Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
No doubt many remember us having brutally hijacked and OTd this thread, eventually posting some 250 times regarding bread, butter, sandwiches and other condiments and spreads. It was a delight! :drool:

Rather than resurrect that one only to kill its true intent again, I'd like to start a new thread having to do with all things sandwichey; breads, spreads, sprouts, krauts, mustard, custard, butter, whatever! What sort of sandwiches do you like, what do you put on them, and how much do you love bread?

Hi, I'm Nick, and I love sandwiches. :grouphug:

Aaaaaaaaaand GO! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Was that the thread where George gave us around 800 recipes for bread & scrape? Don't tell me we lost all those - aaargh! LOL

nbp

Flashaholic
Was that the thread where George gave us around 800 recipes for bread & scrape? Don't tell me we lost all those - aaargh! LOL

Yes, the real disaster that resulted from the Great Crash!

Not the loss of everything we knew about the XM-L, but our favorite ways to butter bread! :crackup:

I have already officially invited George to join us here; I await his arrival. :popcorn:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I like sandwiches, when I was a kid I loved PB & banana & mayo. :drool:

Now that I am a big kid, the more meat the better. Corned beef piled high (4-5") on rye with spicy mustard.... So good!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Present and accounted for and thanks for the invite :)

I may be too ugly to get laid but at least I still get invited to food parties, weeee :)

Don't worry DM, we may have lost the posts but we haven't lost the posterS

I'm George and I love bread!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Angel, where in South Cackelackie are you? I'm only 20 mins north of Pageland.

As for the maters, a few years ago I planted some of my own and got this incredible amount of them (cherry tomatoes). Sweet and juicy.

I estimate I got around 1000-1500 of them little suckers. Well, here's what I did and I did this mostly at work 'cause in those days, I had an actual job (yes, it sucks but I couldn't help it).

Anyway, I had this cool *** toaster oven I bought at a local auction. Huge and retro 'n stuff. Anyway, I used to bring the frozen take 'n bake bread from Food Lion (frozen french baguette) which I'm sure I mentioned in the original thread (that we derailed all to hell).

Well, I'd thaw it and cook it in the toaster oven and then after it cooled down, I sliced it in half and put the land o lakes butter (in plastic container which I also mentioned before) on it, then cream cheese and now I would fill the whole sammich (both halves) with them little maters, BUT, since they are so small and round, they would roll off so I had to slice them all in half and put them upside down on the sammich.

I counted and it would usually take around 30 of them to fill the sammich. Talk about patience to make a sammich like that and cut 30 of them itty bitty suckers in half but boy, it was incredible. Oh, and some salt on top.

If someone decides to do it, make sure you try to find the right maters. I got them at lowe's and they had something like 100 or 1000 in the name. The others I've tried weren't as good.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on boys, lets not forget 'Lidls Mango Chutney' ... It is magic with Extra Mature Cheddar cheese in thick 'tocks' of that brown bread with all the seeds and husks inside it ... Now that is a sandwich ...
Probably more suitable for Women as Mens mouths don't open that wide ...
evilgrin07.gif

ypsifly

Enlightened
Head Cheese.

Two words that really shouldn't go together, but it tastes so damn good. I like the hot variety on white with cheddar.

I had a good sandwich a few days ago. Smoked turkey and gouda with romaine and my own cranberry honey dijon on a fresh pretzle roll.

Cranberry Honey Dijon:

Ingredients:

8 Cups Honey
3 Cups Dijon Mustard
4 Cups Cranberries {I.Q.F.}

Method:

• Mix all together
  • Puree` with hand blender

Yield :

16 cups
Portion size 2 ounce
Number of Portions 64

You might want to scale it down....or not. I swiped it from my database at work. IQF means frozen.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
uuu.. butter thread is back! two is one, one is none but butter is better! you are butter off with it than without!

and this wonderful reply was my One Thousandth Message (the number 2 actually.. the crash lost the 1st)
:wave::party::party::huh::duh2:and:shakehead
butter for everyone! beeing good jolly good fellow i offer it with some ryebread too! :devil::party:

Last edited:

vasp1

Newly Enlightened
Take one slice of brown bread.

Apply a thin layer of butter (of course).

Apply a thin layer of mayonnaise.

Apply a thin layer of shredded iceberg lettuce.

Apply two slices of ripe plum tomato.

Sprinkle salt and pepper over the tomato.

Add some finely chopped mild red onion over the tomato.

Add a few slices of ripe avocado -it should have a buttery texture for best results.

Drizzle a little olive oil over the avocado.

