OMS Canister - where to buy?

lautmaschine

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to buy one of these since January, and none of the major scuba suppliers are able to stock it. One retailer tells me they can't get one in until May!! :eek:

Does anyone know where I can buy one? Many thx

lautmaschine

Newly Enlightened
Ok - I guess I'm sort of answering my own question. I heard directly from OMS, and they have advised that this product is currently delisted. In other words, it looks like we won't be seeing this on the marketplace anymore... :shakehead

Codiak

Enlightened
There are other options. The housing for my ppO2 meter came from http://tecme.de I've sent them an email asking about the availability / cost for their tubes

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are other options. The housing for my ppO2 meter came from http://tecme.de I've sent them an email asking about the availability / cost for their tubes

Yeap, I think other options would be good. This is not the first time the OMS cans are on back order! I will visit a CNC shop to see if they can do a run for me out of Delrin. They are for sure not going to be $50, but we'll see.

lautmaschine

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in other options. Any info you can dig up is of interest to me. What's the interior diameter of the container from tecme?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just went to a local machine shop to see if they can make me an OMS-like canister in Delrin. Turns out they can get Delrin pipe with close to same dimensions then build two caps and thread. They won't be $50 like OMS but may not be horribly expensive. If I had to guess based on my discussions may be $80-100 each, retail. This is for Delrin, not the cheap polycarbonate with PVC end caps.

lautmaschine

Newly Enlightened
I would be happy to purchase a Delrin canister. No question. If you can confirm final pricing, I can paypal you....

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will do. I actually have a buddy of a buddy that is an engineer that has access to manufacturing I am checking with as well. We will see what he can do. Also have another buddy that runs a CNC machine shop that I am checking with.

This is going to take a while but I'll move on it as fast as I can.

Hector

Codiak

Enlightened
The tube from tecme is 37mm diameter with a 2mm wall and 130mm length.

I dived it to 133 this past weekend without issue.

It's really nothing my then a plastic tube with Delrin plugs on each end. Each plug has 2 o-rings and a lock screw that goes through the tube as well.

materials for this can't be more than $30 US and an hour on the lathe.

Codiak

Enlightened
I read the whole thread and what sticks out the most is PPO2. What do you dive?

The Draeger Dolphin SCR... it's aurguable if the ppO2 meter is required as I dive the appropriate mix for the orafice and until this past weekend have never exceeded the MOD of the backgas. Still it's comforting to know for sure!

I seem to recall your posts on rebreatherworld, still flying that russkie unit?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
materials for this can't be more than $30 US and an hour on the lathe.

Well... I think it's a bit more than that. The set up is usually what kills you in CNC production so you have to order many to get a good deal. This washes out the set up fees. They have to make drawings, program the machine, probably screw up a few and finally get some product...

But yes, once the set up is done, probably less than one hour per canister. We found Delrin tube so all that has to be done is to bore the inside a bit, face the outside to look good and thread both ends. Then build the threaded caps.

Codiak

Enlightened

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, just heard from CNC shop and price of the canisters is going to be $110 with Agro gland if I end up ordering from them. They will be made from solid rod delrin black.
I have another shop I am going to talk with.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's how it came out to $110 not $175.. I don't have to put latches on it. To be honest, I don't like latches! You end up screwing a 1/4" stainless screw into a 1/4" plastic wall. Canisters look cool with latches, but I have decided the extra cost and effort is not worth the "cool" factor.

These would only have 1 lid on the top. I would have the canisters bored out to the same ID from top to bottom to allow for 10 18650s with the connector on top.

Last edited:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, guys, I had a piece of clear PVC 2" tubing at the house and decided to compare it to OMS canister. Turns out the tube is not polycarbonate. It is PVC clear. So I checked on materials and I will be able to offer the OMS-like cans for $80 plus shipping and paypal. If I sense enough interest I will proceed...

I have one more place I am checking with. I may be able to do better with them.

Last edited: