Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 222526272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My!

Sorry but Pineapple on a pizza just isn't right. No way no how.

Default Re: Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My!

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Nick, I want that steak and yes, welcome!

George

I feel like I'm kinda of late to the party, but the party is still going .
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Acid87 View Post
    Sorry but Pineapple on a pizza just isn't right. No way no how.

You, my friend are missing out. Ham and pineapple, don't knock it till you try it. Sweet 'n salty 'n savory, all together. It's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fisk-king View Post

I feel like I'm kinda of late to the party, but the party is still going .
    Better late than never! You'll notice that it's kinda the same handful of us around us, but we have fun. We like food, but basically we talk about anything. Meganoggin, Guiri, Nonsence, DM51, Acid87, march.brown. (Hope I didn't forget anyone) Those are the regulars, but some fresh faces are always good.

Blimey! I have a day off and it kicks off on the thread! Pizzas - Hinderereresss - Steaks.... Hello Nick - nice knife.

Strangely enough I bought a pizza oven and made my first ones at the weekend, they were very good. Just cheese, a nice sauce and chilli. It was nice to sit outside in the dark with a wood fire, a few Surefires and a pizza (oh and a beer).

I'll take pictures of the next batch.
    amateurs practice ‘till they can get it right – professionals practice ‘till they can’t get it wrong

Super Moderator

May the fleas of a thousand camels nest in your left nostril
    Not a chance. One good sneeze, and they'd all be blown away.
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

Ha! it was the mention of the Stork then! glad to see you still on the run DM.. or was it around.. hah.

----
    sharp knives on steak.. i fear for the china.. the plate will look scarred soon nice looking dish though.. soo.. what is that potato dish then.. how is it made? never heard of such (i think)

----
    and noggin.. just eating your surefires and drinking beer and lighting the area with the pizza? (sorry.. im tired.. barely slept last night just couldnt fall asleep)
    ----

today morning/afternoon breakfast: french baguette (half done version that i had to put into oven myself to finish it up..came up rather nice)
    butter on top.. fried egg.. then some creek flavored/style meatballs.. then tall glass of milk.

now for dinner/lunch going to get some chicken legs out of the oven and rice. and milk of course. pint or two..
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Nuke one bake potato in microwave (preferably in soaked paper towel)

In a bowl mix following ingredients:
    1c. of sour cream
    1 c. Of sharp shredded cheese
    Bacon bits
    Black pepper
    Dash of salt
    Italian seasoning
    Garlic paste (a little goes along way but I love garlic)
    Basil paste

Mix together. After potato is finish *nuking*, (pre heat oven to 350) open down the middle and spoon out potato and place in above mixture. Stir and spoon out mixture into the potato shell. Bake for 15-20min.

You can add more stuff as I did ( tumeric & cholula hot sauce). Its very good.
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganoggin View Post
    Blimey! I have a day off and it kicks off on the thread! Pizzas - Hinderereresss - Steaks.... Hello Nick - nice knife.

Strangely enough I bought a pizza oven and made my first ones at the weekend, they were very good. Just cheese, a nice sauce and chilli. It was nice to sit outside in the dark with a wood fire, a few Surefires and a pizza (oh and a beer).

All those fine SFs you have, I'm sure there's a pretty folder in there somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Not a chance. One good sneeze, and they'd all be blown away.
    I don't think so boss. Have you ever seen a flea? They have claws to hold on to your delicious fleshy parts with. (BTW, don't Google Image "fleas".. You will be itching all over. )

(Not my pic)

Nick - I love twice baked potatoes! More bacon and cheese makes everything better!

On a side note, another member saw that I was interested in an XM18 and said he'd try to grab me one at a knife show Rick is exhibiting at in a couple weeks. How cool is that?! ::

very nice. I thought about the xm-24 but thats way to big for me . They look nice though..

Yessir! Do so..

