Help on tapping 300V DC out from 12-220V power Inverter

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
To build a 260W UHP short arc spotlight, I need to feed the ballast 300-350V DC.

I am trying to to tap the High DC out from my 12V DC-220V AC power inverter.
rated 350W.

Here is a shot of the Power Inverter opened up & you can see the Capacitor with
450V written on it.

Where do I solder to get the 300-350 DC out of it? Is it possible to tap it from the top side or do I need to take the whole thing out & try to find the 12V DC from the under side?

Some kind of drawing would be greatly appreciated! I am a noob about circuits.

Thanks for helping!

dscf9316eb.jpg

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help on tapping 450V DC out from 12-220V power Inverter

The "450V" on the cap is a rating not a voltage that is present in the cap. It just means that the cap is rated at up to 450 Volts. There is no voltage higher than 220 Volt in your power supply.

Edit to add that for your PS to even have 220 Volts, the mains suppling it have to be 220 Volts. If your PS is hooked up to 110 Volts, then that is the highest voltage that is available.

Dave

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eh, on second, thought your refering to an inverter, not a power supply. In that case the highest voltage available is ~ 220 Volts.

Dave

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, but this has been done before.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?254557-Cyclops-Thor-15MCP-to-120-Watt-UHP

Unfortunately, he didn't post details on how he tapped 300V DC out of the inverter.
For my Power Inverter,
The input is 12V DC.
The output is 220AC, 350W.

There is another guy who did this but his posts were lost. & he told me just find the Capacitor & tap the DC. maybe not 450V but it's 300V-350V or so.

The invertor works by first make 300V or so DC from the 12V input, then chop it up & down convert to 220V AC,

so, yes, there is higher than 220V in DC form on this board somewhere, just need to fin it :)

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are a "noob about circuits" it is highly recommended that you don't try to mess with high voltage, high power circuits as a learning exercise. You could kill yourself. Really, no kidding.

Please, put the lid back on and leave it alone.

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened

Please don't try to destroy the short but eventfull career of a potential Darwin's Award candidate ! :)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Guys :)

I am not good at circuit but I am pretty good with electricity, don't worry.
Plus, the power source is from a portable battery pack, about half of the energy of a Car battery,
not from the wall outlet. the volt is high but not as much punch behind it as the wall outlet.

I am extremely careful, but I need to do this.

So, still need some help from experts on where to tap for 300V DC :)

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The danger is from that 450 V capacitor you are looking at. When charged, that contains easily enough energy to kill you.

If you knew enough to safely attempt what you are doing, you would not need to be asking here. You would know how to safely discharge capacitors with a suitable resistor, how to follow a circuit and how to trace voltages with a meter.

Given your current level of knowledge, you really should not attempt this.

Bear in mind that an electric shock with as little as 50 joules could kill you, and a single AA cell contains about 10000 joules. That is 20x more energy than is needed to end your life. Your comments about what might be dangerous are very naive.

billcushman

Enlightened

Please follow the recommendations you have been given about safety. High voltages can easily deliver "The fatal current" as Tektronix used to describe it. The fatal current is relatively low. It stops the heart and you are dead. Higher currents burn you and knock you away. If you don't already know these things, you should not be attempting your project. Please be safe.

Russel

Enlightened

[...]Plus, the power source is from a portable battery pack, about half of the energy of a Car battery,
not from the wall outlet.[...]

A common 9V battery is enough to kill. Half the energy of a car battery is far more than enough! I agree with Mr Happ and Billcushman, you shouldn't attempt tapping power from inside of an inverter!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than modify an existing device, you could get a transformer to step 220v AC up to 700v then use a bridge rectifier to bring that back to 350v DC.

If you were crazy enough, you could build it yourself, but as it has already been said, it would probably result in natural selection.

Find an electronics guru to build you a custom power supply.

MikeAusC

Enlightened

Thanks Guys :)

I am not good at circuit but I am pretty good with electricity, don't worry.
Plus, the power source is from a portable battery pack, about half of the energy of a Car battery,
not from the wall outlet. the volt is high but not as much punch behind it as the wall outlet.

