Acebeam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMS Canister - where to buy?

Default OMS Canister - where to buy?

I've been trying to buy one of these since January, and none of the major scuba suppliers are able to stock it. One retailer tells me they can't get one in until May!!

Does anyone know where I can buy one? Many thx

Default Re: OMS Canister - where to buy?

Ok - I guess I'm sort of answering my own question. I heard directly from OMS, and they have advised that this product is currently delisted. In other words, it looks like we won't be seeing this on the marketplace anymore...

Been waiting over two months for mine!

There are other options. The housing for my ppO2 meter came from http://tecme.de I've sent them an email asking about the availability / cost for their tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Codiak View Post
    There are other options. The housing for my ppO2 meter came from http://tecme.de I've sent them an email asking about the availability / cost for their tubes

Yeap, I think other options would be good. This is not the first time the OMS cans are on back order! I will visit a CNC shop to see if they can do a run for me out of Delrin. They are for sure not going to be $50, but we'll see.

Just need end caps with o-rings anyway

I'm interested in other options. Any info you can dig up is of interest to me. What's the interior diameter of the container from tecme?

Just went to a local machine shop to see if they can make me an OMS-like canister in Delrin. Turns out they can get Delrin pipe with close to same dimensions then build two caps and thread. They won't be $50 like OMS but may not be horribly expensive. If I had to guess based on my discussions may be $80-100 each, retail. This is for Delrin, not the cheap polycarbonate with PVC end caps.

I would be happy to purchase a Delrin canister. No question. If you can confirm final pricing, I can paypal you....

Will do. I actually have a buddy of a buddy that is an engineer that has access to manufacturing I am checking with as well. We will see what he can do. Also have another buddy that runs a CNC machine shop that I am checking with.

This is going to take a while but I'll move on it as fast as I can.

Hector

The tube from tecme is 37mm diameter with a 2mm wall and 130mm length.

I dived it to 133 this past weekend without issue.

It's really nothing my then a plastic tube with Delrin plugs on each end. Each plug has 2 o-rings and a lock screw that goes through the tube as well.

materials for this can't be more than $30 US and an hour on the lathe.

I read the whole thread and what sticks out the most is PPO2. What do you dive?

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse View Post
    I read the whole thread and what sticks out the most is PPO2. What do you dive?
    The Draeger Dolphin SCR... it's aurguable if the ppO2 meter is required as I dive the appropriate mix for the orafice and until this past weekend have never exceeded the MOD of the backgas. Still it's comforting to know for sure!

I seem to recall your posts on rebreatherworld, still flying that russkie unit?

materials for this can't be more than $30 US and an hour on the lathe.
    Well... I think it's a bit more than that. The set up is usually what kills you in CNC production so you have to order many to get a good deal. This washes out the set up fees. They have to make drawings, program the machine, probably screw up a few and finally get some product...

But yes, once the set up is done, probably less than one hour per canister. We found Delrin tube so all that has to be done is to bore the inside a bit, face the outside to look good and thread both ends. Then build the threaded caps.

Hah, I meant to turn my own ;-)

Though it'd push the length of my mini-lathe.

Tube just need facing no threads are technically required.
    Just use end plugs with dual O-Rings and a lock pin... plugs are a quick turning as you know.

My next build will be hand held but I'm already look at ways to can this battery http://www.batteryspace.com/limnni3r...wterminal.aspx

And no, an Otter box will not do!

OK, just heard from CNC shop and price of the canisters is going to be $110 with Agro gland if I end up ordering from them. They will be made from solid rod delrin black.
    I have another shop I am going to talk with.

Enlightened

will the lid be a twist type ?

Yes, that's how it came out to $110 not $175.. I don't have to put latches on it. To be honest, I don't like latches! You end up screwing a 1/4" stainless screw into a 1/4" plastic wall. Canisters look cool with latches, but I have decided the extra cost and effort is not worth the "cool" factor.

These would only have 1 lid on the top. I would have the canisters bored out to the same ID from top to bottom to allow for 10 18650s with the connector on top.
    Last edited by 350xfire; 06-04-2011 at 02:58 PM.

OK, guys, I had a piece of clear PVC 2" tubing at the house and decided to compare it to OMS canister. Turns out the tube is not polycarbonate. It is PVC clear. So I checked on materials and I will be able to offer the OMS-like cans for $80 plus shipping and paypal. If I sense enough interest I will proceed...

I have one more place I am checking with. I may be able to do better with them.

I'm still interested in the Delrin canister with the twist top.

They will not be delrin. Too expensive and I am afraid that if I get 25 of them I'll sit on them for months.

Just got an email from SCUBA.com telling me the OMS cans are DISCONTINUED... My machine shop run is in the works and should be started soon!

Just gave my machine shop the go-ahead on production. 50% deposit tomorrow and 2 week wait... I should have a solution for canisters coming soon.... Thanks to those that have asked and are waiting. Looks like the price is going to be $80 for these. A bit more than the OMS price, but may be I can make it up with volume later on the next order...

Someone asked if these were the same as OMS... Pretty much except I made some changes to allow for easier modding into dive lights. Here are the changes:
    1. The inside hole in the caps will be 1.85". This will allow an 8-cell 18650 battery pack to sit in the cap, allowing for more space up top for the connector. I was actually doing this on my lathe to the OMS.
    2. The caps will have 1/4" more thickness at the top. This will wllow for the installation of the switch without any spacers. I used a switch nut to bring the switch down a bit so the switch boot would tighten down all the way. The extra thickness will give me enough "meat" to drill out a hole for installing magnets on the caps as well. I can then use Taskled hall effect latching switch in the heads. Just swipe the head over the cap an light comes on and off...
    3. The inside hole of the caps will be 1/8" deeper so that the switch will fit in there flush.
    4. As a result of the additional thickness and depth, the caps will be about 3/8" thicker which will make the canister 3/4" longer.

How are the canisters coming along? And for $80, what exactly do we get?

Machine shop said they should have my first prototype Friday (may be)... For $80 it will be just the can... The OMS cans were available to me for less than I am paying for these. This will be clear PVC like OMS, two thicker grey caps, 6 orings (3 per cap).
    I can install agro gland and switch for additional price. Complete can with toggle will be $130. If you want to use the Taskled Hall Effect switch, I can hide the magnet in the cap (this is why thicker caps) and encase in clear silicone or JB Weld. This would be cheaper and safer than toggle with boot. First order of 25 canisters should be here in less than a week! It's been a long time and I hope the wait has been worth it.

I should have my first prototype Wednesday. Machine shop is waiting for the last of the material to come in.

It's Wednesday and we're all saying "Is it here yet?"

Don't forget to post some pictures and the dimensions of the canister. I saw a guy diving with a canister that was as big as a 40PSI pony.

OK, so I hate to say this, but... The canister is not done yet. Called the shop today and they have cut back to 4 days per week for summer and he has a couple of other jobs before me. So, he said Monday or Tuesday! I will post pics as soon as I have them.
    Thanks for your patience...

Just FYI.... after the 2nd missed date.... it's better to pad the 3rd one.... instead of "Monday or Tuesday".... say "this year" ;-)

If these were software engineers I'd say "this decade"