Quote Originally Posted by NonSenCe View Post
    Ha! it was the mention of the Stork then! glad to see you still on the run DM.. or was it around.. hah.

today morning/afternoon breakfast: french baguette (half done version that i had to put into oven myself to finish it up..came up rather nice)
    butter on top.. fried egg.. then some creek flavored/style meatballs.. then tall glass of milk.

now for dinner/lunch going to get some chicken legs out of the oven and rice. and milk of course. pint or two..
    Around, on the run...we'll catch him one day..

That sammich sounds good Nonsence.

Anyway, tried a new way of frying eggs. Anyone love fried eggs, let me know and I'll explain. We'll, I've kinda done this before but it's been awhile.

Nuke one bake potato in microwave (preferably in soaked paper towel)
    What's the paper towel for bro?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I don't think so boss. Have you ever seen a flea? They have claws to hold on to your delicious fleshy parts with. (BTW, don't Google Image "fleas".. You will be itching all over. )
    On a side note, another member saw that I was interested in an XM18 and said he'd try to grab me one at a knife show Rick is exhibiting at in a couple weeks. How cool is that?! ::
    Dunno about that nbp, the way I sneeze, I might get'em out. Not a joke, I sneeze so violently that when I sit in the truck and sneeze, I have to brace for it because when I do, it kinda pops my back
    and it's a pretty $hitty feeling 'cause I've got a REALLY bad back and it takes nothing to throw it out and then I'll have to crawl on all four to to the bathroom stall and into it and pee like a dog.
    Yes, TRUE story and for those who think I'm a pansy, I'd like to add that I DO have a high tolerance for pain so yes, when my back's out, it hurts like hell (well, sometimes anyway).

As for fleas, I got rid of that disgusting pic while replying, it grossed me out AND, my house has been flea infested for six months

As for the member picking up something for you, yes, there are some very cool people in some of these forums.

Anyway, I did the multi quote thing...YALL HAPPY?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    All those fine SFs you have, I'm sure there's a pretty folder in there somewhere.... :
    I have a few ZT's lying around and I'm waiting on a couple to be released.....
    amateurs practice ‘till they can get it right – professionals practice ‘till they can’t get it wrong

Flashaholic*

We have got some ceramic bladed knives in the kitchen ... Once you realise how sharp they are , you use less bandages and plasters on your fingers ... We have five assorted and I use them all the while , but "her indoors" insists on using a small Kitchen Devil knife with a chip out of the stainless blade and a plastic handle ... Its the one she prefers and she won't accept that the ceramic ones are better.

Ceramic blades do have their disadvantages ... If they fall onto a stone floor , they will shatter ... Also the edge is very hard and will cut into the crockery or the kitchen work surface ... Since the only thing harder than ceramic is diamond , they can't be sharpened with a steel and the proper sharpener is very expensive in the UK ... But they are very light to handle and I like them ... I used to sharpen the old knives at least once every couple of weeks , but the ceramic ones are still as good as new ... It is advised to cut on a wooden or plastic board to avoid damage and that is what I do ...

My Wife thinks that I am obsessed with knives ... I just like using good tools.

I have often looked at those ceramic bladed knives. I have a set of Global knives that I really like so I think Mrs Noggin would object to any more kitchen knives.

Come to think about it, she will probably object to any more ZT knives as well, good job they all look nasty and the same!

Here is my take on knives dudes and this is just MY theory and I haven't researched it on anything so take it for what it is.

I have a knife that I got in Sweden years ago with a very thin (compared to the french and german carbon steel knives) blade making the knife very light and unlike other kitchen knives, it does not rust.
    It could also be made VERY sharp and I think sharper than those THICK butcher like french and german high carbon steel knives.

I had a guy in Sweden that used to sharpen it so well, it could cut through a very ripe tomato simply by putting it on top and pulling the knife across, NO pressure and again, this knife is much lighter than a carbon knife of equal length.

I got a ceramic knife from Ikea here in the US and liked it till I tore it up trying to chop through a bone which chipped it. Bought an identical looking knife from a low cost store and it was NOT as sharp as this one so I don't use it.

My take on this is that I think the reason the high carbon steel knives and the ceramic knives hold an edge so well is that if you look closely, the structure is rougher and therefore act as a fine saw blade, much like the knives they've been offering for years that cut through cans 'n stuff.

