing it out there
cool light for sho!!

archer6817j

Enlightened
Would anyone else be interested in "retro" looking lights? Not sure what exactly that would be but I'm open to suggestions! I'll play around a little and see what I can come up with.