Add two or three slices of crispy bacon (hot or cold) over the avocado

Apply a final layer of shredded iceberg lettuce.

Finish off with another slice of buttered brown bread.

The ideal accompaniment is a nice cup of strong tea with skimmed milk and sugar.

After you've eaten and imbibed, carry on enjoying your XM-L, XP-G R5 or other LED of your choice.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably more suitable for Women as Mens mouths don't open that wide ...
evilgrin07.gif

The truth is the truth and that's just the way it is. However, either send some chutney over here or never mention it again and yes, this is a threat! :twak:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap vasp, that sounds good :)

My mouth's watering :)

Some info for those that don't know much about avocados. The green kind are usually juicier although I have found the black and wrinkly kind to be a little tastier but more dry, at least here in the US.
In Spain I used to use the green avocados as a spread instead of butter when I was trying to live healthy and I posted this recipe in the original thread. If someone wants it and they have access to good, green avocados (or the other kind I suppose) let me know and I'll post it.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I was raised on peanut butter and banana as well as buttered bread and cheese sandwiches. My granny often also made us pineapple and cheese sandwiches that were actually pretty good.

I still often like a good grill cheese with lots of butter and sharp cheddar cheese. The good block style of chedder cheese that you have to cut yourself is best to me.

Also as a child my brother and I loved to take sugar frosted flakes and peanut butter and make a sandwich. Sounds crazy however it is very tasty.

As an adult I still will eat those old favorites at times however usually go for some type of turkey or ham while working. At home I will use the honey baked ham or smoked turkey and always enjoy cheddar rather than swiss or american. Oddly enough we have a very cheap brand of meat here made by Carl Buddig and I believe a single pack cost something like 1.25 . It is thin pressed and salty however the only one I like is the beef and it is much better than all others I have tried.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop, cheaper isn't always worse (the meat you were talking about). Also, I think we like sweet stuff more when we're kids.

The frosted flakes on bread reminds me of the movie the Breakfast Club where she does something similar. Puts flakes on bread and just beats the $hit outta it with her hand :)

I'm a foreigner myself and one of my favorite sammiches here are BLT's and it never fails to amaze me how good it is with just so few ingredients. Whoever came up with it really hit it out of the park.
I love'em and if it weren't for the fact that bacon is such a pain to cook, I'd eat'em more often.

GEorge

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I love all sandwiches, but my frequent quickie is as follows:

Fold a paper towel in half and place two pieces of bread on top.
Add mustard and hot pepper flakes to bread. Top with cheese.
Add lunchmeat of choice. Microwave for 30 seconds.
Fold and enjoy.

Geoff

nbp

Flashaholic
Some great ideas in here guys! Sounds delicious! (A few have made me go :sick2: though too...head cheese?!) Keep the great discussion rolling. :thumbsup:

If I may, I'd like to wax poetic on the topic of the sandwich for a moment:

My Take on the Sandwich

I think that one of the things that makes the sandwich such a delight is the humble, unpretentious and non-prejudicial way it goes about its business of crushing hunger. It is simple and understated, yet sophisticated and elegant.

Steak and lobster get lots of glory, people pay lots of money for these treats; the sandwich not so much. Yet, when you leave for work in the morning with your Scooby-Doo lunchbox packed, it's not steak that's inside there. When you have the guys over to watch the game on Sunday afternoon, it's not lobster you're washing down with copious amounts of brew. That's right, the sandwich is there for you, ready and willing to curb hunger anytime, anywhere.

A fabulous sandwich can be made by almost anyone, regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, religion or social status. High quality sandwich ingredients are widely available, are not typically very expensive, and can consist of nearly anything that fits between two pieces of bread. Meat, cheese, fish, eggs, vegetables, legumes, they are all welcome in sandwich's world. Sandwich makes no statements of "You are not allowed on me!" If you like it on there, sandwich will accommodate you. While steak is on its soapbox, condemning the idea of sauce being placed atop its perfectly seared surface :scowl:, sandwich is shouting, "Come aboard, the bread is big enough for all!" Maybe the rest of us could learn a lesson or two from the sandwich. :)

And the sandwich has a truly uncanny ability to satiate even the most hardcore of appetites. Sandwich imposes no height or weight restrictions, and certainly doesn't gouge you because you want an extra slice of cheese, or an additional dollop of mayo. Sandwich can become anything you need it to be to satisfy your need for sustenance. And it does it all in a delicious, convenient and fun to eat package. A finely prepared sandwich will hold its own in utils of satisfaction against nearly any other food.

Hooray for the sandwich! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.