The stainless swedish blade looks and feels much smoother to me.

Anyway, I did the multi quote thing...YALL HAPPY?
    No doubleposting!!!

j/k ;-)

I've been ramen-ing lately. Ramen, handful of frozen veggies, poach an egg in the middle for the last minute, some fish cake or beef or hotdog, voila!

Wonton soup season is near...

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    No doubleposting!!!
    Well dammit!

Hey, I love wanton soup. They used to have great wontons at my local chinese buffet. I used to eat the $hit outta them. They´d see me and start hollerin' "WONTON" to the cooks to make sure there was enough.
    Then about a year ago, they started screwing them up and I haven't eaten any in a long time. Every so often I try them, just to make sure but they still suck

In Austria, they've got something called Knödel Suppe. Soup with some kind of dough balls or something (it's been 30 years ago so the details are somewhat cloudy) and it tastes great

Try a scoop of cheap peanut butter in yer ramen!
    It adds tons of body n flavor.

Austrian noodle zuppe, now you're talking, starts off looking like a light noodle broth, then the weight of the dumplings kicks in and makes it a very filling dish. Nice.

Just had a beef stroganoff, served it up before it was fully cooked out, so not really perfect, but the alternative was eating at stupid o clock. Still, should be fine tomorrow as left overs.

Today I had a lovely homemade soup with Veg and honey roast ham in it. There had been a cinnamon loaf in the bag which had seemed to sweeten the soup. Very good comfort food at a rough period in my life.
    First bit of food I've eaten in a few days so it tasted much nicer.

Flashaholic*

you makin me hungry again.. and i just ate! (leg of a chicken +couple of those greek-meatballs, boiled potatoes, greenpepper flavored brownsauce)

dumplingsoups.. bring back memories of my grandad. this is very similar to one he used to do: and yes.. it is a local dish of this area as said in the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/finnish-b...finland-375146

(we use carrots too and there are other differences.. like often we have cow beef and bones and add moose meat too. oh well, i just dont bother to go and see the recipe at the moment.. variations do happen, but this sounds pretty right to me.)

-should really do it again. its just one of those foods that take some time to do.
    ---didnt we talk about these knödel soups while ago too.. and i wanted to make one then too? hahah

--------
    and that twice baked potato.. hmm.. sounds nice and full of flavor.. one can just boil the potatoes beforehand too. (im lousy at those.. pre cooking things and then im supposed to make something else out of it. -no. im hungry now. and if its edible now. i eat it. i cant wait for the "real" cooking happen. hahaha)

and guiri: the wet towel or paper around it.. makes it like its kinda protected and boiled in steam of sorts.. keeps it fresh and less dry. microwave just moves water molecules and keeping one in makes it loose humidity and heat up. its a quick way to get a potato done if one dont want to wait for the boiling them. not as tasty but quick.

----.-----
    ceramic knives.. not into those. yet. i like steel. and i dont want to go searching for a chip of ceramic in my food. hahah. sometimes the hunt of led is tiring enough. hahah. this said.. i have handled and fondled carmic chefs knife several times ..so i know i will eventually get one for try out.
    ---------
    swedes know how to make good steel.. they can do it rather cheaply too.. just look at their cheap mora knives.. they outclass many higher priced competitors by quite a margin in my mind.
    -----

oooh.. why dont we talk more about good kitchen knives? one that always intrigues me (along with those ceramic toys) is victorinox chefs/cooks knives.. they just seem to be good feel and value in hand. not too long or heavy or wide bladed. (i like my "big" kitchen knife to be on small side, because of the versatility and light weight.. im not that handy so i dont want a big chugger like most chefs knives seem to be. or their balance feels like it is way off for my liking.

dont have a good kitchen chefs knife yet.. yes i know.. shame on me.

or.. i might have a good cooks knives, the ones i do use and like.. i just dont know if they are good or name brand.. hah. they are old, well used, worn and dont have any name or tag in them. i just like them.. they get sharp and dont rust that much and their size weight is good.. the balance is also good. they just arent the size of normal "chefs knife" they are smaller in width and length. i just prefer to use a knife i know and how it handles on pretty much every task.. i have general user, filet knife and small knife.. hah. no boning knife, chefs knife, etc.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Has anyone been keeping with this asteroid that's suppose to pass between Earth & the moon tonite? To *celebrate* this occasion cooked up some salmon, butter rice and okra & watching Melancholia. Lol, figured the movie was fitting for this event.

