LA Police Gear
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My!

Default Re: Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My!

BBQ today. Chicken breasts marinated in fresh chilli and lemon juice. Local tomato and black pepper sausages and a salad of rocket and baby spinach, together with some of Mrs Noggins potato salad.

The best bit is that there's enough left over for lunch tomorrow!
    amateurs practice ‘till they can get it right – professionals practice ‘till they can’t get it wrong

Damn that sounds good but what is rocket?

You probably know it as Arugula.

Two nations divided by a common language (I keep forgetting)!
    amateurs practice ‘till they can get it right – professionals practice ‘till they can’t get it wrong

Yeah, no kidding. Total pain is what it is. I happen to speak Spanish too and it's much worse there between Spain and Mexico

Flashaholic

BAT. Bacon Avocado Tomato. Definitely one of my favorite sandwiches if the avocado is good and it's also pretty easy/quick to make.

I also love sandwiches as a way to get rid of leftovers. One I have often is turkey sausage sliced up and covered in tomato sauce between two buttered slices of toast.

I like the BAT

Love avocados and Bacon.

When I lived in Spain I used to make a sandwich that used avocados as a spread although I used the big, green avocados instead of the little black ones. They were juicier. They have them here in the US but they have much less flavor, not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Yep, it's a shame nbp

Noggin, why not try to substitute for other stuff and see how it tastes. Sometimes it's not necessarily THE exact brand or ingredient (like March and Lidl's Chutney) but concept. Give it a shot
    I was going to say the same thing. Those brands aren't necessary, but any decent quality ingredients will do the trick. It's the combination of those items that make it good.

Quote Originally Posted by guardpost3 View Post
    Getting ready for the first camping trip of the season, I had to re-season my cast iron pie iron. Of course I had to test it when I was done...

Simple ham and cheese with a bit of mayo, well buttered.
    That looks awesome!!! I have some pie irons for making pudgie (sp?) pies as we've always called them, but they always had fruit filling, and I haven't had one in years. Using it to make a savory meaty sandwich is a great idea, it looks so gooey and cheesy and delicious. I have GOT to try that soon.

I didn't tell you boys that I design knives did I?

Nice pics George, I hope someone makes a proto of some of your drawings, they look good.

BTW, here's something I made up for breakfast this morning, using up leftovers from a cookout yesterday. Toasted/buttered bun, fried egg, melted cheese, a grilled frank, and then I put a little ketchup across it too. Very tasty actually!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Nice pics George, I hope someone makes a proto of some of your drawings, they look good.

BTW, here's something I made up for breakfast this morning, using up leftovers from a cookout yesterday. Toasted/buttered bun, fried egg, melted cheese, a grilled frank, and then I put a little ketchup across it too. Very tasty actually!

Thanks, I want someone to make the actual knives though, not pics.

Damn that hot dog looks good!

George, I don't want to nag, but have you started your walking regimen yet?

I only ask, because, it worked for me. Exercise is one third of the triangle.

Good luck brother!

Not yet brother noggin. I'm in such $hitty shape that walking is a chore and it's hotter than hell here. Not much of an excuse though considering my house has AC and I have a bike (boy, I'll never live this one down) but I hate that stuff. However, something has gotta be done. I AM eating and drinking much better though so that part's pretty good. I've already lost 50 pounds which is killer and not even on purpose. The weight just fell off. Trez cool. If I can make it down to around 200, maybe I can get rid of this crap!

Thanks for worrying bro and it's ok to nag. You are doing it for a good cause

Dutch Gouda cheese and sliced pickled onions on a white crusty roll today.

What's up - everyone else on a diet?

Super Moderator

Gouda?? Eeew No disrespect intended to our NL friends, but I'd just as soon eat a cake of soap. You're slipping, Mr. Noggin...
    Resistance is futile...

I have to admit it was a little lacking in both taste and texture (somewhere must have it on special as the fridge is full of the damn stuff), but a few of the old home made pickled onions soon sorted that out.

Mmmmmm, I like gouda. It goes well with bacon as it has that kinda smokey flavor. You Brits don't know about cheese. Come to Wisconsin, it's America's Dairyland. (I know California has more cows, more milk, blah blah blah. We're still the state that knows cheese. ) You can find whole stores devoted to cheese here. I love cheese.

Here's a little cheese shop near my house, Bieri's Cheese. They boast 150 varieties of cheese. My buddy's grandfather was a Bieri, and years ago he used to actually make the cheese and sell it in the shop. Well, he got old, and sold the place but let them keep the name as everyone knew it by that name. He has since passed away, but the shop is still there and still selling cheese, although they don't make any there anymore. They also make great deli sandwiches!! If you click on the sandwich menu you can see them. DM51, I think you may like the Firesale Special quite a bit. My favorite is What Wayne Would Have.

nbp - Bieri's sounds fantastic - the sandwich menu had me dribbling - I'm glad I live several thousand miles away, or I'd be in there every day.