This is attitude will kill someone very quickly - 300 volts DC will kill much faster than 110 volts AC.

MikeAusC

Enlightened

Eh, on second, thought your refering to an inverter, not a power supply. In that case the highest voltage available is ~ 220 Volts.

Dave

No, 220 volts AC means a peak voltage of over 300 volts, so the capacitor will have well over 220 volts on it.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Here is a shot of the Power Inverter opened up & you can see the Capacitor with
450V written on it.

That capacitor is probably the place to find the high DC voltage. It looks like for diodes that is standing next to it, you might also be able to find the voltage there. Try following the traces from the capacitor to the diodes.

If you short anything, you will probably blow the inverter and touching the wrong places will give you a very nasty jolt! (It might also kill you, especially if the current run through you heart and you have a weak heart).

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened

The 9V story was interesting.

If you get shocked you should know that you should call an ambulance and get to a hospital to be monitored. Electrical shocks can cause small arrythmias that can lead to cardiac arrest up to 48h after the incident so proper monitoring is critical in that period.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all the concerns, guys. The 9V story is interesting, didn't know breaking the skin
make such a big difference, so going forward, we should never play with electricity with a cut & band-aid on.

With the skin on, electricity travels along the skin, so 110 shock rarely kill people unless one touch the wire with palm & close on the wire due to muscle contraction.

Some electricians in Asia countries test 220V AC wires with bare hand some times, the rule is always test with back of the hand, the shock will bounce the hand away. Never touch with palm, as muscle contraction will cause grabbing the wire & won't let go :poof:

I am sure most of you have felt the jolt from 110V AC some time during your life?
DC Volt risk is rated roughly as 1/3 of AC risk, so 330V DC is about 110V AC in risk, which is lower risk than 220V AC. But still, I am not under estimating the risk, I'll be extremely careful.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

DC Volt risk is rated roughly as 1/3 of AC risk, so 330V DC is about 110V AC in risk
Where are you getting this nonsense from?

As has been pointed out any voltage high enough to disturb your heart rhythm is dangerous, potentially lethal. That includes 110 V AC.

Yes, many of us have been jolted by the mains, even 240 V, in our lives. That does not mean 240 V is safe, it just means we have been lucky.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I never said it's safe. It's relative risk info. I found by reading, but regardless, we are getting off topics here.

OK, moving right along, I found the Hi DC Volts I was looking for :)

I connected My volt meter black probe to the negative of the 12C in. Connected DC to 12V supply.Wear gloves in both hands & only held the red meter probe to look for the volts alone side of the capacitor
dscf9332i.jpg

This pic. shows blow-up view of the 4 rectifier diodes, the leads coming off the top measured positive DV volts.The two on the side, measured 145 DC volts. The two in the middle, which appears to be connected on the board together, measured the same 290 DC Volts.

Now, I think I'll solder a wire to the two legs in the middle together (Increase current handling on the diode legs by 2x) to tap the 290V +.

dscf9346.jpg

My Only question remaining:

Should I be OK to use the 12V Neg Input as the "-" for my planned 290V DC outlet?
Or do I have to gain access to the "-" underside of the two middle diodes to use as "-"?

Obviously, the 12V input is much easier to access & by pass lots of circuit trace which increase current handling & reliability.

Thanks

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic

My Only question remaining:

Should I be OK to use the 12V Neg Input as the "-" for my planned 290V DC outlet?
Or do I have to gain access to the "-" underside of the two middle diodes to use as "-"?

Obviously, the 12V input is much easier to access & by pass lots of circuit trace which increase current handling & reliability.

Thanks

I do not know the schematic of the inverter, but I would suggest that you search some more for the minus. Just because the meter shows some voltage does not mean there is a direct connection. It is probably present on the downside of the two other diodes (D3, D7).

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, 220 volts AC means a peak voltage of over 300 volts, so the capacitor will have well over 220 volts on it.

I hadn't taken that into consideration. I always think in RMS voltage for some reason, when it comes to AC I guess.

If you knew enough to safely attempt what you are doing, you would not need to be asking here.

This is also why I probably shouldn't have posted in this thread!:crackup:

Carry on ma_sha1. Do be careful though.:)

Dave