Edit: sorry for the bad pic.

Last edited by fisk-king; 11-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.

You need to fix up the lighting in your kitchen if you need a RA for cooking!

Okra rice looks really good though.

Flashaholic*

I got a ceramic knife from Ikea here in the US and liked it till I tore it up trying to chop through a bone which chipped it. Bought an identical looking knife from a low cost store and it was NOT as sharp as this one so I don't use it.
    My set of three knives are a 3"Paring , 5" Utility and 6" Cooks knife called "Taylors Eye Witness" ... They have white blades ... They retail at from Ł50 to Ł60 , but I had mine from TKMaxx for Ł25 ... I also have two others of a different make with black blades ... According to the instructions , you have to avoid dropping onto hard surfaces ... Use wooden or plastic chopping boards and hand wash only ... Avoid using on meat bones or as a cleaver ... Avoid using blades to crush foods ... So the ceramic blades won't do everything that a metal blade will do.

I just liked the idea that they are very hard (second only to diamonds) and being ceramic , they won't give a metallic taint to the food ... Time will tell if they really will do everything that I want them to ... I use them for cutting up fruit each morning and for cutting up / peeling vegetables plus making sandwiches etc ...

It is strange (with the white blades) to see light passing through a knife blade ... You can see the Logo through the blade if you hold the knives up to a light (or a torch).

I have kept the old steel knives just in case.

Just had Toulouse sausage, tomato and spinach casserole with pearl barley and chunks of crusty bread. Really filling, easy to make and very tasty! Lots of leftovers too, the pearl barley kept absorbing all the liquid and when I added water it kept on growing.

+1 on the peanut butter and ramen.

Also, I only use Sanyo Eneloops (or Duraloops) and the only cell I use in my flashlights that isn't a Sanyo 2600mAh is an IMR cell I have.

Therefore, the logical choice in ramen is the Sappuro Ichiban from Sanyo. I dig the oriental flavor.

Also, nissin makes these things called Chow Meins. Thai Peanut (+ peanut butter for extreme Win) and teriyaki beef are the best flavors.

Ok, enough of the cheap survival food. Back to the pictures of tasty good stuff that I can't cook!

I have a few ZT's lying around and I'm waiting on a couple to be released.....
    Too bad you can't carry them, eh? Little slipjoints only for you redcoats.

Here is my take on knives dudes and this is just MY theory and I haven't researched it on anything so take it for what it is.

I have a knife that I got in Sweden years ago with a very thin (compared to the french and german carbon steel knives) blade making the knife very light and unlike other kitchen knives, it does not rust.
    It could also be made VERY sharp and I think sharper than those THICK butcher like french and german high carbon steel knives.

I had a guy in Sweden that used to sharpen it so well, it could cut through a very ripe tomato simply by putting it on top and pulling the knife across, NO pressure and again, this knife is much lighter than a carbon knife of equal length.

My take on this is that I think the reason the high carbon steel knives and the ceramic knives hold an edge so well is that if you look closely, the structure is rougher and therefore act as a fine saw blade, much like the knives they've been offering for years that cut through cans 'n stuff.

The stainless swedish blade looks and feels much smoother to me.
    I have heard good things about the Swedish Mora knives. Very inexpensive, but they are supposed to be great utility knives and sharpen up really well. On "Dual Survival", primitive living expert Cody Lundin carries this old ratty Mora around his neck in all these terrible environments and has to survive with survival expert partner Dave Canterbury. Every episode I slap my forehead and tell him to get a new knife, but then he goes to cut something and slices and dices like he's carrying a Sebbie. So, who's the dummy? Clearly the dude knows how to put a wicked edge on the thing. I may have to pick up one of these Moras as a cheap camp knife, maybe I'm the one missing out.

Well dammit!

Hey, I love wanton soup. They used to have great wontons at my local chinese buffet. I used to eat the $hit outta them. They´d see me and start hollerin' "WONTON" to the cooks to make sure there was enough.
    Then about a year ago, they started screwing them up and I haven't eaten any in a long time. Every so often I try them, just to make sure but they still suck

In Austria, they've got something called Knödel Suppe. Soup with some kind of dough balls or something (it's been 30 years ago so the details are somewhat cloudy) and it tastes great
    That is LOL funny George! WONTON!!!

This older German lady I know, kinda like a grandma, makes this soup she calls "pancake soup". It's kind of a chicken noodle soup, but it has these thick strips of what is basically like a sliced up unsweetened pancake in it. They hold together pretty well, and soak up broth, and it's really awesome. Very hearty and filling. That makes me hungry just now. MMmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by NonSenCe View Post
    --------
    and that twice baked potato.. hmm.. sounds nice and full of flavor.. one can just boil the potatoes beforehand too. (im lousy at those.. pre cooking things and then im supposed to make something else out of it. -no. im hungry now. and if its edible now. i eat it. i cant wait for the "real" cooking happen. hahaha)

swedes know how to make good steel.. they can do it rather cheaply too.. just look at their cheap mora knives.. they outclass many higher priced competitors by quite a margin in my mind.

I have a hard time waiting for things to be done too. I have eaten many, many, many cold dishes because I am too hungry and impatient to put things back in the oven or microwave after discovering that the center was still cold. Eh, whatever, it's still food.

My thoughts on Moras above. Go Sweden! (And Norway..that's the land of Nonsence, right?)

Has anyone been keeping with this asteroid that's suppose to pass between Earth & the moon tonite? To *celebrate* this occasion cooked up some salmon, butter rice and okra & watching Melancholia. Lol, figured the movie was fitting for this event.

Edit: sorry for the bad pic.

That salmon looks amazing! I want I want I want!!

Here's a quick and easy dinner I had tonight. Looks not so good, tastes pretty good. A recipe so easy a caveman can do it:

1. Find baked potato in fridge
    2. Slice 'tato down the middle and mash guts
    3. Find leftover beef stroganoff in fridge
    4. Pour stroganoff on 'tato
    5. Heat mound of food in microwave 2 minutes on high, or until you can't wait anymore
    6. Eat food with favorite flame ano'd Ti fork

This was my supper at work tonight. I included some lights I had on me because fisk-king did, and I thought it was a cool idea.

I'm carrying a ZT 0350 right now

I have a Mora 2000 in my truck too, and yes you should check one out - the carbon steel ones are the ones that look ratty after a while, but they sharpen up wicked.

Flashaholic*

naah.. norway is on the other side of sweden.. we are on the other side.. the land before russia.

we here in Finland have our own type of knifes.. moras are kinda close, but to us.. the knife we call our own is "puukko". (and its northern variation "leuku" from lappland) and those are traditionally always with wooden handles. and scandi-grind.. well thats our puukko right there.

to us.. mora has always been the beater user general utility knife.. those that get seriously abused and misused as prybar etc.. they are cheap enough for everyone to buy here. good value and quality and easy to find and replace. they are good enough even the cheapest models to be used for years and to be cared for.. one just dont have to if one dont want to as you can buy a new one for something like 5 to 10$ when the old one gets dull

so my advice is.. get a mora if you havent gotten one yet. (or other nordic swedish etc cheap knife) and see how you like it. there is stainless versions too if one is worried about that carbon steel getting rusty and pitted with neglect use.. i call those blood stains character.. (oops.. ermm rust stains and pits because of water! yeah that i meant!) -like always.. i like "patina" on things.. shows life lived.. shelf queens and mint things... i dont really appreciate as much as scratched and used tool.

out of curiosity.. how much does the mora 2000 model cost in USA? its about 25-35$ here depending where you get it.