Nikon and Canon Factories for DSLR's are GONE! Suspend All Mfg.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
FROM: Ned Redway, Redway Photo Office, On Thursday March 17, 2011 02:03 PDT

PALM DESERT, CALIFORNIA -- Normally, I do not post about, or go to anything photography related on the Internet. However, today I learned the Nikon Factory buildings which built DSLR camera bodies, professional SB 900 Series Flashes, and any professional grade lens, are gone!

Not damaged; gone! As in no they longer exist!

I was told the same for Canon, but since I do not shoot Canon, I did not confirm this

My sources told me that both Nikon and Canon have suspended all camera manufacturing operations in order for people to tend to their personal lives, and families. This is very Japanese, here in America, we may (some companies) demand people come to work, so I place this information as good, also, most of the industries in Japan are next to or near each other.

Any DSLR, lens or flash made in Japan, the buildings, machines tooling, assembly buildings everything gone.

For my company we use only the professional line of D3X & D3s and D300 series DSLR, and I have all the large super tele-photo primes Nikon makes 200.2, 300 2.8, 400 2.8 200-400 4, and now 600 4 All are the new VR series models. plus we have all of the other lenses in the current catalog with I think two exceptions, and I have two of most. I have to supply assistants who were too dumb (most Pros) to invest in digital, and Don't know how to secure projects to keep their system updated. I Can't have someone work a project for me with a D1.

Today, I had my agent locate me as many D3 series cameras (I have 8) as he can, so we will be secure for future work. We also have quite a few D300s. I skip the D700, for no real reason, they are very good cameras. I may add a few of them at this point.

Also I will add as much as I can locate, which today may not be too hard, but soon it will be very expensive.

if you want it or need it, get it!

Again made in Japan DSLR bodies, all high end f2.8 lenses, and flashes.

We hope all the people of Japan are doing well. I really do not know what to even say over this disaster.

Most respectfully,

Best wishes,

Ned Redway, Owner
Ned Redway Photography
NR Digital Productions Worldwide
www.Redwayphoto.com

Last edited:

richpalm

Banned
My sources told me that both Nikon and Canon have suspended all camera manufacturing operations in order for people to tend to their personal lives, and families. This is very Japanese, here in America, we may (some companies) demand people come to work, so I place this information as good, also, most of the industries in Japan are next to or near each other.

Just another reason the U.S. is declining.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nikon factory was located in Sendai. This is one of the cities near the coastline that was devastated. Nikon has a manufacturing facility in Taiwan. I think this is mostly for the non-professional market.

EV_007

Enlightened
Damn! I was wondering about this when I heard of the disaster.

Best wishes for the workers and people of the region.

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
Wow you know most of the time I think we take it for granted that as long as there is demand, the products we consume will continue to be available. As if all the news from Japan hasn't been tragic enough the two top names in photography are halting manufacture. This is serious stuff. As always best wishes to everyone over there in dealing with and recovering from the disaster.

X Racer

Enlightened
Nikon has stated that all of their manufacturing centers will be up and running by the end of the week ;-)

PBCH

Newly Enlightened
This is horrible. i guess many industries were affected.
The worst thing is that although it will soon dissapear from our headlines and news, it will not dissapear for them..

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if I were to believe this, it is like having a tornado destroy your home, and then say we will start rebuilding...it will take some time to get back to real production. Keep in mind they lost all tooling, assembly equipment, robotic, and computer assisted engineering equipment. Plus, all the companies who supply them with parts, or raw materials.

The 200 2.0, 300.2.8, 400.28, 200-400, and 600.4 lenses I have were always small batch runs, they only made so many a year.

Not to mention the human factor all the amazing people lost who had the talent needed to build, and QC a DSLR, or Super-Telephoto may be gone, or not return to work.

Bottom line is operations like this will take a while to be up to where they were, and in the today economy...if ever?

A real tragedy

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I didnt know about this. That is awful. As I am only an amateur hobbyist photographer, I dont think will ever own really good glass. But I do like Nikons. I only have the entry D40X and now used D100 to use non AF-S lenses.

It is a shame how the news only reports fearful crap about the nuclear plant, but things like the Nikon plant shutting down will have really large effects for the photography industry.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I didnt know about this. That is awful. As I am only an amateur hobbyist photographer, I dont think will ever own really good glass. But I do like Nikons. I only have the entry D40X and now used D100 to use non AF-S lenses.

It is a shame how the news only reports fearful crap about the nuclear plant, but things like the Nikon plant shutting down will have really large effects for the photography industry.

You are right...it is all the nuke, which is a huge problem, but many, many industries will suffer as a result.

Also, your cameras are fine! The D40X is not bad at all. The D100 has a very tough outter shell.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just came back from visiting my friend who has been a Nikkon dealer for decades. He is getting his shipments as usual now. I don't have specifics, but he is getting several DSLR's & PSs in tommorows shipment. @Foxtrot29, Nikons BCM management plan appear to be working.