I also like the sound of the habanero and jalapeno cheeses - I don't think they would survive being sent through the post though!

Super Moderator

You Brits don't know about cheese. Come to Wisconsin
    Mrs. DM51 is French so I get to hear all about cheese, LOL.

Where's Wisconsin? Is it near Yellowknife, NWT? I went there once, on my way north. Only 1 bar in the entire town.

DM51, I think you may like the Firesale Special quite a bit
    I have to admit, it sounds pretty good... [droooool]
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

I'm in such $hitty shape that walking is a chore and it's hotter than hell here.
    Exercise does a number of amazing things for the body, including increasing insulin sensitivity. There is no medicine out there that has the wide spread benefits that exercise has, and exercise has no side effects (besides temporary soreness and fatigue, but that's a good feeling). Some bland sandwiches I like to eat to lose a few pounds or stay in shape are...
    1. Tuna on whole wheat (mayo if you must).
    2. Turkey breast (BBQ seasoning) on whole wheat.
    3. Chicken breast (BBQ seasoning) on whole wheat.
    They are very tasty if you are hungry. Also be careful if you buy wheat bread, many "wheat breads" number 1 ingredient is refined flour. If you want true wheat bread look at the ingredients, usually the package says "100% whole wheat" or "100% whole grain".
    Last edited by TyJo; 06-16-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganoggin View Post
    nbp - Bieri's sounds fantastic - the sandwich menu had me dribbling - I'm glad I live several thousand miles away, or I'd be in there every day.

I also like the sound of the habanero and jalapeno cheeses - I don't think they would survive being sent through the post though!
    Yes, they do a nice job with their sammies. And it's such a quaint little place. The Bieris were Swiss, so I suppose they know something of cheese as well. They do ship cheeses around, although I didn't see anything about overseas shipping on the website. If you were to order during a colder month like say November or December, I would think you would have a good chance of it arriving in decent shape. Assuming they would ship to UK. Otherwise, if they felt it would survive but didn't want to ship it, I could pick it up their and ship it to you, then they don't bear any responsibility if it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Mrs. DM51 is French so I get to hear all about cheese, LOL.

Where's Wisconsin? Is it near Yellowknife, NWT? I went there once, on my way north. Only 1 bar in the entire town.

I have to admit, it sounds pretty good... [droooool]
    Uhhh, no. That's really far from me. I had to Google it just to find out where in Canada that is. Wisconsin is the state on the west side of Lake Michigan. You'll have to bust out your globe I guess. Here is the state's official tourism site if you want to find some things to do the next time you are in town. If there was only one bar in the town, you definitely weren't in WI. Beer is the other thing this state does well. I love good beer, but unfortunately we are consistently ranked top 10 for drunkest states.

The Mrs. is French hey? Do you like Brie cheese? I love it! Spread on crusty bread, mmmmmmmm.

I once had this baked thing which was like phyllo dough I think, with a block of Brie and some sort of raspberry preserves inside. The flaky crust coupled with the cheese and fruit inside, was actually quite interesting. Different, but good. See if Mrs. 51 will make you one.....and then invite me over.

Man, ya'll've been busy (I think I made that word up or rather, writing it like that) while I was out trying to get my insulin on

As for me, I like just about all cheeses although there is a Danish cheese that is so damn stinky, I never got close enough to try it

nbp, I don't want to hear any nonsense about Wisconsin and cheese (me being European 'n all). Are those 150 varieties from Wisconsin or is most of it foreign?

Thanks TyJo. They told me to exercise but never told me why. I'm supposed to go to diabetic class but haven't been yet. I guess they'll go into detail over there.

I've been buying some kind of whole wheat bread that I really like and I make sammiches with VERY little butter (yes, I know but it's very little) ham and cheese. Very tasty actually. Added some cukes last night and they got even better. I cut all the edges off and there's actually not all that much bread left after I've done that. This sucks by the way.

I got me a LITTLE bit of orange juice tonight and damn near OD'd

nbp, I was wondering what DM was talking about when he said Yellowknife and NWT and I'm thinkin', NWT? Isn't that Australia and Yellowknife isn't in Australia but now I get it

I love Brie but my problem is I can't leave it alone long enough for it to soften up. I'm a cheese swine. I could eat myself to death on cheese and if I could eat that stuff without dying and I had the money, I'd eat cheese all day long. Brie or camembert or however you spell it with grapes is great and in Sweden, they fry it with cloud berries. Good stuff. http://www.krig.eu/Mat/Matbilder/camembert_2.jpg Dunno what the green stuff is but it's prolly just extra bling or something.

If you're going to see DM, I wanna come

Man, ya'll've been busy .........

Mmmmm, cheese. I made a good sandwich the other day of a couple kinds of cheese, some mayo and some hummus on Italian bread. It was quite nice!

Where are you originally from George, if you don't mind telling? You seem to have lived in so many places I can't keep it straight You could write a book of all your adventures! How about "Eating My Way Around the World", by Guiri. Hehehe.

Yes, soft spreadable cheeses are a delight. Some warm French bread and a slab of Brie is very very good. I never had a cloud berry, but I like the name! I'd eat it if it was available.

I definitely think we should visit DM! FIELD TRIP! FIELD TRIP! We can play with all his flashlights, and have Mrs. DM cook for us, and I think he has some nice daughters who can show us all the cool places to see around town! What'ya say DM???

You know we love ya Mr. 51.

Ok, maybe I wouldn't actually kiss ya....maybe just a hug.

And some some good brew.

On a totally unrelated but awesome note, tomorrow I am going to make my very first batch of homebrew! My first attempt will be an Irish red. I am so excited, and I can't stand the fact that I will have to wait 4 weeks to drink it!!

Good luck on the brew, homemade stuff is cool. I used to make wine for awhile and it turned out pretty good

Of course, one day I kinda broke the big glass thingie with the wine in it and it poured out. Had to clean it up before I went to school...and...the room wasn't ventilated...well, you get the idea, hehehe

I actually had an idea about a tv show where I would travel around and find good recipes and of course, starting with my own.

I was born in Bulgaria, moved to Sweden when I was eight and lived there around 25 years. Moved to Spain for a few years and met my wife in a chat room while I was in Spain and moved here and since most people eventually ask, the answer is yes, all four and fluently

As for going to see DM, I think we could all descend on him like locusts. I think his wife would appreciate that

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

raiding dms crib.. hmm yes, but only if there is bread an butter to be had.

im hungry for a sandwitch. (11.30pm) and once again.. i logged into cpf to read this thread.

im having basic butter on wholewheatrye and potato bread "loaf".. topped up with fresh spanish tomatoes, finnish cucumberslices, meat from grilled chicken leg and couple very thinly sliced pork ham slices..

the loaf is actually called Limppu.. and here is the generalisation what wikipedia says about it:

Traditional Eastern Finnish rye bread is called "limppu". The closest translation to English would be loaf, but that does not actually describe the round, bulbous bread that is actually known as limppu, and could cause confusion as rectangular loaves are also available and are not called limppu. This bread is dark, sour in taste, dense, heavy and comparatively dryish. Its mouthfeel still remains soft enough to be bitten off easily, and leavening is easily discernible even by eye. This kind of bread was usually produced at steady intervals throughout the year, whereas Western Finnish tradition stressed rare baking sessions combined with long-term storage.
    Limppu is common in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan due to the high level of Finnish immigrants. Limppu can be served in many pubs and diners across the peninsula

the bread is called Varilimppu, local bread company makes it, and its based on old farmer/country peoples bread recipes. ingredients are: Wheat flour, water, wholemeal rye flour, potato, rye malt, sugar, treacle, yeast and salt.

the potato in it makes it less dry and little more sweetish and this particual one is not that dense in texture as the "official" limppu-breads are either.. its got enough flavor to fill my taste buds as is or with butter alone (but like said before.. i dont need many toppings on my bread.. on best, my upper lip is enough, hahahh.)

anyways.. enough of useless info.. i go make another bread for myself. (one with butter and ham only)
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Just came back from a camping trip. Plan was to cook on an open fire, using my Dutch oven. However the weather really put a stop to that, biblical rain that lasted from Friday lunch time through to Sunday morning meant that trail mix and flavoured vodka was the main sustenance. I learnt that fire steels are really difficult to use in the proper wet and you should always have a plan B when camping.

Oh well - we had a good time, I got to evaluate a lot of lights for camping and we have just had a really nice Panang style chicken curry, and the tent has dried out!

Nonsense, Limpa is a loaf of bread in Swedish

If we went to DM's house, he'd have to stock up in advance or there would be hell to pay. I'm sure March could help him stock the fridge up. Yall could get some beers while I violate the fridge.

Noggin, so fire steels are hard in the wet? That's interesting as I recently bought one.

Super Moderator

Here in Vladivostok, we don' need no stinkeen fridges LOL
    Resistance is futile...

I noticed the other day that your location changed DM....presumably to confuse our plans to find you!

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

jag vet det.

and.. i dont drink beer.. so i will likely be right beside you looking into the fridge and cupboards whats edible.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

DM51 stealth moderator, his fridge is impregnable!

Right on nonsense

DM, you can run but you can't hide.

Yohooo...where IS everyone...?

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast